PDA

View Full Version : Street names

Judy G. Russell
February 27th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Somebody got the idea of seeing if they could find the most interesting street names in the United States (I heard on WCBS88 radio on the way home tonight).

One person suggested the intersection of Count and Basie in Richmond VA.

Somebody else said Street of Death somewhere in Warren County NJ.

Somebody else said Bucket o' Blood somewhere in (I think) New Mexico.

But the winner, and I wish I could remember exactly where they said this was (my recollection is somewhere in the upper midwest -- Wisconsin maybe?):

Psycho Path.

(And we can all think of some folks who should live there...)

ndebord
February 27th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Somebody got the idea of seeing if they could find the most interesting street names in the United States (I heard on WCBS88 radio on the way home tonight).

Somebody else said Street of Death somewhere in Warren County NJ.

Somebody else said Bucket o' Blood somewhere in (I think) New Mexico.

But the winner, and I wish I could remember exactly where they said this was (my recollection is somewhere in the upper midwest -- Wisconsin maybe?):

Psycho Path.

Judy,

Upper MidWest. Not Hell, Michigan, by any chance?

<g>

Judy G. Russell
February 27th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Nope, not Hell, Michigan (though I was always under the impression that Hell was supposed to be hot, not cold. Then again, I've also always heard that old line about "when Hell freezes over"...)

RayB (France)
February 28th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Nope, not Hell, Michigan (though I was always under the impression that Hell was supposed to be hot, not cold. Then again, I've also always heard that old line about "when Hell freezes over"...)

Being from Detroit orginally, I have been to 'Hell and back' several times.

Judy G. Russell
February 28th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Being from Detroit orginally, I have been to 'Hell and back' several times.ROFL!!! Gads, I can't imagine living anyplace that cold!

Pats
February 28th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Psycho Path.

Traverse City, Michigan.

Patsie

RayB (France)
February 28th, 2006, 06:37 PM
ROFL!!! Gads, I can't imagine living anyplace that cold!

You don't find any Brass Monkeys living there, for sure.

Judy G. Russell
February 28th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Traverse City, Michigan.Hiya Patsie!!! Yeah, that's what it was, all right. Glad to see somebody else heard this story. What a hoot!

Judy G. Russell
February 28th, 2006, 08:01 PM
You know, I know what a brass monkey is, and I know why they shouldn't "live" in cold climates, but I have absolutely no idea how it got to be called a brass monkey in the first place...

Lindsey
February 28th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I was going to say I had never heard of either road, but it turns out they do indeed exist, and they interesect -- not too far from where my brother lives, AAMOF.

Some of these were mentioned last night on MSNBC's "Countdown." The top ten list is here (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bizarre/3683583.html). As Patsie said (Hi, Pats!), Psycho Path is in Traverse City, Michigan. "Countdown" also mentioned the 2nd place winner: Divorce Court in Heather Highlands, PA.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
February 28th, 2006, 09:36 PM
You know, I know what a brass monkey is, and I know why they shouldn't "live" in cold climates, but I have absolutely no idea how it got to be called a brass monkey in the first place...
I don't think anyone really knows where the phrase came from, but there's an interesting discussion here (http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bra1.htm).

--Lindsey

Oh, my--what Google will turn up. There's a company that has actually had the, umm, you-know-what to apply the name "Brass Monkeys" to its line of underwear (http://www.brassmonkeys.co.uk/history/default.html).

http://www.brassmonkeys.co.uk/brassypix/testimonial.gif

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
February 28th, 2006, 10:53 PM
ROFL!!! Love the underwear company ad...

Judy G. Russell
February 28th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Divorce Court! Ha! I wonder if you have to be, to live there?

Lindsey
February 28th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Divorce Court! Ha! I wonder if you have to be, to live there?
You'd have to be suspicious of the motives of any married person who wanted to test that proposition...

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
March 1st, 2006, 09:43 AM
I can imagine a young (and very foolish) couple who'd think it was funny... for a while...

Karl Semper
March 1st, 2006, 10:28 PM
At the other end of the spectrum, one of my coworkers lived on EASY street.

Judy G. Russell
March 1st, 2006, 10:55 PM
The only way I could live there would be to win the lottery...

Wayne Scott
March 2nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
(And we can all think of some folks who should live there. . . )

I bitterly resent that.

Lovable in Lubbock

Judy G. Russell
March 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
You resemble that???

Karl Semper
March 2nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
That would be the only way that I would live there also, but I think I would look for it to be in another area.

ndebord
March 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM

Judy,

I see you've not met the Swedish side of my family tree. Hell is definitely cold and if you go to the northern parts of Michigan, you'll find plenty of scandinavians who'll tell you all about it. If you go to the UP, you'll even enjoy Pasties...not part of the costume for exotic dancers, but meat pies with onions and potatos. A very hearty meal when you're looking at 20 below!

ndebord
March 2nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Being from Detroit orginally, I have been to 'Hell and back' several times.

Ray,

Being from Bay City, I've been to hell and it was Detroit in 1967! I was wandering around the town in my Class B's, wondering why there was so much smoke in the sky.

<g>

Judy G. Russell
March 2nd, 2006, 10:52 PM
I like pasties, but I hate cold weather, so you ain't gonna find me in the UP except in the summer. Had a Scandinavian friend from that area who was living in NYC for a while; he took the train out to NJ so we could go to a computer show together. I was sitting in my car at the train station, wearing a parka, engine turned on, heater chugging away and still a little chilled. He got off the train... wearing a t-shirt. Weird. Weird, I tell you.

RayB (France)
March 3rd, 2006, 02:15 AM
Ray,

Being from Bay City, I've been to hell and it was Detroit in 1967! I was wandering around the town in my Class B's, wondering why there was so much smoke in the sky.

<g>

Haven't been back for over 40 yrs. I hear it has changed a little. (g)

ndebord
March 3rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Haven't been back for over 40 yrs. I hear it has changed a little. (g)

Ray,

Is that an exact 40 years? If so, then you last saw the joint in 1966 and it was 1967 that was the seminal year for the town. The riots and the fires that accompanied them changed things permanently imo.