PDA

View Full Version : Missing the Reply button?

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Look up at the top right corner of the message you're reading. There's an option for DISPLAY MODES. Choose hybrid (to see a thread tree and the messages) or threaded (to see a thread tree and ONLY the message you choose to read).

Bill Hirst
May 25th, 2005, 01:24 PM
So _that's_ how to get the reply button.

-Bill

Silvia Carry
May 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks Judy. Got it!

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Yes, and you can change your preferences in the User CP (upper left under the forum logo).

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Glad to help.

Dan in Saint Louis
May 25th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Choose hybrid (to see a thread tree and the messages) or threaded (to see a thread tree and ONLY the message you choose to read).

....the Reply button doesn't appear in "Threaded". In "Hybrid", how can you tell which message you are replying TO?

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2005, 02:24 PM
In hybrid, whatever message is highlighted (slightly darker background) in the thread tree is the one that the reply goes to.

I'll have to look to see if there is / should be a reply (without forcing a quote) in threaded view.

Dan in Saint Louis
May 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM
In hybrid, whatever message is highlighted (slightly darker background) in the thread tree is the one that the reply goes to.

Hmm, they all look the same to me (Firefox, WinXP)

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Click on any message and see if you can't see that that message and the ones lower in the thread change the background color.

ndebord
May 25th, 2005, 04:05 PM

I'll have to look to see if there is / should be a reply (without forcing a quote) in threaded view.

Judy,

Don't much care for having to use the quote button to reply, unless you are suggesting there is another way to go? (I like to use my own archaic method of inserting quotes into a message!)

<g>

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I am suggesting there's another way to go. Use the hybrid mode (there's a drop down list of the view modes at the top right of the messages -- Display Mode). That will give you a thread view at the top and as to the highlighted message in thread view (or the first if more than one is highlighted), you just click the Post Reply button at the top or bottom.

Dan in Saint Louis
May 25th, 2005, 05:41 PM
and the ones lower in the thread change the background color.

Aha! I must have clicked the top message, thus they were all the same.

Mark Hamilton
May 25th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Judy,

Click on any message and see if you can't see that that message and the ones lower in the thread change the background color.
'Fraid not: well not here with Firefox 1.0.4 at any rate. But that's OK, I moderate on another set of Forums using very similar software to this and with a similar effect.

Incidentally, NetCom (a UK-based security and monitoring company) has released its anti-phishing toolbar (free) for both IE and Firefox. I highly recommend it and it does give some remarkable information about the various sites (and their hosts). Go Daddy Software, huh?!:cool:

Mark

Dan in Saint Louis
May 25th, 2005, 09:22 PM
'Fraid not: well not here with Firefox 1.0.4 at any rate.

Mark, I see what Judy means now. I also use Firefox 1.0.4 and the message you choose to view (and those below it IN THE SAME SUBTHREAD, but not other branches) adopt a darker background.

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Yes, that'd make them all the same color.

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2005, 09:46 PM
See the attached, Mark. This was screen-captured in Firefox 1.0.4. It's subtle but it's there.

Marilyn Ratcheson
May 25th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hmm. I'm using Firefox 1.0.4, and I'm not seeing a reply button at all, only the quote button. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm in Hybrid or Thread mode...

And I'm not exactly sure where in the thread this message will land. I *think it's a reply to Judy..(Hi Judy!!)

Sorry for being such a dunce...

-Marilyn

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Hi, Marilyn! Long time no see!

Up in the top right of any thread there's an option box for Display Mode. Change it to hybrid and you'll get a thread tree at the top and messages at the bottom. You choose the message you want to reply to in the thread tree (if you don't happen to be reading it) and there will be a Post Reply button at the top and bottom.

Alternately, go ahead and hit quote, highlight everything in the box and start typing...

Marilyn Ratcheson
May 25th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Ah, got it, thank you, Judy!

-Marilyn

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Glad to help!

jackofshadows
May 26th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Well, it's weird Judy, but I suppose I'll get used to it. At least the pages here load fairly quickly unlike a certain other place, even on a lowly 28.8 Kbps dial-up.

- Bri

Bill Hirst
May 26th, 2005, 08:17 AM
I can see the highlighted message in IE now that I've clicked on it in the tree display. However, I can't see the picture "active.png" attached to your message. I get the following screen after clicking on the attachment:

>Bill Hirst, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due >to one of several reasons:
>
> 1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this
> page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative >features or some other privileged system?
> 2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your >account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Did I do something wrong?

-Bill (Still in the learning curve for the new software.)

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Can you see the image attached to this one, Bill? (If so, it's a matter of your not being able to see PNG files, which is a function of IE.)

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:50 AM
At least the pages here load fairly quickly unlike a certain other place, even on a lowly 28.8 Kbps dial-up.
Ah, that's good to know! Thanks, Bri (and good to see you!)

Marilyn Ratcheson
May 26th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I'm seeing what Bill sees, with both the .jpg and the .png file. (Well, not exactly what he sees, since it calls me Marilyn Ratcheson rather than Bill Hirst).

-Marilyn

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 09:31 AM
May I ask what browser you're using? (And suggest Firefox 1.0.4 if you're not using that?)

Mark Hamilton
May 26th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Judy,

Thanks for posting the capture and I now see what you mean! Well, I did see what you mean the first time I read the message, now all I see is a place-holder where the graphic should be (I do have "Load images" in Firefox enabled).

Mark

Bill Hirst
May 26th, 2005, 04:35 PM
That's interesting. I can see both images in Firefox when I'm not logged in. If I log on, I only see the placeholders. :confused:

(Just so I can keep track of what I'm doing, this message is via Firefox.)

annc
May 26th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Can you see the image attached to this one, Bill? (If so, it's a matter of your not being able to see PNG files, which is a function of IE.)I'm having the same problem as Bill and I know that my version of Firefox Mac works with this software.

