PDA

View Full Version : „Fat Man“ am Ziel

davidh
May 10th, 2006, 11:35 AM
http://www.faz.net/s/Rub501F42F1AA064C4CB17DF1C38AC00196/Doc~E2F17FD70B7A84C09ACB7479977C10E4E~ATpl~Ecommon ~Scontent.html

Judy G. Russell
May 10th, 2006, 02:29 PM
What I want to know is how the guy managed to have a full year to spend walking across the country without having his last steps into bankruptcy court...

rlohmann
May 13th, 2006, 05:40 PM
An American publisher (unidentified) wants him to do a book and a British group is offering to sponsor a walk through GB or around the world.

rlohmann
May 13th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Hallo David,

Bist Du FAZ Leser?

(Wenn ja, dann weißt Du bestimmt mehr. :cool: )

Judy G. Russell
May 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM
That explains his future income. How'd he afford it up until now?

davidh
May 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Hallo David,

Bist Du FAZ Leser?

(Wenn ja, dann weißt Du bestimmt mehr. :cool: )

I got bored reading Google news in English, so clicked over to Google's German page and happened to see this (Fat Man) story which I had not seen on the English side (tho' I'm sure it was there somewhere, I usually only read the World news and Science news pages).

Since "Fat Man" was on FAX, I went to the science pages of Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) and it seemed like their science pages had more interesting stuff laid out than Netscape, Google, Yahoo english science news pages.

I wonder if perhaps the web-only news sites follow some kind of marketing formula (perhaps semi-automated by computer) for choosing news stories which will tend to bring up linked/associated advert hits that will generate the highest revenue?

From what I have read about St. Padre Pio (d. 1968) and San Antonio Maria Claret (d.1870), both of them more or less considered reading newspapers to be pollution of the mind. Of course, hearing confessions so many hours a day, they probably had their fill of enough garbage, that reading the paper was over-the-top ;)

BTW, I wonder if the Scandinavians and Slavs tend to take their scientific words from Latin-Greek as do the French and English, or do they create them from native words as in Wasserstoff in German for Hydrogen ? I guess the Romanians might be an interesting case, as to whether they take science words from slavic or greco-roman roots ?

David H.