PDA

View Full Version : Braggin' rights!

Judy G. Russell
April 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Okay... so only a total novice gardener would get this excited... but DARN these things are GORGEOUS!!

http://www.pbase.com/jgr/image/58398857/medium.jpg

(more here (http://www.pbase.com/jgr/garden&page=2))

lensue
April 10th, 2006, 07:36 AM
>so only a total novice gardener would get this excited<

Judy, not so--all gardeners get excited--great shot! Did you ever go to the famous landscaped bulb gardens in the Netherlands--Keukenhof Gardens--Sue and I caught it just rioght one spring--spectacular!!!

"Keukenhof is the world's largest flower garden, spread over 32-hectares and attracting over 800,000 visitors each year. This number is very impressive since the gardens are only open for a few weeks each year."

see photos at http://cruises.about.com/cs/europe/a/keukenhof_pics.htm Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
April 10th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Did you ever go to the famous landscaped bulb gardens in the Netherlands--Keukenhof Gardens--Sue and I caught it just rioght one spring--spectacular!!!I did go once, but don't remember it at all. But before you condemn me as a total philistine, consider also the fact that I was three years old at the time!

lensue
April 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM
>consider also the fact that I was three years old at the time!<

Judy, okay, you're excused! [g] But you simply must go again sometime--getting the timing right may be a problem but if you catch it right when alot is in bloom and you have a nice weather day you will be dazzled! Regards, Len

Mike Landi
April 10th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Okay... so only a total novice gardener would get this excited... but DARN these things are GORGEOUS!!

Beautiful! Great color!

See....you had nothing to worry about. <gd&r>

Judy G. Russell
April 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
if you catch it right when alot is in bloom and you have a nice weather day you will be dazzled!I'm sure. I've seen the pictures my parents took -- even in B&W it's amazing.

Judy G. Russell
April 10th, 2006, 10:42 AM
See....you had nothing to worry about. <gd&r>What, you mean I was supposed to have believed you guys???

Jeff
April 10th, 2006, 01:46 PM
But you simply must go again sometime--getting the timing right may be a problem but if you catch it right when alot is in bloom and you have a nice weather day you will be dazzled! Regards, Len

Lived in Den Haag, did it several times. But there's nothing quite like driving through the bulb *fields* and seeing the piles, three and four feet high, of tulip flowers after they mow the field.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
April 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
there's nothing quite like driving through the bulb *fields* and seeing the piles, three and four feet high, of tulip flowers after they mow the field.I think that'd make me cry. I know that getting the bulbs to market is their business... but oh... all those flowers...

lensue
April 11th, 2006, 08:10 AM
>I'm sure.<

Judy, we won't get a chance to go this year because we leave for Atlanta this week end but have you ever seen the dazzling cherry tree display at Newark's Branch Brook Park--they have more trees there than at the famous Washington DC festival. One year Sue and I caught it just right--beautiful! I think they say from next Sunday on it should be at its peak. Regards, Len

lensue
April 11th, 2006, 08:12 AM
>Lived in Den Haag, did it several times. But there's nothing quite like driving through the bulb *fields* and seeing the piles, three and four feet high, of tulip flowers after they mow the field.<

Jeff, we liked that town alot. We went through the tulip fields but not when they had been cut down--we saw them at their most spectacular--what colors--row after row after row! Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I have seen them and hope to see them again this year, camera in hand!

Mike Landi
April 11th, 2006, 10:25 AM

Not as pretty as your tulips, but I've got a bunch of these.

http://www.pbase.com/landi/image/58509911.jpg

I have zero luck w/tulips. The rabbits eat them to the ground.

ndebord
April 11th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I did go once, but don't remember it at all. But before you condemn me as a total philistine, consider also the fact that I was three years old at the time!

Judy,

Good for you! Around about the same age and for a few years, I would frolick with a young cousin in the tulip fields of Holland (Michigan...not quite the same thing, but at that age who knew?)

<g>

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Woohooo! Spring comes to upstate NY even! Ain't daffodils nice? They always make me smile.

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I knew a little bit at age three. I always complained when my mother would do that thing mothers do pushing your cheeks together and making your lips poke out: "Don't do that! Maybe I talk Dutch!"

