PDA

View Full Version : PLAY BALL!!!

Judy G. Russell
February 15th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I don't know about anybody else, but even having Brian Cashman announce that (gee, what's new about this?) Carl Pavano was having problems brought a smile to my face. The Yankees are in Tampa! Can Spring (and baseball) be far behind???

lensue
February 16th, 2006, 12:27 AM
>Can Spring (and baseball) be far behind???<

Judy, may it definitely start by the time we return from Costa Rica in a few weeks! We were in NYC today and with the balmy spring like day it really felt good--driving with the windows open over the Brooklyn Bridge was a pleasure! Regards, Len [g]

Judy G. Russell
February 16th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Yesterday and today were spectacular. This weekend we're getting a blast of arctic air. My grandmother used to call this "pneumonia weather".

Mike Landi
February 16th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I don't know about anybody else, but even having Brian Cashman announce that (gee, what's new about this?) Carl Pavano was having problems brought a smile to my face. The Yankees are in Tampa! Can Spring (and baseball) be far behind???

Somehow, I knew that the Yankees' pitching problems would be back. Pavano hurt? What's new?

(I can't wait for openning day!)

Judy G. Russell
February 16th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I swear, I laughed when I heard about Pavano's back. Deja vu all over again!

Now... when do we open and against whom? Is tomorrow too soon???

Mike Landi
February 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM
We open up on the West Coast (good!) against Oakland and Anahiem/LA/California/whatever they are called.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait....

Judy G. Russell
February 16th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Home opener April 11!!! Less than 60 days to go!

ndebord
February 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Judy,

Now I know you're a fanatical Yankee fan! Pavano has a bad back. Johnson is 42 or so and has a bad back (and a flat slider). Wang has a questionable shoulder. Wright ain't been right...yet. That leaves Moose at age 37 and Chacon as your aces and they moved Small to the bullpen after he only went 10-0 for them last year!

Am I missing anybody?

Judy G. Russell
February 16th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Am I missing anybody?Nope. But I have to tell you... I had to laugh... there's poor Joe Torre, being interviewed right as they started the very first practice, saying he thought the pitching problems of last year were behind them, and then Brian Cashman comes out to say Pavano's back is bad again. Sigh...

chm
February 16th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Yes, can Spring be far behind? Baseball's coming!

...Anahiem/LA/California/whatever they are called.

Exactly, and that's my home team here in OC. Embarrassing...

Now Anaheim is pissy because they spent all that money suing the Angels' owner and lost because the contract was indeed followed - "Anaheim" had to be in the team's name somewhere, and it most certainly is, however awkwardly.

Some also point out how odd it is to have a team called The Angels Angels.

Do note that Anaheim isn't really that close to Los Angeles and is in a different, and sizable, other county.

And, then there's the Anaheim "Mighty Ducks" - some are now funning over how maybe the "Ducks" should have been removed from the name, not "Mighty." Guess that's what you get when your team is named after a Disney movie... Of course, they play in "The Pond." Note that the ANAHEIM Ducks play in pretty much the same neighborhood as the LOS ANGELES Angels...

Carolyn

Judy G. Russell
February 16th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Yes, can Spring be far behind? Baseball's coming!Soon soon soon soon! I need spring and I need baseball!

ndebord
February 16th, 2006, 07:29 PM
We open up on the West Coast (good!) against Oakland and Anahiem/LA/California/whatever they are called.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait....

Mike,

I think they're called the Los Alamos Angels now.

(snicker)

ndebord
February 16th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Nope. But I have to tell you... I had to laugh... there's poor Joe Torre, being interviewed right as they started the very first practice, saying he thought the pitching problems of last year were behind them, and then Brian Cashman comes out to say Pavano's back is bad again. Sigh...

Judy,

Yeah, they oughta put wheelchairs with names on them right next to 3/4's of the Yankees starting pitchers' lockers!

Judy G. Russell
February 16th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Oooooh... mean... funny, and possibly true, but mean...

Lindsey
February 16th, 2006, 11:06 PM
The Yankees are in Tampa! Can Spring (and baseball) be far behind???
LOL!! You don't need spring blossoms -- all you need is a baseball game! (But how are your daffodils doing, by the way?)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
February 16th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Daffodils and tulips keep trying to figure out what the weather is doing. There's a whole bunch of 'em sticking their heads up and if they don't die in the repeat freeze-thaw-warm cycles we're having, I may have some nice flowers in a few weeks!

Lindsey
February 17th, 2006, 12:14 AM
There's a whole bunch of 'em sticking their heads up and if they don't die in the repeat freeze-thaw-warm cycles we're having, I may have some nice flowers in a few weeks!
Trust the ancient wisdom in the DNA of the plants. ;-) You'll have some nice flowers in a few weeks!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
February 17th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I sincerely hope you're right, because you have absolutely no idea how annoyed I will be if I don't. I am not one for hard outdoor digging-in-the-dirt type work and if it proves to have been for naught, well...

Lindsey
February 17th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I sincerely hope you're right, because you have absolutely no idea how annoyed I will be if I don't. I am not one for hard outdoor digging-in-the-dirt type work and if it proves to have been for naught, well...
That's the great thing about bulbs -- they're hard to mess up. The chief thing you need to do is to plant them sufficiently deeply, and not to plant them in the middle of a swamp, where they will be more likely to rot than bloom.

Did you plant crocuses? My mother's crocuses are in bloom. Yours should be very shortly, if they aren't already!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
February 17th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Yep, lots and lots of crocuses. Haven't seen any blooming yet...! The usual bloom time here is around the 10th-15th of March (or at least that's what I've seen here in the past).

Lindsey
February 17th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Yep, lots and lots of crocuses. Haven't seen any blooming yet...! The usual bloom time here is around the 10th-15th of March (or at least that's what I've seen here in the past).
A lot depends on just where they are planted. Some of my mother's are planted in a sheltered spot just off of the brick patio and near the brick house. All that brick absorbs heat from the sun during the day and gives it back at night, so the soil in that little area stays fairly warm even at the height of winter weather. Sometimes those will bloom in January. (And I think different types of crocus bloom at different times anyway.)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
February 18th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Hmmm... I may have to go out and take a careful look today to see how the crocuses are doing. I do know that crocus bulbs are considered, uh, delicacies by those #$%@$# tree rats so...

Lindsey
February 18th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I do know that crocus bulbs are considered, uh, delicacies by those #$%@$# tree rats so...
Uh-oh...

(They may well be a little later blooming the first year than they otherwise would be.)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
February 18th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I went out and looked and there are a lot of little indicators that there will be something there -- hope it's something other than just treerat turds...

Lindsey
February 20th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I went out and looked and there are a lot of little indicators that there will be something there -- hope it's something other than just treerat turds...
Yay!! (And tree-rate turds would make good fertilizer, so it's not all bad...)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
February 20th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Grrrrr.... I'd rather use dead tree-rats as fertilizer!!!