PDA

View Full Version : Mark all read

dgermann
January 22nd, 2006, 05:44 PM
Hi--

It seems I often hit the "Mark all read" key combination by mistake.

It seems that when I do, wether I answer yes or no, all the messages are marked as read.

How do I get myself out of this error, so that what was not marked read stays unread?

Thanks!

Judy G. Russell
January 22nd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Errr... what key combination is that?

dgermann
January 23rd, 2006, 08:16 PM
Judy--

I think what I have been hitting is Alt-F9.

What is going on for me is I am trying to playback a macro, and cannot always remember Alt-F10. :o

Judy G. Russell
January 23rd, 2006, 09:06 PM
Okay... now I gotcha. The problem is that once you have marked all the messages as read, Tapcis has no way of knowing which ones you did read and which ones you've just marked as read. But there's no reason why it should mark messages as read if you say NO when prompted. Are you sure that's actually happening?

dgermann
January 24th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Judy--

Yup, I'm sure. I watched it closely this last time--and groaned.

Maybe when you're down to just a few unread, you might try it. Don't do it with 100 or so, like I did.... :(

Judy G. Russell
January 24th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Hmmm... sounds like something may be wrong with your index file, Doug. I just tested it with several files, several times, and every time I said NO, Tapcis did NOT mark everything as read.

Lindsey
January 25th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Hmmm... sounds like something may be wrong with your index file, Doug. I just tested it with several files, several times, and every time I said NO, Tapcis did NOT mark everything as read.
There is something similar to <Alt-F9>, though, that doesn't give you a chance to say "NO," and maybe that's what Doug is seeing? Like <Ctrl-F9> that skips a section (and marks it as read in the process)? With no actual message sections in a MAIL.MSG file, that would amount to just about the same thing. I can remember being burned by that one myself, and the only way out of it once you have hit that key combination is to do File | Preserver status and exit to leave the file as it was when you first opened it. (In other words, you lose all the "Read" markers on the things you actually have read, not to mention the Delete and Hold flags.)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
January 25th, 2006, 12:57 AM
That might do it, but ALT+F9 won't.

dgermann
January 25th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Lindsey--

I like your file|preserve status method. I will try that the next time.

Judy--

It seems unlikely that it is the index file, since I create a whole new directory at the start of each year, and I had this problem with the 2005 directory's index file, and with 2006's.

But I will have to watch myself a little closer and see what I am doing. I know I am trying to execute a macro, and I have several that are in that same F9 and something-9 category. Just went through the macros.tap file and nothing there jumps out at me....

I will report later, for undoubtedly I will make the same mistake again sooner or later.

Thanks to both of you, and please stay tuned....

Lindsey
January 25th, 2006, 11:13 PM
But I will have to watch myself a little closer and see what I am doing. I know I am trying to execute a macro,
Ah; yes, if you hit <Ctrl-F9> to launch the macro instead of <Alt-F10>, that would do it.

I remember asking rather pitifully during the course of the beta testing for an "Are you sure?" dialog for that keystroke, too, but it was getting too close to the live T6 release date to be adding features, unfortunately.

--Lindsey

dgermann
January 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Lindsey--

Yup. It seems likely that is the one I hit.

Thanks for commiserating with me, and for your efforts ahead of time to keep it from being a problem! :D

Lindsey
January 28th, 2006, 11:26 PM
and for your efforts ahead of time to keep it from being a problem!
I only wish I had been able to convince them to do something about it!

--Lindsey