PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and the AARP Sudoku Puzzle

Guerri Stevens
April 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
My version of Firefox is 1.0.5. I have learned that the notations feature in the AARP Sudoku puzzle doesn't work with that version of Firefox, but it does work with IE. Is there anyone here who has the latest (or a later) version of Firefox and would be willing to experiment?

The URL for the puzzle is: http://www.uclick.com/client/aap/sudoc/

I believe the notations feature is turned on by default. To test whether it works, highlight an empty square by clicking on it (one should be highlighted when the puzzle appears). Then press the shift key (not shift click or shift anything, just plain shift). You should see the digits 1-9 displayed in three rows.

If this works, I can download a new version of Firefox. If it doesn't work, should I report it? Download something that will make it work? I *can* use IE, but would prefer not to.

ktinkel
April 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM
My version of Firefox is 1.0.5. I have learned that the notations feature in the AARP Sudoku puzzle doesn't work with that version of Firefox, but it does work with IE. Canít figure it out myself.

However, I am enjoying (being tortured by?) the Sudoku puzzles here (Gary got me hooked ó if I ever meet him, Iím going to paste him one! <g>):
http://websudoku.com/

Perhaps that will console you for the time being. I use Firefox 1.5.0.1 on the Mac, so this place evidently works with any old thing.

Dan in Saint Louis
April 4th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Is there anyone here who has the latest (or a later) version of Firefox and would be willing to experiment?

I can see "Hints" but not "Notations", Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1

sidney
April 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM
My version of Firefox is 1.0.5. I have learned that the notations feature in the AARP Sudoku puzzle doesn't work with that version of Firefox

It works for me in Firefox 1.5.0.1 on a Mac. I don't have a Windows machine handy right now to try it with. However, I see that the Sudoku site is in Flash (easy for me to tell because I use the Flashblock extension to prevent Flash items from playing automatically until I click on them), which makes it likely that the key factor is your version of the Flash plugin, not the version of Firefox. I can see from about:plugins that I am running Flash Player plugin version 7.0r24.

-- sidney

Gary Maltzen
April 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM
if I ever meet him, Iím going to paste him one! <g>I consider myself virtually pasted.

sidney
April 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Works using Firefox 1.5.0.1 on a linux machine, Fedora Core 5 with Flash version 7.0r25

-- sidney

Guerri Stevens
April 5th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Canít figure it out myself.

However, I am enjoying (being tortured by?) the Sudoku puzzles here (Gary got me hooked ó if I ever meet him, Iím going to paste him one! <g>):
http://websudoku.com/

Thanks for the tip on another site. You can also go to www.life.com and click on their Sudoku puzzle. They have 4 new ones every day: easy, medium, hard, and expert. And they have the 4 daily puzzles for about the past 30 days archived, so you can play those too.

Guerri Stevens
April 5th, 2006, 06:39 PM
It works for me in Firefox 1.5.0.1 on a Mac. I don't have a Windows machine handy right now to try it with. However, I see that the Sudoku site is in Flash (easy for me to tell because I use the Flashblock extension to prevent Flash items from playing automatically until I click on them), which makes it likely that the key factor is your version of the Flash plugin, not the version of Firefox. I can see from about:plugins that I am running Flash Player plugin version 7.0r24.

I don't see any "about plugins" in my version of Firefox. I can open the Tools menu and choose Options, then Downloads and click on the plugins button there. That will give me a list of file extensions and the associated plugin. There were two file extensions using Shockwave Flash Object. I wonder if that is what's wrong?

Judy G. Russell
April 5th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Guerri, just type "about:plugins" (without the quotes) in the same line where you would normally type a URL.

Guerri Stevens
April 6th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I typed "about:plugins" and I got the same information as before plus the version. I have Shockwave Flash version 7.0r19. Somewhere on my hard drive I have, I think, a Macromedia Flash product. I don't know where the stuff comes from and how Firefox decides to use one or the other. I will browse around and see what I can find out.

Judy G. Russell
April 6th, 2006, 11:20 PM
That's a very old version of Flash. Mine is 8.0 r22 and that's without the last update or two.

Guerri Stevens
April 7th, 2006, 02:48 AM
I did a little research and my version is definitely out of date. I looked at the macromedia.com site, and it appears that I can download a free, newer version from there. Is that the correct thing to do? I *hate* Windows - I always fear that I will ruin something. Good ole DOS (sigh). Of course you could ruin stuff there, too.

Judy G. Russell
April 7th, 2006, 09:53 AM
You can download it from there. Check first to see whether there's an update feature in flash itself. If there is, that may be better.

Guerri Stevens
April 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM
You can download it from there. Check first to see whether there's an update feature in flash itself. If there is, that may be better.
I had no idea how to find an update feature in flash itself, but I looked at the files and one was named Get Flash so I tried that. It didn't seem to do anything, but I didn't notice that it had put an icon in the system tray until I had gone ahead and downloaded and installed the newer version. The icon in the system tray had options to get the new version, so at least I now know about that and can use it in the future.

Unfortunately, either Firefox is not recognizing the new flash version or the new version doesn't solve my original problem. I tried the about thing again, and it reported the new version, so I suspect I need a new version of Firefox itself.

When I get the new Firefox version, is it advisable to put it in a different folder from the old one or can I install on top of the older one?

