PDA

View Full Version : Cannot connect TAPCIS

George Perry
May 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM
I last used TAPCIS about 2 years ago and was using Broadband and got COM/IP installed (cost me $$$$).

Now I need to check if anyone is still posting E-mails to my CServe address. But when I open TAPCIS and say get New... I get a msg Unable to open Fossil2 followed by Driver not installed(-30)

What is Fossil? and what "Driver"?

Thanks.

George

Judy G. Russell
May 1st, 2006, 10:23 AM
Now I need to check if anyone is still posting E-mails to my CServe address.George, did you ever set up your CServe mail for POP3 access? That would be a far easier way of checking your CServe account -- just go to www.mail2web.com (http://www,mail2web.com), enter your full CServe address (xxxxx.xxx@compuserve.com) and the mail-only-plain-text password and check the mail there.

George Perry
May 2nd, 2006, 04:29 AM
That site does not work. Using both forms of my Cserve e-mail address ( name and ID numbers) with my CServe PW I get msg Error"Login failure Please check name & PW". It works O.K. with my btinternet E-mail.

George

Judy G. Russell
May 2nd, 2006, 10:52 AM
You can't use your Compuserve password; you have to use your plain text email only password. Alternatively, do you have any CServe software still on your computer? (If not, downloading and installing it will probably be easier than trying to get Tapcis set back up for this one purpose.)

George Perry
May 2nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
I have not had CServe program since I went Broadband and got rid of the old modem. Then I used TAPCIS-COM/IP to access my mail and the forums. I have a CD with 4.02 for WIN95/98/NT4 will that run on WIN ME and connect through my Broadband modem?

George

Judy G. Russell
May 2nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
I have a CD with 4.02 for WIN95/98/NT4 will that run on WIN ME and connect through my Broadband modem?I think it will but the folks on the Compuserve Classic (http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-cssoftware) support forum will know for sure.

George Perry
May 3rd, 2006, 03:53 AM
I took a look at msg #43319.2 in "General Connection Issues - Broadband".

I will have a go later today.

George

Judy G. Russell
May 3rd, 2006, 08:57 AM
George, you don't need to switch to a BYOA account just to connect and check your mail. If you already have a CServe account, just install the software, change the settings to ride an existing connection (Winsock) and log in. The only thing BYOA gives you is a lower monthly fee, and if you're getting ready to dump your CServe account, then that's not worth it. Moreover, if you REALLY just want to occasionally check your email, then there's a $2.95/mo plan that's better (I think you get 1-2 hours of connect time, which is more than enough for an occasional email check!). You can only get it if you call in and tell them you want that plan or you'll cancel.

George Perry
May 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks for that.

I managed to re-install 4.0.2 and am connecting O.K. to my Mail box and collecting CServe mail.

But, at this moment in time, I have not a clue how I did it!!!!!! Just said YES to most questions and kept my fingers crossed.

George

Judy G. Russell
May 3rd, 2006, 02:02 PM
As long as it works, who cares how you did it???

Do keep in mind that there is that less expensive plan if you want to keep your CServe account. I finally dumped mine a while ago.

George Perry
May 4th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Thanks Judy for your help. I'll give the less expensive plan a thought.

George

earler
May 4th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Do you happen to know how to cancel an aol account? I've had one for years, for only $4.95, but never use it, so might as well cancel it.

-er

Judy G. Russell
May 4th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Glad we could help.

Judy G. Russell
May 4th, 2006, 10:51 AM
They don't make it easy for folks not in the US:

To Cancel Your AOLŪ Membership Over the Phone

To cancel your AOL account over the phone, all you need to do is call up AOLŪ Member Services at 1-888-265-8008. You can speak to our representatives to get your account cancelled. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

To Cancel Your AOL Membership Though U.S. Mail

You can request the cancellation of your AOL account through the U.S. mail. Just send your request to:

AOL
PO BOX 17100
Jacksonville, FL 32245-7100

To Cancel Your AOL Membership Though Fax

If you prefer sending in your request through fax, please send it to us at 1-703-433-7283.

Notes:

* If you choose to write or fax us, please include a brief note stating the nature of your request, the primary billing contact's full name, phone number, address and handwritten signature.
* In addition to that, for account security purpose please provide any one of the following:
o The master screen name of the AOL account
o The last four digits of the current method of payment (for your security, please include only the last four digits)
o The answer to the account security question of the master screen name.
* Cancellation will take effect within 72 hours of receipt of your request and AOL will send you a written confirmation. Please note that AOL LLC reserves the right to charge and collect fees, surcharges or costs incurred before your cancellation takes effect.

earler
May 4th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Thank you. I have vonage, a voip service, with a number in florida, so I can call any toll free number without charge. Therefore, I'll make the call.

-er

Judy G. Russell
May 4th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Excellent. Glad to help.

earler
May 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
it all worked out........after having to go through a lot of questions that I had to answer to the computer and finally got a human being, who arranged it quickly. I checked my aol email to be certain, too, and have a reference number in case there is a glitch.

-er