PDA

View Full Version : Firefox homepage "hijacked" ?

davidh
April 28th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I had my start / home page in Firefox set to "blank". But today when I started Firefox it told me that my browser was up to date *and* my home page was set to a Firefox-branded Google "portal". Even tho' I had already updated to 1.5.0.2 a couple weeks ago.

I assume this is either intentional by Firefox or a glitch.

Anybody else seen this ?

David H.

Judy G. Russell
April 28th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Hmmmm... that's not good. 1.5.0.2 is the current version, so it shouldn't have hijacked your homepage! (Not that it should do it in an update, but...)

Dan in Saint Louis
April 28th, 2006, 01:52 PM
home page was set to a Firefox-branded Google "portal". Even tho' I had already updated to 1.5.0.2 a couple weeks ago.

I have seen something similar when I am moving my profile to another machine (it travels with me on a USB flash RAM). It seems to be a temporary disruption of the profile because of the change in environment. It ain't supposed to happen (the profile should be self-contained), but HEY! This is Windows!

At any rate, I click back to my preferred home page and it never appears again on that same machine.

davidh
April 28th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I have seen something similar when I am moving my profile to another machine (it travels with me on a USB flash RAM). It seems to be a temporary disruption of the profile because of the change in environment. It ain't supposed to happen (the profile should be self-contained), but HEY! This is Windows!

At any rate, I click back to my preferred home page and it never appears again on that same machine.

Looks like it might have been caused by a system crash. My FF bookmarks.html file was empty too. Fortunately, FF seems to make backups of it, so I grabbed a backup copy.

At least I'll now know to restore my bookmarks file next time anything funny happens, whatever....

David H.

Lindsey
April 28th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Hmmmm... that's not good. 1.5.0.2 is the current version, so it shouldn't have hijacked your homepage! (Not that it should do it in an update, but...)
I remember that happening to me once with a Mozilla (or was it Netscape?) upgrade. My homepage got changed from blank to a directory on my hard drive, which really spooked me (it was more than a little unnerving to see the browser launch and then display a list of files in whatever folder it was looking at...) until I realized that somehow the homepage setting had gotten altered.

--Lindsey

earler
April 29th, 2006, 04:51 AM
What I do is save the firefox folder after closing firefox. I can then move it to another system. I do so, to my laptop, thence to my system in the country when I get down there. No problems at all.

-er

Dan in Saint Louis
April 29th, 2006, 09:42 AM
What I do is save the firefox folder after closing firefox. I can then move it to another system.That works quite well as long as nothing corrupts the profile in the meantime, which seems to be what happened to David. Actually, closing the Firefox application also properly closes all the files in your profile, so it would have to be a crash while FF is still open to do any damage.

By carrying my profile around on a Jump Drive I have no additional saving or copying to do. All I have to do, anywhere I go, is create a shortcut (if FF is already installed) that points to my profile.

If FF is not installed on that machine, I have a batch file on the Jump Drive itself that both starts an instance of FF stored on the Jump Drive and points to my traveling profile. It has to be a batch file rather than a shortcut because shortcuts require actual named drive letters, which may not be consistent on different machines, while batch files respect the old "/" and ".." DOS pathname conventions.

Gary Maltzen
April 29th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Displaying the Google home page along with a message about "latest version" will occur any time you create a new profile in 1.5.0.x -- including, of course, reinstating a crashed/missing profile.

Judy G. Russell
April 29th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I remember that happening to me once with a Mozilla (or was it Netscape?) upgrade. My homepage got changed from blank to a directory on my hard drive, which really spooked me (it was more than a little unnerving to see the browser launch and then display a list of files in whatever folder it was looking at...) until I realized that somehow the homepage setting had gotten altered.Egads! I don't remember anything in Mozilla or Netscape changing things to display something on my own system!

Dan in Saint Louis
April 29th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Egads! I don't remember anything in Mozilla or Netscape changing things to display something on my own system!I've never seen that unintentionally, but we have intentionally set my wife's home page to be bookmarks.html. I don't know if she even knows there is a different way to get to it!

Judy G. Russell
April 29th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I've never seen that unintentionally, but we have intentionally set my wife's home page to be bookmarks.html. I don't know if she even knows there is a different way to get to it!I've done that myself, but I've never seen it happen without somebody sitting down and making it happen!

Lindsey
May 8th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Egads! I don't remember anything in Mozilla or Netscape changing things to display something on my own system!
It happened to me just that once; I never did figure out just why that change was made in the course of the upgrade.

--Lindsey