Judy G. Russell
April 7th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Don't ever install a new version of Firefox over an old. You can update from one version of, say, 1.5 to another (1.5.1) via the update feature, but not the install feature. What I usually do is create a new folder (FF1.0 or FF1.5, for example) and install the new one there. Then if it seems to work, I change it to run with the old profile.

Guerri Stevens
April 7th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Don't ever install a new version of Firefox over an old. You can update from one version of, say, 1.5 to another (1.5.1) via the update feature, but not the install feature. What I usually do is create a new folder (FF1.0 or FF1.5, for example) and install the new one there. Then if it seems to work, I change it to run with the old profile.
Once it's all done and working, I assume the earlier version can be deleted.

ktinkel
April 7th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I consider myself virtually pasted.Oh, good ó how does it feel? ;)

ktinkel
April 7th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the tip on another site. You can also go to www.life.com (http://www.life.com) and click on their Sudoku puzzle. They have 4 new ones every day: easy, medium, hard, and expert. And they have the 4 daily puzzles for about the past 30 days archived, so you can play those too.Oh, gee ó gotta watch out.

What I like about WebSudoku is the ability to enter a range of numbers in a box until you sort it out. I know ó I am a wuss!

Judy G. Russell
April 7th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Once it's all done and working, I assume the earlier version can be deleted.Yep. Just don't delete the profile, since you'll be using that with the new version.

Guerri Stevens
April 8th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Oh, gee ó gotta watch out.

What I like about WebSudoku is the ability to enter a range of numbers in a box until you sort it out. I know ó I am a wuss!
You can put notations in the squares in the Life version too. The site calls them "pencil marks" and it's done a bit differently from the websudoku. The thing I like about the Life site is the access to about a month's worth of archived puzzles. Don't ask me what I did on this rainy day!

Guerri Stevens
April 8th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Yep. Just don't delete the profile, since you'll be using that with the new version.
I am not sure, but I think the new version incorporated my profile. I know it copied the bookmarks, and I think the settings were copied as well, although the settings format is different in 1.5.

How would you go about pointing the new version to the old profile? Or do you just copy the old profile to the proper new location?

One thing that drives me insane is the plugins. I had just yesterday downloaded and installed the latest Flash. So why oh why, when I had finished installing Firefox 1.5 did it not locate and use it? I tried to figure out where it was so I could copy or move it to where it belonged under the new version, but had to give up and let it be downloaded again, this time seeming to take much longer.

Guerri Stevens
April 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I can see "Hints" but not "Notations", Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1This is for Dan and/or anyone who is not yet totally bored with this topic: I now have a new version of Firefox, 1.5.0.1 and a new version of the Flash player. The problem with the notations in the AARP Sudoku is not fixed.

Because I now have the latest and greatest and because the notations work under Internet Explorer, my current theory is that either there is something about Firefox itself that is preventing them from working -or- there is something in my settings that is causing the problem. I spent a little time looking at my settings but didn't spot anything that looked promising.

Dan in Saint Louis
April 8th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Because I now have the latest and greatest and because the notations work under Internet Explorer, my current theory is that either there is something about Firefox itself that is preventing them from working -or- there is something in my settings that is causing the problem.
Or - more likely than either - is that there is IE-specific coding on that site. IE responds to some pages built using Microsoft applications in a way not defined by W3C (http://www.w3.org/). This caused no end of questions in the old Netscape/Mozilla forum when it still existed on P-CIS.

sidney
April 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Guerri, I finally got access to a Windows machine. It did have the same problem, and I have two solutions for you.

It is a problem on their web site that only shows up when it detects that you are running Firefox and is in Windows. I can't tell exactly what they are doing wrong, but I see the effects of it and how to avoid those efects.

The solution that I think is easiest is for you to install the Firefox user agent switcher extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/59/)

In Firefox, click on that link, then click on the Install Now for Windows button, at which point a dialog will come up and after three seconds its Install Now button will enable and you click that. Firefox will then open the Extensions window which will show that you have the User Agent Switcher extension installed. Exit Firefox and start it up again to enable the new extension.

You will now have a new menu item under Tools, called User Agent Switcher. Before you go to the Sudoku web site, use the Tools | User Agent Switcher menu to select Internet Explorer 6 (Windows XP). That will cause Firefox to tell the web site that you are using IE, and the website will run Flash properly for a Windows machine and the shift key will work. If you forget to switch the user agent to IE before you go to the Sudoku web page, simply switch the agent to IE and then shift-click the page reload icon to force the page to fully reload.

Remember to use Tools | User Agent Switcher | Default when you are ready to go to another web site.

The other solution is to use the following URL to access Sudoku, which accesses the flash program directly without the surrounding HTML that is apparently incorrect. This gives you a full page Sudoku game, which you may or may not like, and doesn't give you the dropdown menu to select a different day's game. But it does work without having to fool the web server into thinking that you are running IE. This is the URL for today's game:

http://uclick.com/puzzles/sudoc/uc_sudoku.swf

To select a specific day, for example April 3, 2006, use

http://uclick.com/puzzles/sudoc/uc_sudoku.swf?dt=060403

-- sidney

Guerri Stevens
April 11th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the information on the switcher extension for Firefox and for the two URLs. I tried the current day's URL and that worked fine, even though the puzzle was full-screen size. I think I had heard about that extension somewhere else, when someone had posted a list of desirable Firefox extensions, but I didn't pay much attention to it at the time I read it and had forgotten it! It probably makes sense to get it because there will be other sites for which it can be used.

Thanks for working this out!