Mike Landi
April 11th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Woohooo! Spring comes to upstate NY even! Ain't daffodils nice? They always make me smile.

Wait 'till the Star Gazers bloom!

Jeff
April 11th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I think that'd make me cry. I know that getting the bulbs to market is their business... but oh... all those flowers...

Oh yeah, the piles of petals are quite large and kaleidoscopic. The flowers are cut shortly after blooming to strengthen the bulbs, but the petals are not wasted. They go to make perfumes, and other such necessities that the distaff half seems to require, so now we know the real reason for the mowing...<g>

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM
As long as they make some use of the petals, I suppose it's okay...

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Wait 'till the Star Gazers bloom!Wooooo... those (http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=460) do look nice.

ndebord
April 11th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I knew a little bit at age three. I always complained when my mother would do that thing mothers do pushing your cheeks together and making your lips poke out: "Don't do that! Maybe I talk Dutch!"

Judy,

I remember a lot of stuff from age 3. I remember I liked my cousin a lot (liked her even more when she showed up at age 14 for a visit)!

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I can't say I remember all that much at age 3. My first real complete memory comes from just before my 4th birthday. The date (to be precise) was February 28, 1955. I was awakened very early by my father who got my sister and I dressed up in dresses and sweaters and took us next door to stay with our neighbors. The day was unusually warm for February and we were playing in the backyard when the woman of the house came out and said, in these exact words, if memory serves me: "Girls! Girls! You have a baby brother!" The first of many...

Mike Landi
April 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Wooooo... those (http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=460) do look nice.

Yep. We have a ton of those every summer in our front flower bed. I'll post pictures!

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I'll post pictures!Looking forward to it!

Lindsey
April 11th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I have zero luck w/tulips. The rabbits eat them to the ground.
Handsome daffodils! Are those King Alfreds, by any chance?

As for tulips: I guess they must have been made for rodents. The rabbits only get to them if the squirrels haven't dug up and eaten the bulbs first!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2006, 11:36 PM
As for tulips: I guess they must have been made for rodents. The rabbits only get to them if the squirrels haven't dug up and eaten the bulbs first!It's really amazing with the squirrels I have here... but the squirrels really only hang out in the backyard... and my tulips are in the front yard.

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Got a new kind that just seemed to pop up overnight:

http://www.pbase.com/jgr/image/58541690/medium.jpg

lensue
April 12th, 2006, 05:42 AM
>camera in hand<

Judy, since we'll have to miss the display I am definitely looking forward to seeing some of your photos. Today we'll be hitting the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. Regards, Len.

Mike Landi
April 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Handsome daffodils! Are those King Alfreds, by any chance?

As for tulips: I guess they must have been made for rodents. The rabbits only get to them if the squirrels haven't dug up and eaten the bulbs first!

--Lindsey

I think that's what they are. We planted a bunch of different ones, and then have separated and moved them a few times. We have others that are yellow in the center and white around the outside, but they are not as bright at the ones I posted.

Mike Landi
April 12th, 2006, 08:51 AM
It's really amazing with the squirrels I have here... but the squirrels really only hang out in the backyard... and my tulips are in the front yard.

I tried for years to get tulips to grow. The rabbits eat the greens. When I built a cage to protect the greens, the deer came and ate the flower pods!

I'll stick with roses and star gazers.

Mike Landi
April 12th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Got a new kind that just seemed to pop up overnight:

http://www.pbase.com/jgr/image/58541690/medium.jpg

Now that's a beauty! I have some that are orange in the center with white petals, but now yellow ones.

Judy G. Russell
April 12th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Today we'll be hitting the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens.BOY do you have a good day for it!!! It is GORGEOUS out there!

Judy G. Russell
April 12th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I tried for years to get tulips to grow. The rabbits eat the greens. When I built a cage to protect the greens, the deer came and ate the flower pods!ROFL!!! Yeah, that would be downright annoying, wouldn't it?

Judy G. Russell
April 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Here (http://www.theplantexpert.com/springbulbs/DaffodilIntro.html) is a good site to help identify our daffodils. It's got nice pictures. I never knew there were soooo many types!

