PDA

View Full Version : I want a telephone!

Judy G. Russell
January 12th, 2006, 09:28 PM
And I can't seem to find one that has the features I want. I want a fairly basic corded caller-ID equipped phone with a message waiting light if I decide I want to use the voice mail from Verizon. This shouldn't be such a big thing, but it seems that either you have to have a huge unit to get the light or put up with a tiny indicator in the caller ID LCD display. Isn't there a basic trimline-type caller-ID phone with a LIGHT to say "hey! dummy! check your messages!"???

Help!

ndebord
January 12th, 2006, 10:49 PM
And I can't seem to find one that has the features I want. I want a fairly basic corded caller-ID equipped phone with a message waiting light if I decide I want to use the voice mail from Verizon. This shouldn't be such a big thing, but it seems that either you have to have a huge unit to get the light or put up with a tiny indicator in the caller ID LCD display. Isn't there a basic trimline-type caller-ID phone with a LIGHT to say "hey! dummy! check your messages!"???

Help!

Judy,

This would be funny if it wasn't so idiotic. I looked on the web and couldn't find anything different than what you found. Weird. Here's something simple that you probably won't find satisfactory, but still...

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3663968

Judy G. Russell
January 12th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Yep, I saw that too. I think the AT&T 260 (anybody out there got one???) only displays a small symbol in the LCD display. I think maybe the Verizon CE50 (http://www22.verizon.com/foryourhome/CPE/phonesvc_details.asp?PNo=CE50) actually has a light, but GEEZ! $60???

Anybody else using that Verizon phone???

davidh
January 13th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Yep, I saw that too. I think the AT&T 260 (anybody out there got one???) only displays a small symbol in the LCD display. I think maybe the Verizon CE50 (http://www22.verizon.com/foryourhome/CPE/phonesvc_details.asp?PNo=CE50) actually has a light, but GEEZ! $60???

Anybody else using that Verizon phone???

Maybe there's a VOIP service that could fire up an app on your broadband connected PC and have Paul Revere gallop (with the sound of hoof beats) across your screen when there's unread voice mail?

David H.

Mike Landi
January 13th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I want a fairly basic corded caller-ID equipped phone with a message waiting light if I decide I want to use the voice mail from Verizon. This shouldn't be such a big thing, but it seems that either you have to have a huge unit to get the light or put up with a tiny indicator in the caller ID LCD display. Isn't there a basic trimline-type caller-ID phone with a LIGHT to say "hey! dummy! check your messages!"???

If you get the Verizon v-mail service, will you please post your opinions? I have an old phone/answering machine at home that is giving every indication that it is about to die.

What I'd love is the have Verizon handle the messages and have Verizon page my (Verizon Wireless) cell phone when a message is left at home.

I could not find a simple phone with a "message waiting" indicator and I don't know if Verizon can do the paging thing. (BellSouth can do it in Florida; my Mom has the feature.)

Judy G. Russell
January 13th, 2006, 09:00 AM
ROFL!!! Errr... not quite what I had in mind...

Judy G. Russell
January 13th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I don't see anything in the instructions that has that. You can, of course, set things to forward calls from one phone to another (home to cell, for example). But that's it, as far as I can see.

Mike Landi
January 13th, 2006, 12:30 PM
I don't see anything in the instructions that has that. You can, of course, set things to forward calls from one phone to another (home to cell, for example). But that's it, as far as I can see.

That was my read on it. I have an answering machine at home (with the dying phone) that will page any number you want when someone leaves a message. Very useful feature!

Judy G. Russell
January 13th, 2006, 12:35 PM
You might want to chat with the folks at Verizon and see what they say!

Mike
January 13th, 2006, 04:28 PM
If it doesn't absolutely have to be corded, Panasonic makes (or made) some cordless phones that have a voice-mail LED on the base, with the C-ID display on the portable handset.

Mike
January 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM
The telcos don't seem to advertise the paging feature very much, but almost all telcos use the same VM equipment, so likely it's available.

Yup. Go to www.verizon.com, choose Home Service (and you should be asked for home phone or state). Under "Learn About Products & Services," choose "Voice Mail" under "Calling Features," and click on "Home Voice Mail." (The direct link is http://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome/sas/sas_con_LongDescription.aspx#RefTable, but I don't know whether that will work with the challenge for the number/state).

