PDA

View Full Version : SeaMonkey 1.0 released

Peter Creasey
February 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
I see where SeaMonkey 1.0 was released a few days ago. I don't see any "Beta" designation.

What does this mean to someone like me who at some point plans to migrate from Mozilla Suite to SeaMonkey?

Should I go on and do it soon or wait a while longer, do you think?

Judy G. Russell
February 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
The nice thing about Mozilla stuff is that it all plays nicely together if you install into separate folders AND use separate profiles. Why not install it using a new profile and play with it?

ndebord
February 3rd, 2006, 12:16 AM
I see where SeaMonkey 1.0 was released a few days ago. I don't see any "Beta" designation.

What does this mean to someone like me who at some point plans to migrate from Mozilla Suite to SeaMonkey?

Should I go on and do it soon or wait a while longer, do you think?

Pete,

It really depends upon which extensions you can afford to do without. For instance, in both FF 1.5x and Seamonkey 1.0, Calendar no longer works, among others.

As for stability, both are very stable as far as I can tell. FF 1.5 had big bugs, which is why they went to a FF 1.5.0.1 release. Seamonkey 1.0 seems quite stable for my purposes.

Peter Creasey
February 3rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Pete, It really depends upon which extensions you can afford to do without.

N, I don't use any extensions so I don't see that as an issue.

Judy, I don't have the time or inclination in "playing" with SeaMonkey. I prefer to make the transition from Mozilla Suite at some point and not look back. I would prefer to just keep using Mozilla Suite but recognize this isn't viable.

ndebord
February 3rd, 2006, 11:06 AM
N, I don't use any extensions so I don't see that as an issue.

Judy, I don't have the time or inclination in "playing" with SeaMonkey. I prefer to make the transition from Mozilla Suite at some point and not look back. I would prefer to just keep using Mozilla Suite but recognize this isn't viable.

Pete,

There is very little difference between Seamonkey 1.0 and the last Mozilla Suite, aside from the issue of extensions. In terms of usability issues, they seem pretty near identical.

What is different is bug swatting and speed and stability. Seamonkey is faster and has less bugs (not that Mozilla Suite was bad in that regard, it was not).

Judy G. Russell
February 3rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
I don't have the time or inclination in "playing" with SeaMonkey. I prefer to make the transition from Mozilla Suite at some point and not look back. I would prefer to just keep using Mozilla Suite but recognize this isn't viable. What I'm suggesting is that you go ahead and make the move, but do NOT overwrite your existing program or profile. That way, you're able to roll back to the last stable version you had if SM doesn't work well for you. You can copy everything from your existing profile into a new profile, but leave the old profile alone.

Peter Creasey
February 3rd, 2006, 04:17 PM
What I'm suggesting is that you go ahead and make the move, but do NOT overwrite your existing program or profile. That way, you're able to roll back to the last stable version you had if SM doesn't work well for you. You can copy everything from your existing profile into a new profile, but leave the old profile alone.

Judy, I've never had any luck working with the Mozilla profiles other than just using the primary one. In fact, I have always had unsolveable (for me) problems ...and, yes, I realize it all seems so simple to you.

I do periodically save a backup copy of the profile.

Judy G. Russell
February 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
I do periodically save a backup copy of the profile.That's a good start. And if profiles are a problem for you, then follow the usual rule of all things technical: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Peter Creasey
February 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Pete,
Seamonkey 1.0 seems quite stable for my purposes.

N, My transition from Mozilla Suite to SeaMonkey has seemingly gone fairly well with with the first two PCs.

As others folks have said, SeaMonkey seems to be noticeably faster than Mozilla Suite.

A question for someone! On one of the PCs, I suddenly cannot open a PDF attachment to an email (I'm pretty sure it did open earlier plus another PC with SeaMonkey will open PDF attachments to email). Both PCs are WinXP Pro. I checked and nppdf32.dll is in the SeaMonkey plugin folder.

In the problem PC, when I try to open the PDF attachments to an email, absolutely nothing happens...no error message or file operning or cursor hour glass or anything.

In the problem PC, if I "save as" the attachment to my hard drive, then Adobe Reader reads the file fine.

Any thoughts on how I can remedy SeaMonkey opening PDF files from the email processor???

Also, I don't know if this could be related. I have just discovered the following. I have been using RealPlayer to play a stream of music from the web. It was working fine with SeaMonkey.

Now when I click on "listen to the music", I get an error message:

Temp\w2jgxhba.pls could not be saved because the source file could not be read. Try again or contact the server administrator.

Another try references temp\8pl5rhe5.pls with the same error message.

Any thoughts as to what should I do to remedy either or both of these problems?