Lindsey
April 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
It's really amazing with the squirrels I have here... but the squirrels really only hang out in the backyard... and my tulips are in the front yard.
Ooooh, that's good! I wouldn't want you to think you had worked so hard just to plant squirrel food...

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 12th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I think that's what they are.
"King Alfred" is the classic large yellow daffodil, and those certainly looked the part!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Now that's a beauty! I have some that are orange in the center with white petals, but now yellow ones.
There's one I've seen in the catalogs that has pale pink petals and a darker pink trumpet that I think is really nifty.

There's something about the yellow, though, that is just so cheerful in early spring, and classic yellow is hard to beat.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 12th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Here (http://www.theplantexpert.com/springbulbs/DaffodilIntro.html) is a good site to help identify our daffodils. It's got nice pictures. I never knew there were soooo many types!
Oh, that's a nice site! The "trumpet daffodils" section has a picture of "Mount Hood," a lovely all-white daffodil. I had forgotten about that one -- I used to have some, or something very like them, and they disappeared. Rabbits probably ate them. :( I'll have to think about getting some more.

By the way, there is a place in Gloucester called the Daffodil Mart that might be a good place to check out. Their catalog doesn't have photos, but if you know the variety you want, that wouldn't matter. I think they grow everything they sell.

Oooops, update: I just looked on the web, and saw a notice that the Daffodil Mart had been bought out by White Flower Farm and subsequently dissolved. :mad: HOWEVER, the people who ran the Daffodil Mart (Brent and Becky Heath) have a smaller business now called Brent & Becky's Bulbs. Web page here (http://brentandbeckysbulbs.com/). (And it looks as if their catalogs now have pictures!)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Rabbits probably ate them.
It amazes me that rabbits do as well as they do in suburban neighborhoods like yours and mine. I do have rabbits, see them all the time, even ones large enough to trigger the motion sensor lights in the back every so often!

Lindsey
April 12th, 2006, 05:15 PM
It amazes me that rabbits do as well as they do in suburban neighborhoods like yours and mine. I do have rabbits, see them all the time, even ones large enough to trigger the motion sensor lights in the back every so often!
Oh heavens, yes -- my neighborhood is rife with rabbits.

What always astonishes me is that a friend of mine who lives in an urban-suburban neighborhood has a real problem with opossums! I just don't expect to find opossums within the city limits...

--Lindsey

ndebord
April 12th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Oh heavens, yes -- my neighborhood is rife with rabbits.

What always astonishes me is that a friend of mine who lives in an urban-suburban neighborhood has a real problem with opossums! I just don't expect to find opossums within the city limits...

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

Alll kind of possums in my backyard. A friend in a town not all that far away has moles. We like to think we're removed a step or two from nature and then we see stories like a coyote running around in the Big Apple and get a slap in the face.

Judy G. Russell
April 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Opossums are sooooooo ugly. I'm sorry. I can have sympathy for the raccoons (even the ones who invade my house), the rabbits and even (on very very rare occasions) those tailed treerats other people call squirrels. But a 'possum? No.

Lindsey
April 12th, 2006, 10:12 PM
We like to think we're removed a step or two from nature and then we see stories like a coyote running around in the Big Apple and get a slap in the face.
Hah! Yeah, there is that...

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 12th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Opossums are sooooooo ugly.
Aren't they? Those beady little eyes; they look positively evil. And that waddly gait; ugh, they give me the creeps.

--Lindsey

ndebord
April 12th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Opossums are sooooooo ugly. I'm sorry. I can have sympathy for the raccoons (even the ones who invade my house), the rabbits and even (on very very rare occasions) those tailed treerats other people call squirrels. But a 'possum? No.

Judy,

You've heard of cow pies? Well think Possums on the back deck. (Being close to NY Harbor has its disadvantages.)

And it's illegal to shoot the buggers.

<sigh>

Dan in Saint Louis
April 13th, 2006, 08:57 AM
think Possums on the back deck

We live inside the city limits of Saint Louis, a half block from a major N-S route that feeds three Interstates. We have possums in the back yard, I have watched a black-shouldered hawk breakfast on dove in the back yard, and there has been a wild turkey in our driveway and a barred owl in the tree.

