PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to our WWII veterans

Judy G. Russell
March 27th, 2006, 08:27 PM
The story, as I heard it, goes like this...

The elderly parking lot attendant wasn't in a good mood. Neither was Sam Bierstock. It was around 1 a.m., and Bierstock, a Delray Beach, Fla. , eye doctor, business consultant, corporate speaker and musician, was bone tired after appearing at an event.

He pulled up in his car, and the parking attendant began to speak. "I took two bullets for this country and look what I'm doing," he said bitterly. At first, Bierstock didn't know what to say to the World War II veteran. But he rolled down his window and told the man, "Really, from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you."

Then the old soldier began to cry.

"That really got to me," Bierstock says.

Cut to today.

Bierstock, 58, and John Melnick, 54, of Pompano Beach - a member of Bierstock's band, Dr. Sam and the Managed Care Band - have written a song inspired by that old soldier in the airport parking lot. The mournful "Before You Go" does more than salute those who fought in WWII. It encourages people to go out of their way to thank the aging warriors before they die.

"If we had lost that particular war, our whole way of life would have been shot," says Bierstock, who plays harmonica. "The WW II soldiers are now dying at the rate of about 2,000 every day. I thought we needed to thank them."

The song is striking a chord. Within four days of Bierstock placing it on the Web, the song and accompanying photo essay (http://www.beforeyougo.us/) have bounced around nine countries, producing tears and heartfelt thanks from veterans, their sons and daughters and grandchildren.

"It made me cry," wrote one veteran's son. Another sent an e-mail saying that only after his father consumed several glasses of wine would he discuss "the unspeakable horrors" he and other soldiers had witnessed in places such as Anzio, Iwo Jima, Bataan and Omaha Beach. "I can never thank them enough," the son wrote. "Thank you for thinking about them."

Bierstock and Melnick thought about shipping it off to a professional singer, maybe a Lee Greenwood type, but because time was running out for so many veterans, they decided it was best to release it quickly, for free, on the Web. They've sent the song to Sen. John McCain and others in Washington. Already they have been invited to perform it in Houston for a Veterans Day tribute - this after just a few days on the Web. They hope every veteran in America gets a chance to hear it.

And I do too...

Click here (http://www.managedmusic.com/beforeyougo.html)... and be sure to have your sound turned up. And something close at hand to dry your eyes...

ndebord
March 30th, 2006, 04:24 PM
The story, as I heard it, goes like this...

The elderly parking lot attendant wasn't in a good mood. Neither was Sam Bierstock. It was around 1 a.m., and Bierstock, a Delray Beach, Fla. , eye doctor, business consultant, corporate speaker and musician, was bone tired after appearing at an event.

He pulled up in his car, and the parking attendant began to speak. "I took two bullets for this country and look what I'm doing," he said bitterly. At first, Bierstock didn't know what to say to the World War II veteran. But he rolled down his window and told the man, "Really, from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you."

Then the old soldier began to cry.

"That really got to me," Bierstock says.

Cut to today.

Bierstock, 58, and John Melnick, 54, of Pompano Beach - a member of Bierstock's band, Dr. Sam and the Managed Care Band - have written a song inspired by that old soldier in the airport parking lot. The mournful "Before You Go" does more than salute those who fought in WWII. It encourages people to go out of their way to thank the aging warriors before they die.

"If we had lost that particular war, our whole way of life would have been shot," says Bierstock, who plays harmonica. "The WW II soldiers are now dying at the rate of about 2,000 every day. I thought we needed to thank them."

The song is striking a chord. Within four days of Bierstock placing it on the Web, the song and accompanying photo essay (http://www.beforeyougo.us/) have bounced around nine countries, producing tears and heartfelt thanks from veterans, their sons and daughters and grandchildren.

"It made me cry," wrote one veteran's son. Another sent an e-mail saying that only after his father consumed several glasses of wine would he discuss "the unspeakable horrors" he and other soldiers had witnessed in places such as Anzio, Iwo Jima, Bataan and Omaha Beach. "I can never thank them enough," the son wrote. "Thank you for thinking about them."

Bierstock and Melnick thought about shipping it off to a professional singer, maybe a Lee Greenwood type, but because time was running out for so many veterans, they decided it was best to release it quickly, for free, on the Web. They've sent the song to Sen. John McCain and others in Washington. Already they have been invited to perform it in Houston for a Veterans Day tribute - this after just a few days on the Web. They hope every veteran in America gets a chance to hear it.

And I do too...

Click here (http://www.managedmusic.com/beforeyougo.html)... and be sure to have your sound turned up. And something close at hand to dry your eyes...

Judy,

Quite a song and quite a war too. It ruined one Uncle's life and quite possibily saved the life of my father, who had the bad habit of sleep walking on a DE in the South Pacific and got shipped home some time before his ship was sunk.

Judy G. Russell
March 30th, 2006, 09:59 PM
So many members of my mother's family were in that war. Among them... My mother's oldest brother Bill was on the Hornet when it went down at the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands. Her older brother Monte had ships sunk out from under him twice. Her cousin Philip left his appointment to Annapolis after a year because he was afraid the war would be over before he would graduate. Bill and Monte made it home. Philip didn't.

ndebord
March 31st, 2006, 08:24 PM
So many members of my mother's family were in that war. Among them... My mother's oldest brother Bill was on the Hornet when it went down at the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands. Her older brother Monte had ships sunk out from under him twice. Her cousin Philip left his appointment to Annapolis after a year because he was afraid the war would be over before he would graduate. Bill and Monte made it home. Philip didn't.

Judy,

My father's side of the family tree is what I know most about. On my mother's side, the family was more prolific and the list of WWII veterans is too long to enumerate. That Uncle I was talking about is the drunk who did one war too many, as he was a Lt in WWII and a 1st Lt. / Captain in Korea (Marine Corp) and was never the same. The stories on my mother's side are harder to come by as we were not close after the 50s and I was too young then to remember or even hear the stories.

By my time, it was cousins who served in 'Nam, as my brother managed to do 4 years in the Med and the Gulf of Mexico (Navy)!

Judy G. Russell
March 31st, 2006, 09:52 PM
It's cousins I have now in Iraq... and had in earlier wars!

ndebord
March 31st, 2006, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=Judy G. Russell]It's cousins I have now in Iraq... and had in earlier wars![/QUOTE

Judy,

I don't know if my cousins are serving. It is my more immediate family (nephews and nieces) that I worry about in Iraq and Central Asia.

Judy G. Russell
April 1st, 2006, 11:29 AM
I don't know if my cousins are serving. It is my more immediate family (nephews and nieces) that I worry about in Iraq and Central Asia.I don't have any nieces or nephews in service at the moment. Cousins by the dozens, but no closer (thank heavens).