PDA

View Full Version : Photo Flashes?

Mike Landi
February 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM
This note is aimed mainly at our resident photograph expert (read Judy <g>), but any opinions are welcome.

I'm looking to get an external flash for my G3. Without dropping a huge amount of $ (the car already made its demands and it got what it wanted!), I also want to get something half (or 3/4 good.)

I'm looking at this item (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7586651041&fromMakeTrack=true) on eBay. It has a guide # of 92, so if I understand that properly, it is a powerful flash.

Any opinions? (I'd like to keep the cost under $60, if that is reasonable.)

Judy G. Russell
February 18th, 2006, 11:58 PM
You don't want that one; it's a slave (off-camera flash triggered by the camera or the on-camera flash). You want one you can mount on the G3's hot shoe.

I'd go with the Canon 220EX flash (or one of the knockoffs) myself if you aren't willing to sport for the 420EX (or a knockoff). There are some knockoffs for the 220EX on Ebay with Buy It Now prices well in your ballpark so you should be able to pick one up at auction for a good price. The Opteka is a reasonably good knockoff, and you can get it new from Opteka (http://www.opteka.com/productdetail.asp?productid=4179) for about $70 (less on Ebay or Amazon from 47th Street Photo).

Mike Landi
February 19th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks a lot!

After I posted the question to you, I did some reading and found some quite negative reviews on that flash.

I'll go looking for the two Canons. Do you use a flash? Is the 420EX that much better?

Judy G. Russell
February 19th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I do use a flash, the 420EX, and depending on your use of the flash, the 220EX may do the trick. Essentially the difference between the 220EX and the 420EX (besides the size -- the 220EX is very small and compact) is in the on-flash controls. The 220EX doesn't really have any, so everything has to be controlled through the camera, and there's only a limited range of "talking" between a G3 and the flash. That means a lot of the fancier features -- FE Lock, flash exposure compensation and second-curtain sync -- aren't going to work at all or as well as they would with the 420EX (which has a bunch of on-flash controls).

But a lot of those features are not things you'll use a lot -- if what you really want is nothing more than a much better flash than the built-in with the ability to toss a diffuser on it, the 220EX should be just dandy.

Mike Landi
February 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM
The size is a big deal for me too. The 220EX sounds great and I will try to get one. Thanks a lot for steering me in the right direction.

BTW, what is second-curtain sync? I've never understood what it is used for?

Judy G. Russell
February 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM
BTW, what is second-curtain sync? I've never understood what it is used for?"Instead of firing the instant the shutter opens, Second-Curtain Sync fires the flash at the end of the exposure, allowing streaks of light to flow naturally behind the movement of the subject. This mode opens a door to more creative opportunities, and is most effective when slow shutter speeds are used in combination with a subject that has a light source of its own, such as the headlights of a moving car." See the photos here (http://www.videodirecteoscameras.com/canonspeedlitestechnology.html).

Mike Landi
February 19th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Interesting. Every example I've seen mentions moving cars. <g> To be fair, the link you gave me gives more detail than the Canon manual.

I've got my eye on a few 220ex items on eBay. I'll see if I can get one for under $100.

Thanks again!

Judy G. Russell
February 19th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Good luck! It's a great flash.

Mike Landi
February 20th, 2006, 06:14 AM
I went for a new one from Beach Camera. More than I wanted to spend, but I would rather spend a little more than kick myself for buying crap. Thanks again for the good advice.

Judy G. Russell
February 20th, 2006, 10:46 AM
You're most welcome. I think you'll really like it. Now make sure you get a diffuser, and use it a LOT when shooting the boys.

Mike Landi
February 20th, 2006, 12:39 PM
You think a diffuser is necessary with this flash? I figured the camera and flash would work together to cut down on harsh flashes. That and PhotoShop would be all I need.

You think otherwise (obviously).

Judy G. Russell
February 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Hmmm... looking more carefully at this flash, you may not need a diffuser because of the way it works. If you do need anything, you can try (literally) putting a white handkerchief over the flash to soften it. Try it out for a while first.

Mike Landi
February 20th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Cool. I thought (believing the ad literature) that the camera and the flash communicated through the hot shoe.

I'll see how it goes. I can always get a diffuser if needed. I'm looking forward to using this, especially since there will be a nine year old birthday party at my house this Saturday. <g>

Judy G. Russell
February 20th, 2006, 09:13 PM
The flash and camera do communicate through the hot shoe, but you don't get the full range of communication between the 220EX and the camera that you would with, say, the 420EX. OTOH, the 200EX is much smaller and less expensive. So it's a tradeoff.

Mike Landi
February 21st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Interesting. Obviously, I have a lot to learn when it comes to flashes.

Judy G. Russell
February 21st, 2006, 03:16 PM
Sigh... I read that and wondered why you were needing to learn about hot flashes. Then I realized what thread we were in...

Mike Landi
February 21st, 2006, 08:22 PM
<ROFL>!

