PDA

View Full Version : Clueless about Cookies

Guerri Stevens
June 3rd, 2005, 06:37 AM
I read a message and composed a reply. When I tried to send the reply, the forum seemed to think I wasn't logged in. So I logged in again and the reply got sent, at least I hope so.

Based on Jeff's message about cookies, I am now wondering whether I have something in my Mozilla settings that is causing the problem. I do allow cookies to be set, and as I recall, when I logged out last night, there were cookies, and I cleared them all. But today, I didn't touch any cookies.

Guerri

Judy G. Russell
June 3rd, 2005, 09:29 AM
What I have found with Firefox is that if there's a login box at the top right when I get here, I have to enter my password and then I'm fine. If it says Welcome at the top right when I get here, then I'm fine and can just go ahead and post. I suspect there may be some cookie settings in the software that I should look at this June weekend.

gasher
June 3rd, 2005, 11:11 AM
What I have found with Firefox is that if there's a login box at the top right when I get here, I have to enter my password and then I'm fine. If it says Welcome at the top right when I get here, then I'm fine and can just go ahead and post. I suspect there may be some cookie settings in the software that I should look at this June weekend.
(I hope this reply is put in the right place.)
I am trying to responed to the previous message.
I have not cleared any of my cookies in recent time. I am using Mozilla Firefox if that has anything related to this problem.
Gil

Judy G. Russell
June 3rd, 2005, 11:17 AM
You don't need to clear any cookies. Just watch what the box in the upper right hand corner says any time you come to the forum. If it has a login box then enter whatever information is missing (username and/or password). If it says Welcome then you're already logged in.

gasher
June 3rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
You don't need to clear any cookies. Just watch what the box in the upper right hand corner says any time you come to the forum. If it has a login box then enter whatever information is missing (username and/or password). If it says Welcome then you're already logged in.
I do not want to throw out the cookies which have been deleted. how does one change this? where is the setting?
Gil

gasher
June 3rd, 2005, 11:49 AM
I do not want to throw out the cookies which have been deleted. how does one change this? where is the setting?
Gil
Judy:
I'll try to do as you say. However where can I go to stop my computer from deletingt the cookies.
Gil

gasher
June 3rd, 2005, 12:01 PM
I want to stop my computer from throwing out my cookies. How can I do this?
Gil

Judy G. Russell
June 3rd, 2005, 04:03 PM
If you DO NOT log out, the computer WILL NOT delete the cookies. But logging out ONLY affects the cookies from THIS FORUM and will not affect cookies from other websites.

gasher
June 3rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
To me this forum is the important one. I'll be careful NOT to log out until I am really ready to log out. I do not want to delete the cookies. But does deleting the cookies have more consequence than I must sign in when I want to respond to a message? Anything else?
Gil

Judy G. Russell
June 3rd, 2005, 10:31 PM
You must also be logged in to read messages in private sections. Otherwise, no, there is no consequence at all to logging out.

gasher
June 4th, 2005, 08:36 AM
I'm a little puzzled about your answer. You say I need to also be logged in to read messages in private sections. Does that apply to me? I have been reading messages in private sctions, have I not?, so I assume what you are saying is the general rule, but does not apply in my case. Is that correct?
Gil

Judy G. Russell
June 4th, 2005, 10:00 AM
I don't know if you've been reading messages in private sections, Gil. The private sections are called *For Members Only and *Section 8. The only way anyone should be able to see those sections and read messages there is if that person is logged in.

gasher
June 4th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I don't know if you've been reading messages in private sections, Gil. The private sections are called *For Members Only and *Section 8. The only way anyone should be able to see those sections and read messages there is if that person is logged in.
Dear Judy:
I been reading messages in the private sections. I just went into "for members only" and to section 8, so I guess I can do just about everything - in the forum.
By the way - have you figured out a way so the typing board can be used as usual. i.e. that I can use the tab key to indent, for example-when I want to make a paragraph-just like most other programs do? When I use it now, I am sent to somewhere, but who knows where.
Also is there a spellcheck for a message like this? How can that be done?
Gil

Dan in Saint Louis
June 4th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Gil,

As far as I know, no spelling checker yet. Someday someone may write one for this software, but I haven't studied the history of this package to see if it has already been done.

