PDA

View Full Version : It's about time!

Judy G. Russell
February 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Effa Manley, owner of the Newark Eagles (a Negro League team from the '30s and '40s), fought for years to get athletes from the Negro League recognized by the Baseball Hall of Fame. She kept a scrapbook memorializing the careers of the best of them, and published a book ("Negro Baseball ... before Integration") arguing for inclusion of 73 players. She went on a letter-writing campaign seeking recognition for the league and its players.

Over the years her work paid off. In 1973, the Baseball Hall of Fame enshrined 11 players from the Negro Leagues, and in 1985 it added an exhibit on black baseball.

Today, her work paid off in a way I don't think she would have expected... but I think she would have enjoyed. Today, the Baseball Hall of Fame decided to honor Effa Manley herself. Along with 12 players and four other owners / managers, Effa Manley today was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

To say that Effa Manley was larger than life is probably to minimize her accomplishments. A civil rights activist and untiring fighter for the rights and interests of her players, Manley was a real character. One story has it that she insisted that the pitching rotation be changed for the Newark Eagles one day so a specific (and particularly attractive) young pitcher would pitch. Why? Effa was bringing her social club women to the game. Another story says she gave bunt signals to the players by crossing or uncrossing her legs. True or not, these stories and others are representative of her role with the team, with her players, with baseball itself.

It's about time, Baseball Hall of Fame. It's about time...

Lindsey
February 28th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Keith Olbermann, on the other hand, is incensed that they overlooked Buck O'Neill and Minnie Minoso. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11478921/#060228a

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
March 1st, 2006, 09:41 AM
I sure agree about Buck O'Neill, but I think he's being awfully harsh on Effa Manley when he says she was white "pretending" to be black. With her stepfather, siblings and husband black, having been raised in a black-headed household, having lived as a black, being treated as a black, "pretending" is a harsh word.

Lindsey
March 1st, 2006, 09:58 PM
I sure agree about Buck O'Neill, but I think he's being awfully harsh on Effa Manley when he says she was white "pretending" to be black. With her stepfather, siblings and husband black, having been raised in a black-headed household, having lived as a black, being treated as a black, "pretending" is a harsh word.
That could be; I don't follow baseball, and I don't know the players, but it did seem a terrible thing that they excluded O'Neill when at the same time they included some guy with a known mafia connection.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
March 1st, 2006, 10:55 PM
O'Neill absolutely positively should have been chosen. No question.

Lindsey
March 2nd, 2006, 09:47 PM
O'Neill absolutely positively should have been chosen. No question.
Sounds like there's starting to be some agitation about that. And speculation that he was excluded as much because of politics within baseball as anything: there are suspicions that some of the PTB in the Hall of Fame wish to punish him for his work on behalf of a separate hall of fame for the Negro League at a time when those players were being excluded from the major league hall of fame.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
March 2nd, 2006, 10:56 PM
I suspect it's more petty than that -- there was a lot of agitating on O'Neil's behalf, period. And that ruffles feathers... and folks tend to dig their heels in when their feathers get ruffled.

Lindsey
March 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I suspect it's more petty than that -- there was a lot of agitating on O'Neil's behalf, period. And that ruffles feathers... and folks tend to dig their heels in when their feathers get ruffled.
Ah, geez.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
March 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Ah, geez.Yep. Not very pretty -- indeed, among the least attractive aspects of humankind, I'm afraid.