PDA

View Full Version : MySql backups?

Judy G. Russell
May 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Okay... I need to know how to backup MySql databases on a shared host where the tool I have available is phpMyAdmin 2.7.0-pl2.

Be gentle. This whole area is very much like magic as far as I'm concerned. Step by step (for dummies) directions would be very much appreciated.

Gary Maltzen
May 22nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
how to backup MySql databases on a shared host where the tool I have available is phpMyAdmin 2.7.0-pl2I'm working with an older version (2.6.0) but the interface should be the same...

From the main window select "Databases"
Select the "Export" tab
Select the database to export
Select the "SQL" format (?)
Under "SQL Options" enable "Extended Inserts"
Enable "Save as file"
If you are exporting a single database change "__SERVER__" to "__DB__" in the filename template, optionally add a ".sql" extension
If the database is any consequential size I recommend selecting an appropriate "zipped" option (Win/DOS - "zipped", Linux - "bzipped")
Click the "GO" button and you will start downloading the (compressed) archive.

Judy G. Russell
May 22nd, 2006, 11:12 PM
Outstanding. Thanks, Gary!

Gary Maltzen
May 23rd, 2006, 01:10 PM
Ended up installing the latest (2.8.1) version of phpMyAdmin on a server just to check -- and, yes, the interface is basically unchanged.

Judy G. Russell
May 23rd, 2006, 03:05 PM
One more question, Gary: assume that the database is on someone else's server that I'm just a shared user of. Any difference? And another question (okay... so I lied) -- if the database is one for a message board, should the board be temporarily inactivated while running the backup?

Thanks!

ktinkel
May 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
One more question, Gary: assume that the database is on someone else's server that I'm just a shared user of. Any difference? And another question (okay... so I lied) -- if the database is one for a message board, should the board be temporarily inactivated while running the backup?Are you talking about vBulletin by any chance? If so, it has its own database backup thingie in Import & Maintenance section (at the bottom of the Admin screen’s left-hand column).

I never shut down the board during the backup; maybe Gary can tell me whether I ought to.

I suspect you already know that and are asking about something else, but just in case . . .

Gary Maltzen
May 23rd, 2006, 05:03 PM
on someone else's server that I'm just a shared user of. Any difference?Works the sameif the database is one for a message board, should the board be temporarily inactivated while running the backup?Disabling the board (i.e, inhibiting database changes) would ensure a more "consistent" backup. I would make the call dependent upon how long the backup takes.

Judy G. Russell
May 23rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
Gotcha. Thanks, Gary!

Judy G. Russell
May 23rd, 2006, 05:48 PM
Actually, I'm talking about both vBulletin and another bit of software my sister is using. I don't think it's necessary to shut down vBulletin before a backup, but they recommend it before an upgrade.