Over our garage are some former servant's quarters that are now occupied by starving college students, and one reported that a possum came up the steps and was grazing in his dog's food bowl.

Ain't wildlife wonderfully adaptable?

lensue
April 13th, 2006, 09:12 AM
>BOY do you have a good day for it!!! It is GORGEOUS out there!<

Judy, yes and we tried to make the most of it--going in to the city we stopped first at the already mentioned Branchbrook Park and while most of the cherry blossoms aren't out yet we did find a beautiful stretch of them near the Cathedral.

Then we went to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens where the was perfection in the famous Japanese Garden--the magnolias and bulbs were doing great too! Regards, Len

lensue
April 13th, 2006, 09:19 AM
>It amazes me that rabbits do as well as they do in suburban neighborhoods like yours and mine<

Judy, well out here in Warren County the rabits and woodchucks are thriving at my gardens expense! Our daffodils are coming into their own and the first two of our flowering weeping cherries are blooming. Regards, Len

lensue
April 13th, 2006, 09:23 AM
>Opossums are sooooooo ugly. I'm sorry. I can have sympathy for the raccoons <

Judy, true about the opossums but the racoons are so much more dangerous--they can be vicious! We saw an aggressive racoon in Costa Rica last month by a beautiful beach area--in costa Rica they are relatively rare. Regards, Len

lensue
April 13th, 2006, 09:28 AM
>the deer came and ate the flower pods!<

Mike, we learned years ago we would need a fence around our entire property to keep them out--it works thank goodness! Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Gorgeous... nice photos!

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't want you to think you had worked so hard just to plant squirrel food...The squirrels would end up as food.

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Those beady little eyes; they look positively evil. And that waddly gait; ugh, they give me the creeps.I have a friend who actually feeds the ugly critters in her yard. Ewwwww...

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2006, 01:53 PM
And it's illegal to shoot the buggers.Well, how 'bout electrocution?

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Yoy may not have been around when I had my close encounter with a raccoon (http://www.jgrussell.com/views/view-tb.htm).

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Our daffodils are coming into their own and the first two of our flowering weeping cherries are blooming.Finally! And with the temps today I think we can start thinking about air conditioners!

lensue
April 13th, 2006, 05:38 PM
>I think we can start thinking about air conditioners!<

Judy, definitely for Sue and myself--we'll be in Atlanta for a week starting Sat--temperatures may be in the 80's on some days! Regards, Len

lensue
April 13th, 2006, 05:43 PM
>Yoy may not have been around when I had my close encounter with a raccoon.<

Judy, first time I'm hearing this story--incredible. Your narrative is wonderfully written--I think I'll have nightmares tonight! Regards, Len

ndebord
April 13th, 2006, 08:13 PM
We live inside the city limits of Saint Louis, a half block from a major N-S route that feeds three Interstates. We have possums in the back yard, I have watched a black-shouldered hawk breakfast on dove in the back yard, and there has been a wild turkey in our driveway and a barred owl in the tree.

Over our garage are some former servant's quarters that are now occupied by starving college students, and one reported that a possum came up the steps and was grazing in his dog's food bowl.

Ain't wildlife wonderfully adaptable?

Dan,

I'd like to adapt them to my .22!

;-)

ndebord
April 13th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Well, how 'bout electrocution?

Judy,

You can "rent" a legal trap from City Hall, but don't trap them on a Friday, 'cause you gotta return the trap and hopefully the bugger on Monday so they can release the sucker somewhere unspecified!

<sigh>

(We have a lot of wetlands here...O.K., most of it probably still contaminated by Standard Oil, but still wetlands.

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2006, 08:52 PM
so they can release the sucker somewhere unspecified!Probably back in your yard...

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I have watched a black-shouldered hawk breakfast on dove in the back yard, and there has been a wild turkey in our driveway and a barred owl in the tree.I haven't had much of a chance to see predator birds ... I'd like to, though. Particularly if they were clutching a tree rat in their claws...

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Your narrative is wonderfully written--I think I'll have nightmares tonight! I actually slept quite well that night... after I got the raccoon out of the house, that is.

