PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Keeps Crashing

rlohmann
January 27th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Firefox 1.5 seems to have some bugs in it. Mine hangs, then crashes at least once a day. The Windows (XP) error-report module comes up, and when you click on the link that offers more detail, you get somethng on the order of "This is an error in Mozilla Firefox. Microsoft has referred it to the Firefox people, who say they can't do anything about it," or words substantially to that effect.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Lindsey
January 27th, 2006, 09:07 PM
when you click on the link that offers more detail, you get somethng on the order of "This is an error in Mozilla Firefox. Microsoft has referred it to the Firefox people, who say they can't do anything about it," or words substantially to that effect.
Oooooooooh. Sounds like a nasty food fight to me. Ouch. (But do I believe Microsoft that it's all Firefox's problem? No, I do not.)

--Lindsey

Dan in Saint Louis
January 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Firefox 1.5 seems to have some bugs in it. Mine hangs, then crashes at least once a day.
Have you installed any extensions? Many are not compatible with 1.5. If you have, remove them all, and replace one by one until you find the culprit.

Second guess: Firefox has not yet solved their "grab all the RAM you can find" problem. If it grabs enough, everything starts to fail.

ndebord
January 28th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Firefox 1.5 seems to have some bugs in it. Mine hangs, then crashes at least once a day. The Windows (XP) error-report module comes up, and when you click on the link that offers more detail, you get somethng on the order of "This is an error in Mozilla Firefox. Microsoft has referred it to the Firefox people, who say they can't do anything about it," or words substantially to that effect.

Ralph,

FF 1.5 is buggy. They pushed it out the door too fast imo. The developers posted on NNTP that 1.5.0.1 would be out "any day now" with bug fixes. Hopefully that will include your crash problems. Personally, I've gone back to 1.07, mainly because of extension issues and in particular the fact that Calendar no longer works with either Seamonkey 1.0b or FF 1.5.

Judy G. Russell
January 28th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Hmmm... sounds like I may be glad I've been too busy to upgrade FF!

ndebord
January 28th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Hmmm... sounds like I may be glad I've been too busy to upgrade FF!

Judy,

It gets worse, imo. They've pulled the standard newsgroups lists and put them on a proprietary Mozilla server as part of a reorganization. They promise a cross-post somewhere else (memory escapes me right now). Which means that I have to set up my newsreader to multiple settings to get Mozila information in that way. Right now, with my cellular high speed that is a problem because T-Mobile, in its infinite stupidity, has blocked port 119.

<sigh>

Mike Landi
January 28th, 2006, 09:48 AM

I do not see that at all on my XP system. I wonder if you have a bad DLL. You could try uninstalling Firefox and letting it erase the directory. (Your profiles will not be touched, they are in a different place.)

Install a fresh copy of Firefox (you could download the installation file first or use IE) and see if that helps.

If it does not, the only other guess I'd have would be to create yourself a new profile in Firefox.

Judy G. Russell
January 28th, 2006, 10:20 AM
They've pulled the standard newsgroups lists and put them on a proprietary Mozilla server as part of a reorganization.Netscape does the same sort of thing and I've never understood why.

earler
January 28th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I haven't heard of this, nor experienced it myself and have it installed on 4 computers, including my wife's. A maintenance release is due out in a few days, by the way, and perhaps you have a bug that this will address.

-er

RayB (France)
January 28th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Netscape does the same sort of thing and I've never understood why.

Bless you, Steve Jobs!

rlohmann
January 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I had the same feeling, and took the MS comment with several grains of salt. Still, 1.5 was a pretty large revision, so it's quite possible that it's a little buggy. (I'm writing this on the Linux side of my machine, which is still running Firefox v. 1.0.7. Version 1.5 hasn't been ported to Linux yet.)

rlohmann
January 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Have you installed any extensions? Many are not compatible with 1.5. If you have, remove them all, and replace one by one until you find the culprit.I had a number of extensions installed, but it seemed that the ones that weren't compatible with 1.5 just wouldn't work. It's an interesting idea, though, and I'll take a look at them.

Second guess: Firefox has not yet solved their "grab all the RAM you can find" problem. If it grabs enough, everything starts to fail.You might be onto something there. I'll be doing something--often it's writing--when the keyboard suddenly stops responding. I'm able to bring up the Task Manager, which shows FF as "not responding." This is certainly consistent with low memory.

rlohmann
January 28th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Interesting. See my note to Lindsey. I'm using 1.0.7 (Linux release) right now and having no problems at all.

rlohmann
January 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM
See Nick's note. There's apparently a fix comng out RSN.

rlohmann
January 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM
See Nick's note. I hadn't been aware that a fix was in the works, so I'll wait a few days and see what comes out of the FF factory.

rlohmann
January 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Nick picked up on it. (See his note.) Apparently a fix is on the way.

ndebord
January 28th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I had the same feeling, and took the MS comment with several grains of salt. Still, 1.5 was a pretty large revision, so it's quite possible that it's a little buggy. (I'm writing this on the Linux side of my machine, which is still running Firefox v. 1.0.7. Version 1.5 hasn't been ported to Linux yet.)

Ralph,

The bug fixes will be out shortly and hopefully they'll fix the memory leak (this time around) and the crash issues that some users have been experiencing. It's one of those dirty little secrets that people know about but don't talk about openly.