Under "Resources," get the Product Instructions (a PDF file).

That document states:

Pager Notification

Additional charge applies; availability and other restrictions may apply.

Pager Notification sends a signal to your pager when you have a message waiting in your mailbox. You can then call Home Voice Mail at your convenience to retrieve your message.

Pager Notification is available alone or in combination with other notification options. If your mailbox has other notification options such as Reminder Call or Wake Up Call, the set up will be different. Please note these differences below.

Gary Maltzen
January 13th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I have found Hello Direct to be a valuable phone resource...

Perhaps something like this (http://hellodirect.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?CATID=15318&PRODID=10442)?
http://hellodirect.com/DynamoCommerceServer/dbimagecache/11342.gif

Judy G. Russell
January 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I may end up going that route, but I really don't want a cordless phone. I want a wall phone, and was hoping for a SMALL wallphone.

Judy G. Russell
January 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I'm hoping for something like this (http://www22.verizon.com/foryourhome/CPE/phonesvc_details.asp?PNo=CE50) assuming the red light at the top is a message indicator:

Jeff
January 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I have found Hello Direct to be a valuable phone resource...

Thanks for that. I'll be ordering a phone from them next week, because for reasons I don't understand they're not open on the weekends.

- Jeff

Mike
January 15th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Many of the Panasonic cordless phones can be mounted on the wall. The one I have, for example, can be either desktop or wall-mounted. It has a caller-ID display in the handset, and a VM light on the base unit.

I don't think the same unit (KX-TG2214) is being sold at the moment, but I've seen very similar units sold in the stores, and ISTR they all have the VM LED.

If all else fails, I can send you mine and buy a replacement. ;-)

Mike
January 15th, 2006, 01:25 AM
JOOC, why would you want to use Verizon VM, when it costs $6.95+ per month, and an answering machine can be purchased for less than $20?

earler
January 15th, 2006, 03:38 AM
What annoys me about cordless phones sold in the states is their use of proprietary battery packs. Here in europe the phones use aa or aaa batteries. We also are standardized on the dect standard, finally arriving in the usa, by the way. Dect permits mixing phones from different mfrs, too.

-er

Gary Maltzen
January 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM
JOOC, why would you want to use Verizon VM, when it costs $6.95+ per month, and an answering machine can be purchased for less than $20?I have Qwest VM because it takes a message when I am on the phone -- neither Bonnie nor I can tolerate call-interruption. It also works through power outages. It could also accept concurrent VMs.

Our V-Tech cordless phones have an unmissable flashing green light when there is a waiting message ; our Panasonic desk phones have a hard-to-discern LCD icon.

Judy G. Russell
January 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind!

Judy G. Russell
January 15th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Verizon Voice Mail is now a free part of an overall package called Freedom Essentials. Everything you could want -- unlimited local, regional and long distance plus caller ID, voicemail, call forwarding, etc. -- for one flat price.

Mike
January 16th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Fortunately, there are a variety of sources for replacement battery packs. Not only are they available through a variety of Internet merchants, but quite a few electronics stores also sell them. The brand name may not match that of the phone manufacturer, but when saving a lot of money, who really cares?

Mike
January 16th, 2006, 01:06 AM
That makes sense. Enjoy the features!

Mike
January 16th, 2006, 01:07 AM
I still remember the old busy signal that told callers that the line was engaged and to try again later. ;-)

Mike Landi
January 16th, 2006, 08:30 AM
You might want to chat with the folks at Verizon and see what they say!

I may try again, but I have a feeling that they won't give a sh*t about little ol' me. <g>

Mike Landi
January 16th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Pager Notification

Additional charge applies; availability and other restrictions may apply.

Pager Notification sends a signal to your pager when you have a message waiting in your mailbox. You can then call Home Voice Mail at your convenience to retrieve your message.

Pager Notification is available alone or in combination with other notification options. If your mailbox has other notification options such as Reminder Call or Wake Up Call, the set up will be different. Please note these differences below.

Wow! Thank's a lot, Mike. I will take a look.

Judy G. Russell
January 16th, 2006, 08:51 AM
That makes sense. Enjoy the features!Once I learn enough about 'em to use 'em, I'm sure I will! Thanks!

