PDA

View Full Version : Cold War,DARPA,Quantum Game Theory,Nash equilibria

davidh
May 19th, 2006, 12:58 AM
I happened to run across this while testing out the Google blog search.

Quantum Game Theory arXiv Nash equilibria and game theory profoundly affected the outcome of the 20th Century – preventing escalation of Cold War conflict between the US and USSR, for example. Quantum game theoretic approaches similarly hold the potential to influence strategic developments in the coming century. Quantum communications networks are already operating in research laboratories across the globe. With the recent birth of the DARPA/BBN quantum internet, quantum game theory has left the realm of academia and entered the world of practical applications, showing promise to transform politics, economics, conflict and warfare in the decades to come. In a recent PhD thesis, Iqbal reviews the current state of the field. See also "Quantum Pseudo-Telepathy" by Brassard et al, "Classical Rules in Quantum Games" by van Enk, "Quantum Strategies" by Meyer.
- posted by coherence * @ 08:40 Comments | Trackback

UNQUOTE

http://superconducting.blogspot.com/2005/04/quantum-interference-effect.html

How much of this is true is a good question. Don't ask me. Some of it sounds plausible. I'm not motivated yet to try to track down the credentials of any of these referenced persons or organizations.

If you get bored with crossword puzzles, then some of the math in some of those papers would probably keep you occupied.

I don't know how to compare the relative difficulty of quantum communications versus quantum computing. However, one might take the analogy between digital communication (e.g. telegraph/Samuel Morse) and digital computing (von Neuman) as a guideline. There was almost a 100 year gap between those two. So to me it does not seem so implausible that DARPA is working on quantum communication (using the principle of entanglement, etc.).

David H.

P.S.
It would be interesting to find out if anyone has actually measured the speed of quantum communication. Even the old Michelson 1879 experiment to measure the speed of light still seems interesting to me today. I wonder what kind of apparatus they might use today to measure the speed of quantum entanglement? (That is, besides using the universe itself and gravitational lenses as the apparatus, as proposed by one of the SETI scientists.)

The Michelson-Morley Experiment

Michael Fowler
U. Va. Physics

The Nature of Light

As a result of Michelson's efforts in 1879, the speed of light was known to be 186,350 miles per second with a likely error of around 30 miles per second. This measurement, made by timing a flash of light travelling between mirrors in Annapolis, agreed well with less direct measurements based on astronomical observations. Still, this did not really clarify the nature of light. Two hundred years earlier, Newton had suggested that light consists of tiny particles generated in a hot object, which spray out at very high speed, bounce off other objects, and are detected by our eyes. Newton's arch-enemy Robert Hooke, on the other hand, thought that light must be a kind of wave motion, like sound. To appreciate his point of view, let us briefly review the nature of sound.

The Wavelike Nature of Sound

Actually, sound was already quite well understood by the ancient Greeks. The essential point they had realized is that sound is generated by a vibrating material object, such as a bell, a string or a drumhead. Their explanation was that the vibrating drumhead, for example, alternately pushes and pulls on the air directly above it, sending out waves of compression and decompression (known as rarefaction), like the expanding circles of ripples from a disturbance on the surface of a pond. .....

UNQUOTE

http://galileoandeinstein.physics.virginia.edu/lectures/michelson.html

Judy G. Russell
May 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM
If you get bored with crossword puzzles, then some of the math in some of those papers would probably keep you occupied.Uh... er... um... no. I had to take the ACTs for college. I was placed, based on the test results, in advanced English, advanced languages, advanced social students, even advanced science... and remedial math.

davidh
May 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
advanced social students

Would you like to take that for a motto? Lindsey has "I'm here for the beer".

David H.

Judy G. Russell
May 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Would you like to take that for a motto? Lindsey has "I'm here for the beer". Lindsey grabbed that one first. And it isn't nice to make fun of people who make tyops they're spill chuckers can't czech.

davidh
May 19th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Lindsey grabbed that one first. And it isn't nice to make fun of people who make tyops they're spill chuckers can't czech.

I need to clean my glasses. At first I thought you said "spill cracker crumbs". I had assumed you were snacking at your desk. Well, at least, I didn't think you were drinking beer. I'm at the stage where crackers are a bit of a challenge, not to mention beer.

David H.

Judy G. Russell
May 19th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Crackers and beer sound like a nice snack...

davidh
May 19th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Crackers and beer sound like a nice snack...