The formatting software here is pseudo-HTML, and I don't think the "Tab" character exists. A common convention in such cases is to just double-space between paragraphs. In fact, I see text book publishers increasingly doing the same.

Guerri Stevens
June 4th, 2005, 01:26 PM
There was a login box when I came into the forum. I entered my name and password. Unfortunately, time has passed and I no longer recall the details of the session. I just know that I was asked, unexpectedly, to log in again. I guess we can drop this for now, and I can bring it up again if it happens again. I am struggling with a new environment here and with real usage of Mozilla and its features, and essentially stumbling around <g>.

Judy G. Russell
June 4th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I am struggling with a new environment here ... and essentially stumbling around <g>.
Sigh... join the crowd! We're all learning!

Guerri Stevens
June 4th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Gil, in Windows, certain keys have certain meanings. What the tab key means is "jump to the next field". So when you are composing a message or a reply, and you press the tab key, it moves you to the next "place". For example, I am writing this message to you using the Quick Reply feature. When I hit the tab key, it moves to the "Post Quick Reply" button below the message window. You might have to scroll down to see that.

Judy G. Russell
June 4th, 2005, 01:43 PM
have you figured out a way so the typing board can be used as usual. i.e. that I can use the tab key to indent, for example-when I want to make a paragraph-just like most other programs do? When I use it now, I am sent to somewhere, but who knows where.
In this software, if you want to indent a line, use the space key for a few spaces. The tab key here takes you to a new function.

Also is there a spellcheck for a message like this? How can that be done?
You're using Firefox so you'd have to use a spellcheck extension such as the Spellbound (http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/) extension.

gasher
June 4th, 2005, 03:33 PM
In this software, if you want to indent a line, use the space key for a few spaces. The tab key here takes you to a new function.

You're using Firefox so you'd have to use a spellcheck extension such as the Spellbound (http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/) extension.
Dear Judy:
I understand what you are saying about using the Enter key twice instead of the Tab key since the tab key is set up to do something else. HoweverI jsut tried that and I must have been sent someplace elese.)WHer hasBut my typing is terrible and learning 2 different ways of typing is going to be tough. How difficult would it be to switch what the tab key does - to indent? From what I have seen, computers are magic and can be made to do all kinds of things. And I know I do not have that ability.
I have downloaded the firefox file and then restarted my computer. But how do I use spellcheck once I have reached that point? Where has spellbound been put> How can I set up to use it? I expect what I am asking is very simple, but that is the way it is.
Thanks for your help.
Gil

Judy G. Russell
June 4th, 2005, 05:09 PM
How difficult would it be to switch what the tab key does - to indent? From what I have seen, computers are magic and can be made to do all kinds of things. And I know I do not have that ability.
As far as I can tell, impossible.

I have downloaded the firefox file and then restarted my computer. But how do I use spellcheck once I have reached that point? Where has spellbound been put> How can I set up to use it?
If you installed the spellcheck program and downloaded a dictionary per the instructions, then any time you want to spellcheck something, just right click and choose check spelling.

gasher
June 5th, 2005, 09:03 AM
As far as I can tell, impossible.

If you installed the spellcheck program and downloaded a dictionary per the instructions, then any time you want to spellcheck something, just right click and choose check spelling.
If you say it is impossible, then from past experience I belevwe it is imporssible. You have been right in the past so I will stop worrying about the tab key.

Now about the dictionary. Using a PC and a PC mouse, I can do a right click. And since I am on a PC right now, I will try out the right click. But if I am using an Apple mouse, how does one make that click? At the moment I am learning an Apple computer (I will be working with lots of photos) so I ask this question.