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Geez... do you guys ever stay at home? And no, do NOT tell me again that this is what it's like to be retired or I may cry.

Lindsey
April 13th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Judy, true about the opossums but the racoons are so much more dangerous--they can be vicious!
You think 'possums aren't? I've known them to kill cats.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 13th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I have a friend who actually feeds the ugly critters in her yard. Ewwwww...
Ugh!! She must have them confused with hedgehogs and Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle.

I'll bet she's popular with the neighbors...

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 13th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Judy, definitely for Sue and myself--we'll be in Atlanta for a week starting Sat--temperatures may be in the 80's on some days! Regards, Len
I got news for you, my friend: temperatures in the 80s in Atlanta constitutes a cool day for those guys!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 13th, 2006, 10:42 PM
(We have a lot of wetlands here...O.K., most of it probably still contaminated by Standard Oil, but still wetlands.
Wetlands wetlands, or wetlands as defined by the Bush Administration (http://forests.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=54677)?

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 13th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I haven't had much of a chance to see predator birds ... I'd like to, though. Particularly if they were clutching a tree rat in their claws...
I often spot hawks in the trees along I-295. And if you look very carefully along the Amtrak route between Richmond and Washington, you can see eagles' nests in the high-voltage power lines near the tracks.

I've never actually seen any of those birds up close, though.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Ugh!! She must have them confused with hedgehogs and Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle.ROFL! Yeah, or the critters out of the "Redwall" series!

lensue
April 14th, 2006, 08:50 AM
>I actually slept quite well that night... after I got the raccoon out of the house, that is.<

Judy, I think I would have had trouble--my adrenalin level would have been so high! BTW on the news this week there was a story about pet pythons down in Florida who were released in the Evergaldes--there may be over 100 of them--some are gigantic and are becoming a problem as they eat birds and even try for alligators! See this incredible web page: http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/snakegator.asp Regards, Len

lensue
April 14th, 2006, 08:55 AM
>You think 'possums aren't? I've known them to kill cats.<

Lindsey, I wasn't aware of that--we have them on our property but they leave our garden alone except to ocassionally steal a peach or something--the wood chucks otoh are a main enemy of mine--funny how they like the cone flowers--echinacea--they must be health conscious! As we eat dinner many nights looking out our large windows with the lights on we sometimes see skunks walking around in the garden--occassionally they come up really close--to me they're beautiful but scary! Regards, Len

lensue
April 14th, 2006, 08:59 AM
>I've never actually seen any of those birds up close, though.<

Lindsey, the April we visited you in Richmond we went on to the wonderful Norfolk Botanical Gardens--they had roped off an area of the garden to us flower lovers because a bald eagle had decided to nest in a large tree within the garden. We got a good luck at the bald eagle as he stood there on a large brach outside his nest especially when a generous birdwatcher with a telescope let us take a look. Regards, Len

lensue
April 14th, 2006, 09:03 AM
>I haven't had much of a chance to see predator birds <

Judy, we see plenty of them flying over our garden and sometimes we get a good close look at some of the hawks--so exciting when they fly! There isn't a single time we have come in on rte 80 toward NYC where we haven't spotted hawks--sometimes on trees very close to the road--sometimes on the poles and signs just off I80. One time we were in the city early before an opera and had a chance to walk in Central Park--we had parked our car on the street and had our opera glasses with us--a hawk flew into a tree and it was the closest we had ever been to a red tailed hawk--how convenient that we had those opera glasses with us! Regards, Len [g]

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2006, 09:10 AM
One time we were in the city early before an opera and had a chance to walk in Central Park--we had parked our car on the street and had our opera glasses with us--a hawk flew into a tree and it was the closest we had ever been to a red tailed hawkIf you're not familiar with the story of Pale Male and the red-tailed hawks on Fifth Avenue, check out this site (http://www.palemale.com/).

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I read about that snake - gator encounter. Scary. VERY scary.

ndebord
April 14th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Wetlands wetlands, or wetlands as defined by the Bush Administration (http://forests.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=54677)?