Jamaican beer:

http://www.redstripebeer.com/

Jamaican water crackers:

http://www.goudasfoods.com/products/product.php?cid=45

David H.

Judy G. Russell
May 19th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I love Red Stripe. I particularly love Red Stripe while lying on a beach in Ocho Rios...

davidh
May 20th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I love Red Stripe. I particularly love Red Stripe while lying on a beach in Ocho Rios...

I've never been to Jamaica or that beach wherever it is. Sounds nice.

My Dad used to make ginger beer. Sometimes the bottles blew up. Anyway I was addicted to ginger beer as a kid even tho the alcohol is negligible. Probably genetic or something. My Dad loved ginger snaps, candied ginger.

The supermarkets have Jamaican ginger beer but the supermarkets are so big I sometimes get lost. So I was going to some of the local spanish grocery stores or carniceria [sp?] to get ginger beer. But too bad, one store changed management and another one I used to go to both stopped carrying Jamaica ginger beer. Actually the canadian stuff used to be what I drank up north years ago when going to Niagara Falls or Toronto, but I have no idea if they make it in canada anymore?

Since the local spanish stores stopped carrying Jamaica ginger beer, I had to switch to yerba mate soda. Some ladies from Argentina hooked me on mate when I was just a young whippersnapper. Trouble is it's too sweet, like colas. But I guess rum and yerba mate soda would be a good alternative to rum and coke.

There's another store run by east indiians from trinidad/tobago but they have a different brand of ginger beer not as good and the place is farther to go.

So thiat's how I finally decided to try Red Stripe ... no ginger beer and yerba mate soda too sweet for the old man, so finally down the hatch with a bottle of cold Red Stripe on a hot day. But then I fell asleep.

So in conclusion, hot tea or iced tea is probably both less expensive and healthier than any of the above. I wonder, is it kosher to drink tea while listening to Bob Marley? Or would that be too "colonial"? I don't really know what is Reggae or not, so if I win the TAPCIS vacation trip raffle maybe I'll go to Kingstson and find out. Or Brooklyn?

David H.

Judy G. Russell
May 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM
So in conclusion, hot tea or iced tea is probably both less expensive and healthier than any of the above. I wonder, is it kosher to drink tea while listening to Bob Marley? Or would that be too "colonial"? I don't really know what is Reggae or not, so if I win the TAPCIS vacation trip raffle maybe I'll go to Kingstson and find out. Or Brooklyn?I think you'll be damned to somewhere, probably South Carolina, if you drink tea while listening to Reggae. Pass me another Red Stripe...

Toni Savage
May 20th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Interesting how quickly this thread went from quantum physics to food. Faster than the speed of light!

davidh
May 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM
Interesting how quickly this thread went from quantum physics to food. Faster than the speed of light!

I went to a "fair" at a health food store a few years ago. There was a rep from a bottled water co. there. If I remember correctly, seems like they were promoting some kind of weird water. Speaking of quantum stuff and weirdness. Sounded pretty hokey to me. But still, maybe a good way to make money, cater to instinctive drives (thirst, etc.), health concerns, and curiousity, all together.

I think I'm more likely to believe in the efficacy of holy water than weird water.

In fact, I heard an interview on EWTN by newsanchor Raymond Arroyo of Fr. Lebar, then (2000?) the diocesan exorcist in NY. Fr. Lebar told about how the exorcist uses holy water combined with placebo (i.e. control) and double-blind methodology (however Fr. Lebar did not use those scientific terms per se) to distinguish, for example, between demonic oppression and possession. Of course, before they do any exorcism, they require a psychiatric examination.

Host: Raymond Arroyo with Fr. James LeBar
Date Produced: 10/27/2000
Description: Exorcism: Fact and Fiction

http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?pgnu=8&SeriesID=-6892288

The link may only be valid for a certain number of weeks, because the position of the audio download item in the list changes as news programs are added more or less once a week.

This kind of phenomenon is quite rare, maybe only a couple cases a year in a large diocese (many dioceses have no exorcist, maybe the bishop there doesn't believe in God or the Devil or both?). So doing a statistical study would be extremely difficult just because of the rarity, but considering legal/privacy issues, then essentially impossible. So at best the information is anecdotal, and one has to trust or not trust the narrator.

David

Judy G. Russell
May 21st, 2006, 09:53 AM
Interesting how quickly this thread went from quantum physics to food. Faster than the speed of light!We aim to please! (Nice to know that nothing ever changes, isn't it? We can drift a thread better than anybody!!)