PDA

View Full Version : Chacon out, Small in rotation

ndebord
May 19th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Looks like that injury to Chacon's shin is worse than initially reported. He will miss at least one start and Small will replace him against the Mutts on Sunday!

Meanwhile, although the Yankees lost 6-2 to the Rangers, Wright was good through 6 innings, but fell apart in the 7th. Pretty good for a guy whose conditioning can't be up to speed yet. Caveat. The middle relief corp is thinner than I thought. Losing Sturtze was hard on them, as he ate up innings. They need another pitcher who can go 2 innings often.

And tonight, the Mutts and Johnson going against Gonzalez. Normally a lock for the Bronx Bombers, but...

ndebord
May 22nd, 2006, 01:06 AM
Well, Small gave up 4 runs. He was good through 4 innings, but only made it through 4 1/3 innings. That last inning he got the ball up in the strike zone and paid for it with four big runs.

Final score 4-3 Mets. The Yankees stranded 15 runners as Glavine was strong through 6 innings and Wright redeemed himself and shut the Yankees out in the last inning.

Small looked good for awhile and probably ran out of gas, as it was his first start of the year.

Meanwhile, the Yankee outfield is now open audition time for minor league players. Cabrera, Kevin Reese, and now Terrence Long are all up from Columbus. Only Cabrera really has a chance to stick with the club imo.

As for the relief corp. After Small gave up the 4 runs in the start of the 5th inning, the Yankee bullpen shut down the Mets the rest of the way.

Myers 2/3 inning, no hits, no runs
Bean 1.0 inning, no hits, no runs
Villone 1.0 inning, no hits, no runs
Erickson, 1.0 inning, no hits, no runs

Pretty good stuff!

Judy G. Russell
May 22nd, 2006, 09:14 AM
Pretty good stuff!Not good enough!!!!

Mike Landi
May 22nd, 2006, 09:43 AM
Not good enough!!!!

I blame ARod for this loss. He and Jeter are polar opposites in the clutch. ARod is a waste when the chips are down. Jeter is golden.

I think it was Earl Weaver who said something to the effect that if a player is going to hit into a double play, he should have the good sense to strike out! ARod, take a note!

ndebord
May 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
I blame ARod for this loss. He and Jeter are polar opposites in the clutch. ARod is a waste when the chips are down. Jeter is golden.

I think it was Earl Weaver who said something to the effect that if a player is going to hit into a double play, he should have the good sense to strike out! ARod, take a note!

Mike,

Either ARod is putting too much pressure on himself (the good scenario) or he is choking in the Big Apple (the bad scenario). If the latter, then we're up the proverbial creek, because nobody, but absolutely nobody will pick up his contract, despite his skills. They would have from Texas, but if he fails in the Bronx, everybody will know he can't handle pressure under the glare of the House that Ruth built.

<sigh>

As for the relief corp, they done good, but who are these guys? Colter Bean is a career minor leaguer. Has a great record this year at Columbus, but still his fastball tops out at 84. (good sinker, slider, like Nelson, but without the velocity). The knock on him is that he can't get lefthanders out.

ndebord
May 22nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Not good enough!!!!

Judy,

The heart of the order was out of the game: Matsui, Sheff and Posada. They did good despite that...O.K. they lost the game, but the positives. Small pitched four no run innings before he ran out of gas and got the ball up in the zone and got killed. This no-name relief corp gave up ZERO runs from that point on and this collection of no-names managed to get within 1 run (4-3) before the Mets closer closed them out.

Judy G. Russell
May 22nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
I think it was Earl Weaver who said something to the effect that if a player is going to hit into a double play, he should have the good sense to strike out! ARod, take a note!From your typing fingers to his reading eyes...

Judy G. Russell
May 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
As I said, not good enough. If the pitching is good, the hitting is crappy. If the hitting is good, the pitching is crappy. Bleah.

Mike Landi
May 22nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
What ever happened to Mendoza? I heard a rumor that he was on the Yankees....

Mike Landi
May 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
We have to face it. ARod is a player that will get us to the playoffs with his glove and his day-to-day play. However, in specific, clutch, situations, he will choke.

He cannot mentally handle the pressure. He can handle being a cog in the machine and he will hit plenty of HRs. That will be great to pad leads or being comebacks. But, when the game is on the line...forget it.

Judy G. Russell
May 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
I'm sure afraid you're right. I mean how many runners did he leave in scoring position yesterday? Seven??? And that wasn't even in a division game that mattered!

ndebord
May 22nd, 2006, 07:48 PM
What ever happened to Mendoza? I heard a rumor that he was on the Yankees....

Mike,

Mendoza is down in the minors rehabing from yet another arm surgery. He "may" be close to being ready, but nobody knows how much, if anything, is left in his tank.

ndebord
May 22nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
As I said, not good enough. If the pitching is good, the hitting is crappy. If the hitting is good, the pitching is crappy. Bleah.

Judy,

The pitching was lights out for 4 innings. Horrible for 1/3 of an inning and lights out for the remainder of the game. The hitters left 15 on base and A-Rod ain't a lightning rod, more like a broken push-rod.

<sigh>

Mike Landi
May 22nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
Boy, we need help. Wang had a bad day....and the bats are asleep.

Mt. George is rumbling!

Mike Landi
May 22nd, 2006, 08:29 PM
A-Rod ain't a lightning rod, more like a broken push-rod.

<sigh>

...more of a dip-stick lately! How many errors last week? Three?

ndebord
May 22nd, 2006, 10:52 PM
...more of a dip-stick lately! How many errors last week? Three?

Mike,

Not unsurprisingly, the Yankees lost the opener tonight in Boston 9-5 as Schilling got the win and Wang the loss.

It is beginning to look like last year's rookie corp of starters have little consistency so far this year.

Today Wang was great for 2 innings, then he gave up 4 runs in the 3rd inning, then was great for 3 more innings.

It was not completley Wang's fault though, as a young pitcher, he failed to shake off a bad call from his catcher as Torre relates:

"Catcher Jorge Posada called for an 0-and-1 fastball to be high to Ramirez, but the Red Sox slugger feasted on it. He hit a pitch clocked at 93 mph well over the wall in centerfield for a two-run home run, making it a 4-1 Boston lead.

Wang is a sinkerball pitcher, and Torre would have liked something down, not up. "It's Manny's neighborhood, not his neighborhood, and he killed that ball," Torre said."

Wang's final line was 6 innings, 9 hits, and 7 runs, but it was at the end of the six innings and the beginning of the 7th where Wang completely lost it and gave up 3 additional runs.

Judy G. Russell
May 22nd, 2006, 11:11 PM
Mt. George is rumbling!Batten down the hatches!!

Mike Landi
May 23rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
I hope the Yankees settle down. It is only May. Maybe, we will find some consistency in the rest of the year. <sigh>

Judy G. Russell
May 23rd, 2006, 03:15 PM
I hope the Yankees settle down. It is only May. Maybe, we will find some consistency in the rest of the year. <sigh>That would be nice...