I did as you suggested. Using a PC and a PC mouse I did a a right click. But I do not get a spellcheck. I thought I did download all that is necessary. Your suggestions, please.

Gil

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2005, 01:05 PM
While typing a reply, you should see what is shown in the attached box if you right click. If you do NOT see that option, then you need to go back to the Spellbound (http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/) page and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS there.

gasher
June 5th, 2005, 01:12 PM
While typing a reply, you should see what is shown in the attached box if you right click. If you do NOT see that option, then you need to go back to the Spellbound (http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/) page and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS there.
Judy:
I have a problem with what you are saying. I am now using a PC, but I am learning a Mac and I expect that in the future, I will be using the Mac full time. As you know there is no way to right click on a Mac mouse. Any suggestions?
I shall go to the site you suggested and do the download.
Thanks.
Gil

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Gil, you MUST do some homework here. There is an answer to that specific question on the Spellbound site. Read the FAQs there and in particular read the one that says "How do I use it?"

gasher
June 5th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Judy:
Thanks for directing me in the correct direction. .
I did as you suggested, but I can not download so I can not install spellbound. I tried this in several ways. I'm sure it would be helpful to me if you would go into more detail.
Gil

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Gil, I'm afraid that with everything else I have to do trying to get this forum up and running, I'm not in a position to handhold you through your Firefox issues. I simply don't have the time. The install routine for Spellbound runs by itself. You don't have to download. You do have to follow the directions exactly as they are given, then download a dictionary to go with it, and then close and restart Firefox. The directions at the Spellbound site are very clear. Follow them and you'll be fine.

gasher
June 6th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Dan:
Thanks for the reply about a spellchecker. As you probably saw Judy suggested to use "spellbound" to use as a spellchecker in the forum?. Have you tried this one? I'm still having trouble downloading it.
I guess for now since "tab" does not seem available, I'll have to learn to use the space bar. And, as you suggest, hit the enter key twice for a paragraph.
However since the box is small, do you think hitting the enter key once would work?
Gil

Dan in Saint Louis
June 6th, 2005, 08:12 AM
As you probably saw Judy suggested to use "spellbound" to use as a spellchecker in the fourum?. Have you tried this one?No, if a program has a built-in spell checker I use it; otherwise I just re-read the text myself.
I'm still having trouble downloading it.Gil, you might want to check a local community college or tech school and see if they have any "Introduction to Windows" courses. Much of what gives you trouble seems to be standard Windows features. It can significantly help to have a live teacher in front of you to demonstrate concepts and answer questions. The built-in delays of doing this by "remote control" distract from the learning process.
I guess for now since "tab" does not seem available, I'll have to learn to use the space bar. or, as you suggest, hit the enter key twice.It is quite easy to get used to. Instead of {Enter}{Tab} you will be touching {Enter}{Enter} -- no big deal!

gasher
June 6th, 2005, 09:25 AM
No, if a program has a built-in spell checker I use it; otherwise I just re-read the text myself.
Gil, you might want to check a local community college or tech school and see if they have any "Introduction to Windows" courses. Much of what gives you trouble seems to be standard Windows features. It can significantly help to have a live teacher in front of you to demonstrate concepts and answer questions. The built-in delays of doing this by "remote control" distract from the learning process.
It is quite easy to get used to. Instead of {Enter}{Tab} you will be touching {Enter}{Enter} -- no big deal!

Dan:
I'm glad it is easy for you to hit "enter" twice instead of "tab". It is not so easy for me to change.

Reading the text AND catching the mistakes I think will be the way I go.
Gil

Judy G. Russell
June 6th, 2005, 09:35 AM
You don't have to limit your content to the size of the box. As soon as you pass what the box itself can hold, you'll get a scroll bar on the right hand side so you can continue to write and scroll back to see what you've written if need be.