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

Wetlands as defined by John D. Rockefeller. (Oil Sludge that permeates boggy areas and often replaces the groundwater too.) Some would say that the entire town of Bayonne is perched precariously on this stuff.

lensue
April 14th, 2006, 12:44 PM
>If you're not familiar with the story of Pale Male and the red-tailed hawks on Fifth Avenue, check out this site.<

Judy, yes, I'm familiar with Pale Male--there was a nice PBS documentary on the hawk a while back. BTW that website is awesome-thanks! Regards, Len

ndebord
April 14th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Probably back in your yard...

Judy,

Bite your tongue, goil! I mean, when I clean up these critters' large piles of dung, I am traumatized by visions of Jurrasic Park dinosaur pies.

<sigh>

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I'm familiar with Pale Male--there was a nice PBS documentary on the hawk a while backI saw that documentary just before the idiots in the building where the hawks were nesting decided to try to evict them....

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I am traumatized by visions of Jurrasic Park dinosaur pies.Can you imagine someone trying to recreate 'possums thousands of years from now!!!???

Dan in Saint Louis
April 14th, 2006, 02:24 PM
a hawk flew into a tree and it was the closest we had ever been to a red tailed hawk

Campus of Saint Louis Community College (my employer):

http://landiss.info/graphics/P9160014c.JPG

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Oooooooh... great shot...

lensue
April 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM
>Campus of Saint Louis Community College (my employer):<

Dan, that's extraordinary! Regards, Len

Lindsey
April 14th, 2006, 10:05 PM
ROFL! Yeah, or the critters out of the "Redwall" series!
I'd never heard of the "Redwall" series until now, but I can see that I will have to check it out -- for myself, I mean! And maybe if my brother's kids are very, very good, I'll let them have them when they're older. :p

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 14th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Lindsey, I wasn't aware of that--we have them on our property but they leave our garden alone except to ocassionally steal a peach or something
Maybe it's just the city 'possums that are mean and tough...

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Lindsey, the April we visited you in Richmond we went on to the wonderful Norfolk Botanical Gardens--they had roped off an area of the garden to us flower lovers because a bald eagle had decided to nest in a large tree within the garden.
This is apparently a good area for eagles. There was a story (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/06/AR2006040601959.html) in the Washington Post recently about a pair of bald eagles named George and Martha nesting near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge that spans the Potomac River at the southernmost tip of DC, near Alexandria. (George and Martha live on the Maryland side of the bridge, I believe.)

Unfortunately, Martha was recently a victim of eagle-on-eagle crime, and George is having to cope with the difficulties of single parenthood while Martha is recuperating in the bird hospital.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 14th, 2006, 10:19 PM
(Oil Sludge that permeates boggy areas and often replaces the groundwater too.)
Sounds like the sort of wetlands only a true Bushie could love. :(

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 14th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Wow! Great picture, impressive bird!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I absolutely LOVE the Redwall series. I haven't quite gone so far as to buy the new books in hardback (there's one out now that's still in hardback, darn it!), but I grab 'em the minute they're in paperback. And no, Dennis and Duncan can't have mine. I'll buy 'em their own set, but they're not getting mine!

WARNING: DO NOT READ A REDWALL BOOK WHILE HUNGRY. You'll understand why when you read the first one... and the "problem" persists throughout the series.

Lindsey
April 15th, 2006, 12:13 AM
WARNING: DO NOT READ A REDWALL BOOK WHILE HUNGRY. You'll understand why when you read the first one... and the "problem" persists throughout the series.
Because you will lose your appetite, you mean? I saw in a review on Amazon that they tended to be rather gory. (But you know -- losing my appetite might not be such a bad thing...)

--Lindsey

lensue
April 15th, 2006, 08:56 AM
>There was a story in the Washington Post <

Lindsey, thanks, I enjoyed that story alot. Last summer we were down along the Chesapeake--Annapolis--we love that area. Well now it's off to Atlanta. Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
April 15th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Nope, nope, nope. The opposite. Wait 'til you first read about a Redwall feast. Make sure you've had a good meal beforehand... and that there are no high-calorie snacks within easy reaching distance.

chm
April 15th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Oh, wow! I love this thread. Thanks for showing all the pretty flower photos you guys. : )

Carolyn

ndebord
April 15th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Can you imagine someone trying to recreate 'possums thousands of years from now!!!???

