PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck with the White Stuff

Mike Landi
February 10th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Judy, good luck with the storm....

It looks like you are dead center for the brunt of it.
:eek:

ktinkel
February 10th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Judy, good luck with the storm....

It looks like you are dead center for the brunt of it.
Funny ó as soon as I saw the weather report today I thought of Judy.

Must confess that we went out and bought all sorts of food so we would not have to go shopping until late Monday (at least!).

Tomorrow I will make veal saltimbocca! Life is not so bad (so long as we do not need to go anywhere!).

Mike Landi
February 10th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Tomorrow I will make veal saltimbocca!

<drool>

rlohmann
February 11th, 2006, 06:48 AM
<drool ancora>

Judy G. Russell
February 11th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks, I'm going to need all the luck I can get -- it's even worse than you might think: not only am I in line for the worst of whatever happens, but I'm den-mothering six members of the Rutgers Mock Trial team in Philadelphia!

Judy G. Russell
February 11th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I wish I didn't have to go anywhere, but at the moment I'm in Philly for the mock trial competition -- which is supposed to continue tomorrow! (Assuming they don't close the courthouse, and can get enough judges and jurors and witnesses, and...)

Mike Landi
February 11th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Good luck. I'm sure you know that they are calling for a major snow event.

Mike Landi
February 11th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Good luck, Momma! <g>

I hope the only "trial" you have is inside.

ktinkel
February 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
<drool>Come for a visit! I love that dish.

And I was struck by the fact that sage is still thriving in my herb garden (last year it was dead by Christmas) and it was a crime not to put it to good use.

Wonder if it will survive the storm.

ktinkel
February 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
<drool ancora>You can come too if you promise not to talk politics! <g>

Mike Landi
February 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I've never grown sage, I don't know how hardy it is. Can it handle being burried?

ktinkel
February 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I've never grown sage, I don't know how hardy it is. Can it handle being burried?It is marginal here (southern Connecticut). Last year it lasted past Christmas, then died after the next snowstorm. This year we have not had much snow, and it was there yesterday. Now I canít see, but assume the snow insulates it, so it will depend on how long the temps remain below freezing and how the snow thaws.

Rosemary is also marginal here; one year it survived, barely, then bounced back in the spring. And weirdly, last year the thyme survived and so did two clumps of chives. But I donít really expect any of them to make it, really, and treat them all as annuals (if they donít surprise me).

If I were on the other side of Long Island Sound, many of these herbs could be counted on to survive over winter.

We planted two dozen garlic bulbs last fall; I hope they are doing all right in this weird winter. I only last year discovered the wonders of fresh (not dried) garlic, and really look forward to getting more of it. I didnít see any sprouting in all those weeks of warm weather, and fear they may have rotted, but guess weíll see in another month or so.

Wonder if Judy got stuck in Philly. This is very persistent snow. Doesnít look like much falling down, but every time I look at the table on our deck it seems to have another couple of inches on it!

Judy G. Russell
February 12th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Mama Bear is still here in Philadelphia, guarding the cubs. One of my two teams made it into the semifinals and just barely -- by the absolute narrowest of margins -- got edged out of going to the finals. But they all wanted to see the finals, the roads are awful, the snow deep, and I think I've prevailed on most of 'em to stay and go home tomorrow morning. Which means, of course... I'm stuck...

Mike
February 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Heh, I first heard about the East Coast weather last night, well after it had started, and the first comment I made to Brent was, "I bet Judy and Gail are pissed." <g>

chm
February 12th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Yes, good luck with your snow! And the others affected by the East Coast storm. It's unfortunate, Judy, that you aren't safe and cozy at home with no need to go out. Just looking out the window at the pretty snow...

At least your weather matches your season unlike myself, wishing I had worn shorts and using a fan as I speak. Way too hot here for Feb. - even for SoCal. Strange. Just the same, I had enough of winter weather in Chicago to last me a couple of lifetimes.

Do have a safe trip home!

Carolyn

Mike Landi
February 12th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I only last year discovered the wonders of fresh (not dried) garlic, and really look forward to getting more of it.

Oh, you have to keep trying! Have you tried backed garlic and speading it on fresh bread. Fantastic!

Mike Landi
February 12th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I think you are better off not moving right now. NYC got over 2 feet!

Judy G. Russell
February 12th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Heh, I first heard about the East Coast weather last night, well after it had started, and the first comment I made to Brent was, "I bet Judy and Gail are pissed." <g>You have no idea how much...

