View Full Version : Firefox 1.5.0.3 available

davidh
May 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
my FF is set to update automatically

so I don't know what's in the release

David H.

Judy G. Russell
May 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM
It's a security update fixing a particular denial of service issue.

rlohmann
May 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
And apparently a fairly serious fix.

Poor Carole, who is not a computer geek, was a little intimidated at the nearly-full-screen announcement from Mozilla to the effect that she should UPDATE FIREFOX NOW!

Judy G. Russell
May 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
Poor Carole, who is not a computer geek, was a little intimidated at the nearly-full-screen announcement from Mozilla to the effect that she should UPDATE FIREFOX NOW!Oh dear... I do like the fact that they really tell people to update, but not if it scares people!

rlohmann
May 3rd, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evidently the Fx people had found a vulnerable area in the software that really concerned them, and they made an effort to make sure that users took the requirement for the update seriously.

It's hard to quarrel with that.

Judy G. Russell
May 3rd, 2006, 11:14 PM
It's hard to quarrel with that.Indeed. Especially since they do the fixes so quickly.

Mike Landi
May 4th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Imagine....

...a software company that takes pride in their product and reacts to bugs quickly!

I wonder if this disease is contagious...in the Seattle area?

Judy G. Russell
May 4th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Imagine....

...a software company that takes pride in their product and reacts to bugs quickly!

I wonder if this disease is contagious...in the Seattle area?Errrr... no. At least not in Redmond. Not there...

davidh
May 4th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Imagine....

I wonder if this disease is contagious...in the Seattle area?

John Dvorak wrote an editorial (on Ziff Davis owned site, etc.) recently in which he suggested that Microsoft had actually hurt their own company by tying Internet Explorer so tightly into the Windows OS. Maybe that's a plausible argument. I.e. because of the tight tie in, "fixing" MS IE could break a bunch of other things in Windows.

For all practial purposes, the number of Windows applications is currently "infinite" so it's pretty hard to test bug fixes "thoroughly".

Maybe there really is something to the "open source" idea? Is there an "open source" political party or church?

David H.

Judy G. Russell
May 4th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Is there an "open source" ... church?Check out the Unitarians...

Dan in Saint Louis
May 4th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Check out the Unitarians...Or the "Church of What's Happenin' Now", Pastor Flip Wilson.

ktinkel
May 4th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Maybe there really is something to the "open source" idea? Is there an "open source" political party or church?Dunno, but some of the rhetoric at open source web sites does sound a lot like a sermon! <g>

davidh
May 4th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Check out the Unitarians...

Do they use Mozilla Bugzilla (for developing doctrine) ?

David H.

rlohmann
May 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM
When I was in high school, I tried to establish the Holy Lohmann Catholic Church, the main sacraments of which were sex, booze, and gluttony.

Unfortunately, it was a Catholic high school, so....

Judy G. Russell
May 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Or the "Church of What's Happenin' Now", Pastor Flip Wilson.I remember that! Sigh. I remember a lot...

Judy G. Russell
May 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Do they use Mozilla Bugzilla (for developing doctrine) ?But of course. What else would True Believers use?

Judy G. Russell
May 4th, 2006, 09:09 PM
When I was in high school, I tried to establish the Holy Lohmann Catholic Church, the main sacraments of which were sex, booze, and gluttony. Unfortunately, it was a Catholic high school, so....I gather that Sr. Mary Merciless was not amused...

Mike
May 5th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Unfortunately, it was a Catholic high school, so....
...so it was redundant?

davidh
May 5th, 2006, 01:21 AM
But of course. What else would True Believers use? At least the True Believers in Beelzebug ...

rlohmann
May 5th, 2006, 08:41 AM
No, actually, my high school teachers were Christian Brothers, an astonishingly liberal--for the times--religious order.

They basically just gritted their teeth, muttered, "this, too, shall pass," and agreed to graduate me as soon as legally possible in the hope that I would go and bother somebody else. :)

Judy G. Russell
May 5th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Beelzebug ...Ah.... worshipped by scammers, spammers and virus writers?

Judy G. Russell
May 5th, 2006, 10:08 AM
They basically just gritted their teeth, muttered, "this, too, shall pass," and agreed to graduate me as soon as legally possible in the hope that I would go and bother somebody else. :)And, of course, you did!

davidh
May 5th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Ah.... worshipped by scammers, spammers and virus writers?

No, I just thought Bub and Bug would be a good rhyme, esp. with the "l" and the "z", too, as in "zilla".

David H.

P.S.
I promise not to submit any poems in any poetry contest.

Judy G. Russell
May 5th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I promise not to submit any poems in any poetry contest.Yeah, you probably should plan on keeping your day job...