Judy,

And to them I would proffer the same remedy that you would offer if they tried to recreate squirrels: an open-ended contract with whichever "family" is still in business in 'dem far off time!

Judy G. Russell
April 15th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I swear it still boggles my mind that anything I planted actually went ahead and bloomed. I still go out several times a day just to look at 'em!

Judy G. Russell
April 15th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I'd like to offer that contract to squirrel-hunters TODAY.

ndebord
April 15th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I'd like to offer that contract to squirrel-hunters TODAY.

Judy,

I figure if I cozy up to the Bayonne Sicilian Club, I could shoot all those suckers with impunity!

;-)

Lindsey
April 16th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Nope, nope, nope. The opposite.
Oh, good! I checked Border's today, but even though the computer had some of the books marked as "In store," I couldn't find any. I'll check B&N as soon as I have the chance.

--Lindsey

ndebord
April 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Sounds like the sort of wetlands only a true Bushie could love. :(

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

Or a Rockefeller!

ndebord
April 16th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Nope, nope, nope. The opposite. Wait 'til you first read about a Redwall feast. Make sure you've had a good meal beforehand... and that there are no high-calorie snacks within easy reaching distance.

Judy,

So eat the Sushi before viewing?

;-)

Judy G. Russell
April 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Make sure you ask. Some stores put them in odd places. They can be in children's books, science fiction & fantasy, fiction, young adult... almost anywhere.

Judy G. Russell
April 16th, 2006, 10:48 AM
So eat the Sushi before viewing?Reading, not viewing. And you may need more that sushi -- you should be FULL before reading about one of those feasts!

Lindsey
April 17th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Make sure you ask. Some stores put them in odd places. They can be in children's books, science fiction & fantasy, fiction, young adult... almost anywhere.
The in-store computer said they were in "Picture books | Children's picture books." But there's no "Picture books" section anywhere in the store. I looked everywhere I thought might be likely, and didn't see them. But that's OK; I stopped at B&N early this afternoon, and found a bunch of them in the Juvenile Fiction section. So I picked up the first book in the series, and we'll see how it goes from there. :)

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 17th, 2006, 12:56 AM
So eat the Sushi before viewing?
Speaking of sushi:

Sushi and Rev. Moon
How Americans’ growing appetite for sushi is helping to support his controversial church

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/chi-0604sushi-1-story,0,3736876.story

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Speaking of sushi: "Americans’ growing appetite for sushi is helping to support [Rev Moon's] controversial church"I am soooooo glad I don't like fish.

Judy G. Russell
April 17th, 2006, 10:13 AM
The in-store computer said they were in "Picture books | Children's picture books."ROFL!! Yeah, there are one or two little kids' picture books that Jacques did, but GEEZ!!! The series itself isn't picture books at all!

fhaber
April 17th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I am soooooo glad I don't like fish.

That's OK. The Rev. Moon also has the wholesale concession for liver.

Judy G. Russell
April 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM
That's OK. The Rev. Moon also has the wholesale concession for liver.Yeeehaaaah! Safe on all counts!

ndebord
April 17th, 2006, 10:57 PM

Judy,

You would've fit right in on the Lewis and Clark Expedition!

Lindsey
April 17th, 2006, 11:11 PM
It hasn't been so many years ago that I finally had the nerve to even try sushi (or rather sashimi), and I found out that I really liked it. And now... :(

--Lindsey

Lindsey
April 17th, 2006, 11:15 PM
You would've fit right in on the Lewis and Clark Expedition!
Oh, yeah -- hardtack is soooo much more appetizing than fish. Right up there with shoe leather, by all accounts...

--Lindsey

ndebord
April 18th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Oh, yeah -- hardtack is soooo much more appetizing than fish. Right up there with shoe leather, by all accounts...

--Lindsey

Yup. When the explorers got to the Columbia River, they refused to eat Salmon and were close to starving for lack of Beef!

Judy G. Russell
April 18th, 2006, 09:43 AM
You would've fit right in on the Lewis and Clark Expedition!Hey, pal... my idea of roughing it is a Howard Johnson's instead of a Hyatt Regency!