Bill Hirst
May 26th, 2005, 04:49 PM
And the same behavior with Internet Explorer, although I had trouble logging off. (I had previously told IE to remember my password, and I had to go to the control panel and change my Tapcis password, then close the browser and re-logon. That forced me into a logged-off state.)

Therefore, it might have something to do with my account.

(Should I go to your room for more training?) {Ack. I meant Judy's room, not mine. It's much more fun being trained that way.}

BettyB
May 26th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Judy,

Oh, so in order to reply to a message it must be highlighted in the tree?

If I've understood it correctly this should appear as a reply to your message.

Ummm, I've printed out the FAQ pages and will have to study this a bit.

Has anyone else noted that the older one gets the more complex learning things becomes?

BB

Andrew B.
May 26th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Hi Judy. Not to complicate things too much, because I know people have different preferences. But there is another way to reply. You can turn on the Quick Reply feature via the admin control panel, and at the same time make sure to turn on "Require Click for Quick Reply," which is right below it. This gives a surefire way of responding to the exact message, no matter what mode is selected, and without using the quote button. Problem is, it has its quirks too, which you will see if you try it. And I'm still not completely thrilled with it, even though it is the method I use most in vBulletin.

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I now see what you mean! Well, I did see what you mean the first time I read the message, now all I see is a place-holder where the graphic should be (I do have "Load images" in Firefox enabled).
Hmmm... this has to be a setting somewhere in the administrative stuff -- too many people seeing the same issue in too many browsers.

Something else for my "what I'm doing with my long Memorial Day weekend" list...

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I suspect this is more something in the settings for the software -- I'll work on it this weekend.

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I may have to borrow the expertise of the DTP forum-master, Ann. This is sounding more and more like one of the 8,462 settings in this software...

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Looks like you got it perfectly. And yes, I know only too well... it seems like everything is more and more complicated every day!

annc
May 27th, 2005, 12:53 AM
I may have to borrow the expertise of the DTP forum-master, Ann. This is sounding more and more like one of the 8,462 settings in this software...Andrew's da man, Judy, and I see he's joined up here.

Mike
May 27th, 2005, 02:52 AM
In the User Control Panel (User CP link), under Edit Options, one can choose whether to see images.

Those who can't click the attachment to view it, try right-clicking and choosing Save Link As... or your browser equivalent.

Franca
May 27th, 2005, 03:56 AM
I second Andrew's suggestion of turning on Quick Reply. It is my preferred place to start my replies most of the time. As Andrew said, it does have its little quirks, but not usually anything that can't be fixed by refreshing the window, and it will give folks the option to reply without quoting entire messages by default. Thanks so much for setting this place up!

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Andrew, your technical skill with this software is NEVER a complication. I knew there was a quick reply but hadn't found it yet; it was on my list of things to do this weekend! I found it this morning and it's now on. THANK YOU. Please keep suggesting things!

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Done! (Andrew's technical skill with this software is very helpful!)

Andrew B.
May 27th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I knew there was a quick reply but hadn't found it yetThat control panel has so many features I've found things and then lost them again.

Please keep suggesting things!I'll help in any way I can, and I'm sure the other DTP folks will too. But I might miss a message here or there. So feel free to send me a private message here if you need to get my attention. I have it set to notify me.

Anyway, here are a couple things that come to mind.

In that thread window, after a thread gets a few messages deep it says "More replies below current depth..." This drove me nuts because it was happening too much. And when I clicked to expand, it would rewrite the window contents and I'd lose my place. So in the control panel where it says "Threaded Mode: Posts Depth," I upped it to 20. Then waited to see if I needed to up it more. So far, so good.

And on the topic of threading, we removed the big button that says "Post Reply" and appears top and bottom left in linear and hybrid. The button makes it too easy for people to reply to the wrong message, which ruins threading. So we removed it from the template. I can look at how we did this, if you ever want to try it.

Marilyn Ratcheson
May 27th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I'm using Firefox 1.0.4. As it seems many people are, in this subgroup of Internet users. More than I'd expect given it's something like 10% market share. Interesting.

-Marilyn

Marilyn Ratcheson
May 27th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Judy,

Thanks for posting the capture and I now see what you mean! Well, I did see what you mean the first time I read the message, now all I see is a place-holder where the graphic should be (I do have "Load images" in Firefox enabled).

Mark

Yes, now that you mention it, I did see the image the first time I saw Judy's message, and it might have been before I logged in as a registered user.

-Marilyn

Marilyn Ratcheson
May 27th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Ok, Marilyn, had you been using tap, you probably would have figured out that everyone else had figured this out yesterday. Sorry, guys.

-Marilyn

Daniel Widdis
May 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM
More than I'd expect given it's something like 10% market share. Interesting.
We're all smarter than the average user. :)

Marilyn Ratcheson
May 27th, 2005, 11:12 PM
We're all smarter than the average user. :)

Yeah, appears so.

-Marilyn

jackofshadows
May 29th, 2005, 01:49 AM
And now that I've wandered over to the user control panel and changed a few more thangs in there, I can honestly say that I rather like vBulletin, or as much as I l can like a web-based forum. This will do.

jackofshadows
May 29th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Betty, best discussed in another section but don't worry, it isn't you or the fact that you are older :). It's the nature of things we are dealing with and idiot engineers who design them. I'll leave it at that.

Judy G. Russell
May 29th, 2005, 09:35 AM
It really is remarkably customizable, both as a board and on a user-by-user basis. So far, we're very pleased.