PDA

View Full Version : Hiding web pages

yankeeharp
January 14th, 2006, 05:43 AM
I would like to have some pages that will not show up in search engines, but I don't want to write a robots.txt and put it on my main page because anyone can add robots.txt to the main page url and read the list of pages you don't want the search engines to track. Is there any code that I can put directly on the page that I want to keep out of se's that tell them to ignore this page after they've got to it?

davidh
January 14th, 2006, 06:56 AM
I would like to have some pages that will not show up in search engines, but I don't want to write a robots.txt and put it on my main page because anyone can add robots.txt to the main page url and read the list of pages you don't want the search engines to track. Is there any code that I can put directly on the page that I want to keep out of se's that tell them to ignore this page after they've got to it?

How about just putting a file called INDEX.HTML (with links to private stuff) in some folder besides the root of the site and then just giving your private audience the name of the domain and the name of the folder ? Probably not what you want, but I just thought I'd mention it.

David H.

Gary Maltzen
January 15th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I wonder - if you declare the page non-cacheable? I should think SEs would ignore a page that isn't somewhat static...

Otherwise, look at the referrer - SEs typically have a blank referrer. Presumably the page is normally reached by a link from your site.

Judy G. Russell
January 15th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Folks who'd know for sure can be found in the web sections of the Desktop Publishing Forum (http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/).