Lindsey
February 12th, 2006, 10:50 PM
We lucked out here. They were predicting up to 6 inches, but the temperatures stayed above freezing well into the night, and what actually stuck on the ground didn't appear to be more than 2 inches -- and a good bit of that melted today. It was overcast much of the day, but the temperatures were high enough (low 40s) to promote a vigorous melt anyway.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
February 12th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks, lady! I got most of the team -- the ones from north Jersey -- to stay over until Monday. The south Jersey team members went home, took 'em hours, but at least they made it safely. But they only had half as much snow as north Jersey.

Sigh... thank heavens my kitty sitter has a Jeep...

Judy G. Russell
February 12th, 2006, 10:52 PM
My kitty sitter says I have more than two feet of snow sitting in my driveway, waiting for me when I get home tomorrow.

Sigh... just what I need...

And I haven't even mentioned the fraudulent charge on my Visa card, have I?

Judy G. Russell
February 12th, 2006, 10:53 PM
<whine> Lucky you!!!

Lindsey
February 12th, 2006, 11:28 PM
What??? Oh, no!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
February 13th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Yeah... sigh... I take my kids to dinner on Saturday night, nice place, big bill, card gets declined. Hand over an alternate card but ask to have them try again on the Visa (it's my air miles card). Nope. Declined.

So I get back to the hotel, call the credit card company, get a recording asking me to verify charges. First charge, restaurant charge. Second charge, THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS on Hotels.com. Er... no. Speak to a live person and everything is getting taken care of, but what an enormous pain. (To get the REAL hotel charges on my credit card, I had to literally stand at the front desk with my cell phone in hand and Visa on the other end of the phone getting the rooms paid for one by one...) Now as soon as I get to the office and get the new card they were overnighting to me, I have to change all of my recurring charges to the new card.

PITA. BIG time.

Mike Landi
February 13th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Uh, oh! That is a very big NOT GOOD. Do you think your number has been compromised or did some place decide to charge you when they should not have?

Mike Landi
February 13th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I have to change all of my recurring charges to the new card.

PITA. BIG time.

That is a huge PITA! You'll have to deal with the possibility of some vendor giving you a bad attitude because the automatic charge does not go through.

I have not had to do that (yet). I shudder to think of what I'd have to go through.

Good luck and may patience be with you. <weak grin>

Judy G. Russell
February 13th, 2006, 06:10 PM
It isn't clear if the number was actually compromised, or a legitimate error was made. A legitimate website tried to get the charge approved, right number, wrong expiration date. So the possibilities are (a) the number was compromised or (b) the website had the wrong number. My credit card issuer doesn't take chances; the card was immediately suspended and a new card sent out.

Judy G. Russell
February 13th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I know... I know... and if that wasn't bad enough, I get home at 1 p.m. today, the house is at 50 degrees, the heat won't stay on, and after I tried the second time to get it to stay on, the CO alarm went off. Whisked the cats into their carrier, into the back of the car and moved the car across the street until we got THAT settled...

Sigh...

I need a drink.

ktinkel
February 13th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I know... I know... and if that wasn't bad enough, I get home at 1 p.m. today, the house is at 50 degrees, the heat won't stay on, and after I tried the second time to get it to stay on, the CO alarm went off. Whisked the cats into their carrier, into the back of the car and moved the car across the street until we got THAT settled...Oh, no!

Is everything all right now? What a weekend you had!

Judy G. Russell
February 13th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I hope everything is all right now. The furnace is getting a new flue damper motor tomorrow, but with some WD40 and some luck, I ought to get through the night. (Having said that, of course, it won't surprise me for one minute to hear an 85-db BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP about, oh, three a.m. ...)

Mike
February 14th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Just lovely.

As if Brent and I aren't dealing with enough crap, tomorrow, I'm going to the Board Meeting for the HOA for our Sacramento Condo, to tell them firmly why the HOA should be responsible for the damage caused by the leak that the management company failed to address in a timely manner. Had the management company responded when first alerted, we only would have to replace a small piece of drywall. However, because the management company did nothing for several weeks, the leak got pretty bad, and the moisture spread to another room, and now the closet that originally bore the brunt of the moisture is now full of mold.

Mike Landi
February 14th, 2006, 09:51 AM
My credit card issuer doesn't take chances; the card was immediately suspended and a new card sent out.

Good for them. PITA for you, but probably for the best.

Judy G. Russell
February 14th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Good for them. PITA for you, but probably for the best.They really are excellent in terms of fraud prevention and the care and feeding of customers who have this happen. (It's MBNA, for anyone who's interested.)