Lindsey
April 18th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Yup. When the explorers got to the Columbia River, they refused to eat Salmon and were close to starving for lack of Beef!
No wonder the Indians thought white men were loco.

Of course, I have read that the Puritans in New England would write home to relatives in England complaining that they had nothing to eat but lobster...

--Lindsey

earler
April 20th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Not just lobster but fried clams at howard johnson's, too.

-er

ndebord
April 20th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Hey, pal... my idea of roughing it is a Howard Johnson's instead of a Hyatt Regency!

Judy,

Let me see if I understand all this. You like to run your fingers through the sand at the beach in cutoffs and a t-shirt, but you won't eat fish. You will eat steak, but your prefer to do it at a Ho Jo's.

Must have been all those client dinners out that convinced you that Ho Jo's was the place to go for steak!

(Busy looking for a beach, a clam bake and some lobster traps!)

Lindsey
April 20th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Not just lobster but fried clams at howard johnson's, too.
Zebediah Johnson's, perhaps. ;)

Despite its meager, rocky soil, New England proffered a bounty of raw ingredients, fish of all kinds -- especially cod, which was salted for the winter -- and shellfish. One colonial diarist moans that he is forced to eat lobster for every meal: lobster lobster lobster!

http://www.cuisinenet.com/glossary/newengl.html

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
April 20th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Let me see if I understand all this. You like to run your fingers through the sand at the beach in cutoffs and a t-shirt, but you won't eat fish. You will eat steak, but your prefer to do it at a Ho Jo's.Errr... not exactly. I like to run my fingers through the sand at the beach in cutoffs and a t-shirt, but I don't like fishy fish (I do like shellfish). I will eat steak, gladly, but I prefer to do it at Ruth's Chris.

ndebord
April 20th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Errr... not exactly. I like to run my fingers through the sand at the beach in cutoffs and a t-shirt, but I don't like fishy fish (I do like shellfish). I will eat steak, gladly, but I prefer to do it at Ruth's Chris.

Judy,

Fish...fish and still more fish, is my motto! The fishier the fish, the better I like it! Shellfish, game fish, river fish, tuna-fish. I just like fish!

Don't eat steak any more at all, but I do miss it.

;-)

Judy G. Russell
April 21st, 2006, 04:19 PM
Fish...fish and still more fish, is my motto! The fishier the fish, the better I like it! Shellfish, game fish, river fish, tuna-fish. I just like fish!I always knew there was something a little strange about you...

ndebord
April 21st, 2006, 07:31 PM
I always knew there was something a little strange about you...

Judy,

Humph! I still think there's something, ah, fishey about your eating habits!

<g,d&r>

Judy G. Russell
April 21st, 2006, 08:21 PM
JI still think there's something, ah, fishey about your eating habits! <g,d&r>Nope, YOU'RE the one with the fishy habits!

ndebord
April 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
Nope, YOU'RE the one with the fishy habits!

Judy,

Hey, I may like FISH, but at least I don't ignore a major food group (like some people we can mention)!

<g,d&r>

Karl Semper
April 22nd, 2006, 09:42 PM
Nobody would dare to ignore chocolate.....

ndebord
April 22nd, 2006, 11:22 PM
Nobody would dare to ignore chocolate.....)

Karl,

Yup. If anybody can live on chocolate alone, it is Judy!

;-)

Judy G. Russell
April 24th, 2006, 03:45 PM
at least I don't ignore a major food group (like some people we can mention)!Major food group... major food group... let's see, there's chocolate, booze, chocolate, ice cream, chocolate... what else am I missing?

Dan in Saint Louis
April 24th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Major food group... major food group... let's see, there's chocolate, booze, chocolate, ice cream, chocolate... what else am I missing?

Hamburger
Pizza
Beer
Chocolate
Ice Cream

The 5 major food groups.

Karl Semper
April 24th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Hamburger
Pizza
Beer
Chocolate
Ice Cream

The 5 major food groups.

Now if I could just convince my wife of that..... :D

Judy G. Russell
April 24th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Hamburger
Pizza
Beer
Chocolate
Ice Cream

The 5 major food groups.I think I could go with that list! Not in that order, mind you, but...