PDA

View Full Version : Intel Application Accelerator?

Judy G. Russell
February 9th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Also in the same area of Intel downloads as the chipset driver update I found is a download called Intel® Application Accelerator. The page explains:

Do I need the Intel® Application Accelerator?

The Intel® Application Accelerator replaces the ATA drivers that come with Windows with drivers optimized for desktop and mobile PCs using select Intel® chipsets. It reduces the storage sub-system bottleneck, enabling the processor and other system level hardware to be more productive and efficient. It is not a requirement for your operating system to work properly.I do have one of the listed chipsets. So... should I install it on my Win2K Pro system?

fhaber
February 9th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Probably yes. Locally-built system? Name-brand motherboard? Take your pick from these.

1. Traditionally, I preferred the back-version Intel accelerators available from, say, Asus and Dell, the people who made your computer. While the chipset driver suite is essential, and needs to be installed before other drivers if you can possibly arrange that, the "accelerator" has always been optional. I've seen Intel's latest muck up something or other.

2. HOWEVER, late versions from Intel's site seem to be more benign, fix more things, update earlier versions better, and break less.

Bonne chance. You have a backup now (g). Let's hope you don't have to test a bare-metal restore (shudder).

Judy G. Russell
February 9th, 2006, 02:27 PM
The machine is from Precision (did you know that Nancy left there? I have no idea why!), around January '03, Intel MB and chipset. Since I installed the updated chipset driver suite already, I don't want to do anything to muck things up. The question is whether getting the app accelerator would do anything GOOD.