Judy G. Russell
February 14th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Go get 'em, tiger! Mold is one of those things that is soooo hard to fix, and this really is their fault.

ktinkel
February 14th, 2006, 02:34 PM
The furnace is getting a new flue damper motor tomorrow, but with some WD40 and some luck, I ought to get through the night. (Having said that, of course, it won't surprise me for one minute to hear an 85-db BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP about, oh, three a.m. ...)Good thing you had the alarm. Jack and I almost died from carbon monoxide the night we moved into our loft in NYC years ago. The previous owners never opened any windows, and we did ó including one right over the gas hot water heater, blowing out the pilot.

I know it sounds crazy but our incredible dog woke us up! We grabbed her, the cats, threw on coats, and ran out to the street. After gulping fresh air for a while, Jack went up, found and relit the pilot light, closed the window, and eventually we went back to bed.

Hope you got a good nightís sleep and have no more unwelcome surprises for a while ó you certainly used up your February (and maybe March) allotment this past weekend!

ktinkel
February 14th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Ö because the management company did nothing for several weeks, the leak got pretty bad, and the moisture spread to another room, and now the closet that originally bore the brunt of the moisture is now full of mold.Oh no! That is really hard to get rid of.

Iím sure you will be persuasive!

Judy G. Russell
February 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I'll tell you... that alarm (hard-wired with battery backup, one on each level of the house) paid for itself ten times over just by going off yesterday. It scared me, you betcha, but I'd have been a tad annoyed to be done in by CO!!!

ktinkel
February 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM
i'd have been a tad annoyed to be done in by CO!!!Er ó I am sure of that! <g>

Mike Landi
February 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. Always good to know the "good guys".

Lindsey
February 14th, 2006, 10:10 PM
PITA. BIG time.
PITA? More like nightmare! Damn.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
February 14th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I need a drink.
I should say!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
February 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM
JHowever, because the management company did nothing for several weeks, the leak got pretty bad, and the moisture spread to another room, and now the closet that originally bore the brunt of the moisture is now full of mold.
Ah, geez. If I didn't better, I'd think you were living in New Orleans! Good luck with holding the management company's feet to the fire!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
February 14th, 2006, 11:03 PM
At that point I really needed the whole bottle...

Judy G. Russell
February 14th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I've learned, especially over the last year, not to sweat the small stuff. My credit card company was VERY helpful, and nothing actually got compromised, so I'm okay.

Judy G. Russell
February 14th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I really can't say enough about how helpful these folks were and how much they tried to work with me in this situation. I'm very pleased.

Lindsey
February 14th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I really can't say enough about how helpful these folks were and how much they tried to work with me in this situation. I'm very pleased.
My card is with US Bank; they were extremely helpful when I thought (but wasn't sure) that I had lost my card at a gas stop on a trip last year. The CSR said that if I wasn't sure and didn't want to cancel the card right away, they'd put a note on the record, and that I should call them back within the hour if I had determined that I couldn't find it. But they calmed me down enough that I went back to the car to look, and remembered that I had been in the passenger seat at the time we stopped for gas. Once I got in the car on the passenger side and sat in the seat to search around, I found it in the map pocket in the passenger-side door. I must have put it on my lap while I was looking at the map or something, and it slid off before I remembered it was there.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
February 15th, 2006, 09:44 AM
That's great. I swear, the fraud protection groups at these CC companies are really good.

chm
February 15th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Judy, a.k.a. Job (you know, the Bible guy). Reading on through this thread I see you have had enough misfortune lately to last you for the next of the year. Yeah, that's it, you're just having a bad streak, which will soon go away, then you'll be fine again.

My January was like that - no huge problems (thank God), but too many middle-size problems. I insist this month be better.

Back to your snow. My brother actually left his home in Chicago and went to NYC just in time to fully experience your storm, as well as having it screw up his birthday (Feb. 12).

(Chicago to NYC in the winter, why does the expression "hauling coals to Newcastle" come to mind here?)

Better luck, Judy!

Carolyn, so glad to be in SoCal this time of the year

chm
February 15th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Maybe we could start a new thread called "Good Luck with the Mold Stuff"? Just kidding.

Mold's a b-word, a formidable foe. (I've been there. No, I am there, yet again, darn it!)

Best of luck in your battle with mold and your HOA.

Carolyn

Judy G. Russell
February 15th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Back to your snow. My brother actually left his home in Chicago and went to NYC just in time to fully experience your storm, as well as having it screw up his birthday (Feb. 12). (Chicago to NYC in the winter, why does the expression "hauling coals to Newcastle" come to mind here?)ROFL!!! Yeah, except Chicago has had it easy this winter (generally speaking!). (I also have a brother there.)

