PDA

View Full Version : A correction...

PeteHall
April 25th, 2006, 05:36 PM
From the Kent Messenger...

A report in last week's Kent Messenger incorrectly stated that the Maidstone Club in Earl Street, Maidstone, is a lawyers' club. It is a gentlemen's club. We apologise for the error.

davidh
April 25th, 2006, 09:44 PM
In Florida it seems that a "gentlemen's club" is another name for bar with strippers. What does it mean in UK ?

David H.

Lindsey
April 25th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Pete!! How the hell are you, guy? Good to see you around here again!

(Great quote -- uh, but look out for Judy...)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 25th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Pete! Even if you are lawyer-bashing, it's good to see you!

Jeff
April 26th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Oh that is good! Very good! And very good to see you hear.

- Jeff

Jeff
April 26th, 2006, 01:33 PM
In Florida it seems that a "gentlemen's club" is another name for bar with strippers. What does it mean in UK ?

David H.

In general, in Europe (of which the tight little island is proudly not a part), it means an upscale brothel.

- Jeff

PeteHall
April 27th, 2006, 04:33 PM

It isn't immediately clear... it could mean a strip/lapdancing club, but I imagine they mean the traditional retreat for the upper crust gent. They are something like an exclusive country club, in that you don't normally apply to join but have to be proposed by an existing member and vetted by committee, but instead of golf and tennis they just provide somewhere to meet friends away from the ladies, to gamble (At White's, Lord Alvanley had a £3000 bet with a friend, a large sum at the time, as to which of two raindrops would first reach the bottom of a pane of the bow window) and to have a meal. Some clubs' like the Royal Automobile Club and the Handlebar Club (moustaches) have some kind of 'theme' but others are just a bunch of like-minded people

Bertie Wooster had the Drones Club, Mycroft Holmes had the Diogenes Club, Winston Churchill, Charles Darwin and Rudyard Kipling had the Athenaeum Club

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen's_club_(traditional)

PeteHall
April 27th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Pete!! How the hell are you, guy? Good to see you around here again!

I just drifted away from CIS things recently through boredom mainly... not helped by trying to use an underpowered laptop that doesn't seem to like the lastest versions of Firefox (much waiting while the hard drive thrashes around)

(Great quote -- uh, but look out for Judy...)

Don't know what you mean... just found this interesting piece and thought it might interest folks

Lindsey
April 27th, 2006, 09:45 PM
not helped by trying to use an underpowered laptop that doesn't seem to like the lastest versions of Firefox (much waiting while the hard drive thrashes around)
Oh -- yeah, I've been there. Not fun! But I'm glad you're here now!

[QUOTE=PeteHall]Don't know what you mean... just found this interesting piece and thought it might interest folks
Yeah. Right. Suuuuurre! :rolleyes:

--Lindsey

davidh
April 28th, 2006, 10:51 AM
away from the ladies

In USA, in addition to strip clubs, we still have American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Masonic Lodges, Knights of Columbus, Odd Fellows, Elks, Moose, etc. to serve this purpose, more or less. The money hurdle is lower, OTOH one might have to fight in a war or go to church.

I suppose there might be some similar organizations in UK too?

David H.

Judy G. Russell
April 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I think you're being warned that I (as a lawyer) might object to the piece.

I don't.

PeteHall
April 28th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I think you're being warned that I (as a lawyer) might object to the piece.
Well a real lawyer would be heading for the Garrick Club (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrick_Club)

Judy G. Russell
April 28th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Well a real lawyer would be heading for the Garrick Club (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrick_Club)But... but... but I'm a real lawyer. And I suspect I'd be blackballed!

PeteHall
April 29th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Just thought of the classic example of a gentleman and his club... Phileas Fogg in 'Around The World In 80 Days' (the David Niven version, not the Michael Palin one)

we still have American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Masonic Lodges, Knights of Columbus, Odd Fellows, Elks, Moose, etc. to serve this purpose, more or less ... I suppose there might be some similar organizations in UK too?
We have Oddfellows, Rotarians and the like, but they seem to be mainly charitable, as are the Livery Companies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livery_Companies) (who were originally trade associations). We also have Masons, but because of the nature of the 'brotherhood' you now need to declare your membership if you hold many public offices, just in case you get accused of being unduely influenced by a fellow mason in making a favourable decision