Lisa's not that old...yet. <g>

Mike Landi
February 21st, 2006, 08:28 PM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I got the 220EX today and I am very happy. I took about 30 shots with it and learned quickly that I really don't have much to worry about. The G3 and the 220EX get along just fine and the G3 takes control over the flash quite well.

The 220EX has pleanty of power for what I need. A nice plus for it is that it will not wash out on a close up shot, but will allow me to turn up the shutter speed to catch motion in the dark, or bring out fine detail.

Check out this picture (http://home.nycap.rr.com/landihome/IMG_3847.JPG) . This little subject always seemed to get terrible reflections in her eyes. Now, well, you can see for yourself.

Judy G. Russell
February 22nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
Excellent! Glad to hear everything is working out.

And what a pretty kitty!

Mike Landi
February 22nd, 2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks! That's Ashley. She has a few nicknames, "Pretty Kitty" (obvious), "Flabby Tabby", partially undeserved. She has a roll of skin where she was spaded.

The last is "Hammers", as in "Box of Hammers", as in "Dumb as a box of hammers". She's known to do some really dumb things. Crying to be let into a room where the door is partially open is her best trick. She's good at not understanding that you can walk around an object, rather than crying to have someone more the object.

(She's the sweetest cat. Her favorite trick is to run ahead of you, then stop, drop and roll belly up so you can scratch her belly.)

Judy G. Russell
February 22nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
She's good at not understanding that you can walk around an object, rather than crying to have someone move the object.And what makes you think that's dumb? If she can get her entertainment by making her pet people do silly things like move the object, just who's being dumb here?

Mike Landi
February 22nd, 2006, 04:00 PM
And what makes you think that's dumb? If she can get her entertainment by making her pet people do silly things like move the object, just who's being dumb here?

<g>

Good point. She does know how to get her way.

Judy G. Russell
February 22nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
She does know how to get her way.Of course she does. She's a cat.

Mike Landi
February 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
Quite the cat. Fortunately, she lets us live here and sleep in our own bed (with permission).

Mike Landi
February 22nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Thought you might like to see Ashley's brother, Scotty (http://home.nycap.rr.com/landihome/IMG_3851.jpg).

Judy G. Russell
February 22nd, 2006, 09:05 PM
What a gorgeous orange tabby! You don't see too many that attractive.

Judy G. Russell
February 22nd, 2006, 09:05 PM
Mine let me live here as long as I feed them twice a day and clean the litter boxes... and they sleep in my bed...

Mike Landi
February 22nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
You should see him when he is chasing ice cubs around the kitchen floor!

Mike Landi
February 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
Boxes? I have enough to do cleaning one!

Judy G. Russell
February 22nd, 2006, 11:03 PM
Ice cubs? What are you raising up there in snow country anyway?????

Mike Landi
February 23rd, 2006, 08:58 AM
Ice cubs? What are you raising up there in snow country anyway?????

See? I miss the spell checker! <g> (Actually, the checker would not have caught that one.)

Judy G. Russell
February 23rd, 2006, 12:22 PM
I was imagining large white critters with long whiskers and tails...

http://www.stitchability.co.uk/baby%20snow%20leopards%2071004.jpg

Mike Landi
February 23rd, 2006, 12:46 PM
Stunning!

I've got to learn more about composition. I'm getting better at taking pictures, but I don't have a feel for setting up shots.

<sigh>

I'm sure a few thousand more pictures will help.

Judy G. Russell
February 23rd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Don't give me credit for that one! Not my shot! It sure is pretty thought...

Mike Landi
February 23rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
I was giving you credit....for being a better photographer than me. <g>

I guess a lot depends on how good you are at 'seeing' a scene that would look good in a photograph.

Judy G. Russell
February 23rd, 2006, 03:08 PM
I guess a lot depends on how good you are at 'seeing' a scene that would look good in a photograph.Yep, and that is something you develop over time. Fortunately, with digital technology, it's cheaper than it's ever been before to practice and practice and practice again. Look at an object from every angle, shoot from above, from below, shoot with the light, shoot backlighted, etc. And destroy all the evidence of shots that didn't work out right!

Mike Landi
February 23rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Look at an object from every angle, shoot from above, from below

That's something I need to learn to do. I don't consider moving the camera up or down, only left or right. I seem to only stand still and step in or back.

I have to learn to "bend my knees". <g>

Judy G. Russell
February 23rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
I have to learn to "bend my knees". <g>Absolutely. Use every angle you can -- and remember that the best shots are when you make the camera capture what you see in your mind.

Mike Landi
February 24th, 2006, 06:21 AM
the best shots are when you make the camera capture what you see in your mind.

...sometimes I don't want anyone to see what's in my mind. <g>

Judy G. Russell
February 24th, 2006, 01:53 PM
...sometimes I don't want anyone to see what's in my mind. <g>Not THAT kind of pictures!!!!

Mike Landi
February 24th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Not THAT kind of pictures!!!!

<LOL>