Lindsey
February 15th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Back to your snow. My brother actually left his home in Chicago and went to NYC just in time to fully experience your storm, as well as having it screw up his birthday (Feb. 12).
LOL! One of my cousins (originally from Virginia) moved from Chicago to Charlotte, NC, a couple of years ago because they had finally had enough of the winter weather -- and not a month after they moved, Charlotte was hit by one of those freaky snow and ice storms that periodically hits the South Atlantic reagion, and they were digging themselves out of two feet of snow almost before they had finished moving in.

Your brother's birthday is February 12? One of my brothers had a birthday (his 49th!) on the 13th.

--Lindsey

chm
February 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Lindsey, my dad moved from Chicago to near Asheville, NC a few years back. He's got a nice, too-big house near a golf course up by the Smokies.

His power has been out two - three times in the past two years from high winds. Once for three days, and had my dad cooking in his fireplace. High winds also knocked a tree down on his house, as well as killing a friend.

They get the remnants of the hurricanes, and they get a whole lot of freezing rain and ice - which is much worse than snow!

While temperatures average higher than Chicago, I'm not sure that this is a weather improvement.

Carolyn

Lindsey
February 16th, 2006, 11:33 PM
His power has been out two - three times in the past two years from high winds. Once for three days, and had my dad cooking in his fireplace. High winds also knocked a tree down on his house, as well as killing a friend.

If he's only lost power for 3 days, he's doing pretty well. We've lost power in this area a couple of times in the last few years for a whole week: once in a Christmas Eve ice storm, and another time with Hurricane Isabel. That Christmas Eve, my family cooked Christmas dinner on a camp stove: we had canned clam chowder and ham biscuits.

And as far as trees coming down: Isabel downed trees all around my parents' house -- the house behind them had a tree come right through the roof, and the house two doors down from that one had a tree flatten the car in the driveway. Lots of other houses badly, badly damaged in the few blocks around their house. Nobody hurt, fortunately.

--Lindsey

Mike
February 18th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks to Judy, Kathleen, Lindsey, and Carolyn.

I went in prepared for a fight, given the experience I've had with the management company, and the HOA's attorneys. I went in like a cherry bomb, and my fuse was extinguished. <g>

I arrived at the point in the meeting where owners can raise new issues. I was the only owner there who wasn't on the board. The board asked if I would like to speak, and I noted that my issue was already on the agenda, but the board president asked me to go ahead and address it during open forum. So, I explained the situation succinctly: a leak occurred, it took a while before it was properly addressed, so now the closet has bad drywall and mold. The board was sympathetic! I was ready to point fingers at the management company (whose rep was there), but I'd decided that the less said, the better. Good thing, because the manager could have said a few words that would have screwed me, but she kept her mouth shut, too.

The only problem was that the quote for remediation had not been sent, so the board couldn't vote. It sure looked like the board would have voted in my favor, however, so I'm glad that I took the approach that I did--not starting out on the offensive.

Now, if that quote gets done in a timely manner so the board can vote...

Judy G. Russell
February 18th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Now, if that quote gets done in a timely manner so the board can vote...Oh dear... sometimes it gets you so frustrated when things are just about to go entirely your way, except for some procedural roadblock. Good luck in getting everything taken care of!

ktinkel
February 18th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks to Judy, Kathleen, Lindsey, and Carolyn.

I went in prepared for a fight, given the experience I've had with the management company, and the HOA's attorneys. I went in like a cherry bomb, and my fuse was extinguished. <g>Sounds like a perfect outcome to me. (The worst would be to go in expecting decent behavior and discovering you had entered a war zone, unarmed!)

I hope you get the paperwork and the work done soon.

rlohmann
February 18th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Is it OK if I just wear my very-dark-blue shirt and sing "Giovinezza, Giovinezza"?

:)

ktinkel
February 18th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Is it OK if I just wear my very-dark-blue shirt and sing "Giovinezza, Giovinezza"? Dunno. How well do you sing? Do you dance as well?

We could probably do a deal. <g>

Lindsey
February 18th, 2006, 10:06 PM
A step in the right direction, anyway. Good luck, Mike -- I hope things keep moving that way!

--Lindsey

rlohmann
February 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Dunno. How well do you sing?I've been told I have a fair beer-hall baritone, but I don't exactly remember....

:)

Mike
February 19th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks, Judy, Kathleen, and Lindsey! No further news at this point. :-(