Mike
January 19th, 2006, 03:04 PM
You're welcome. I hope it works for you!

ndebord
January 19th, 2006, 07:41 PM
You're welcome. I hope it works for you!

Mike,

I'm in the early stages of doing something quite different with my old POTS phones. I'm going to dump Ma Bell altogether and go 100% cellular, but at home, I want to be able to plug my cell phone into what they call a docking station. These docking stations take only certain cell phones and they have an RJ11 jack so you can plug POTS phones into them. The idea being that you could then make your calls on your old corded phone.

Still in the early stages of research, but I would like to have that nice little blinking light on the landline activated by the cellphone. Sans that option, I guess maybe buying a docking station that includes a cordless phone too.

Dan in Saint Louis
January 19th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I'm going to dump Ma Bell altogether and go 100% cellular
Perhaps I should look at my landline service as a peripheral benefit of my DSL line.

ndebord
January 20th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Perhaps I should look at my landline service as a peripheral benefit of my DSL line.

Dan,

Sure, I'd feel that way too, if only they'd give me my DSL free as part my basic phone service! (DSL or POTS, for that matter, is truly a benefit of the Sun God. When the Rain God rules, my dialup (or DSL if I had it) goes to hell and gone.)

earler
January 20th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Here in france, landline service can be a peripheral benefit of adsl. Several isp's will do this for you. In other words, you pay for adsl (between $20 and $35) and have your pots number ported, so it is available through voip. France telecom, now privatized, lost 600,000 subscribers last year, some to such offers, others to people who only use cellular.

-er

Mike
January 20th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I'm going to dump Ma Bell altogether and go 100% cellular, but at home, I want to be able to plug my cell phone into what they call a docking station. These docking stations take only certain cell phones and they have an RJ11 jack so you can plug POTS phones into them. The idea being that you could then make your calls on your old corded phone.

I've seen them, and they're a good idea, but I'd only recommend using one as a supplemental line. As someone who works with public safety systems and knows the current state of technology regarding cellular and 911, I'd highly recommend keeping one landline phone on Verizon's cheapest plan, even if you never use it for outgoing calls. The first time there's an emergency and the E911 operator can't determine your cell phone's exact location (ANI/ALI Phase II provides the operator with a lattitude/longitude within a certain number of feet, with a certain confidence level), you'll be glad to have the landline with its fixed address and 100% confidence level.

Still in the early stages of research, but I would like to have that nice little blinking light on the landline activated by the cellphone. Sans that option, I guess maybe buying a docking station that includes a cordless phone too.

The phone's blinking light is initiated by one of two things: either a stutter in the dial tone, or by an out-of-band signal sent to the phone from the telco exchange. I seriously doubt the latter would ever happen, and I don't know whether those boxes provide a dial tone to the POTS phones that are connected to allow them to detect the stutter.

ndebord
January 21st, 2006, 11:18 AM
Mike,

M>>> The phone's blinking light is initiated by one of two things: either a stutter in the dial tone, or by an out-of-band signal sent to the phone from the telco exchange. I seriously doubt the latter would ever happen, and I don't know whether those boxes provide a dial tone to the POTS phones that are connected to allow them to detect the stutter.

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about the technology of the cell docks (or the cellphones for that matter), but regardless of the issue with E911, I'm moving to 100% cell any day now.

Since you can plug an RJ11 cable into the cell dock and use your cell phone from the POTS landline phone, there must be some kind of dial tone provided, but what do I know?

<sigh>

ndebord
January 21st, 2006, 11:21 AM
Here in france, landline service can be a peripheral benefit of adsl. Several isp's will do this for you. In other words, you pay for adsl (between $20 and $35) and have your pots number ported, so it is available through voip. France telecom, now privatized, lost 600,000 subscribers last year, some to such offers, others to people who only use cellular.
-er

Earl,

Interesting about landline as an adjunct to adsl. There were articles early on about why the baby Bells here should be forced to do likewise, but in the country with unbridled capitalism, that never came to pass.

earler
January 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
It isn't a question of "unbridled capitalism", which isn't the case in the usa either, but of the state puc's, which are highly politicized and lobbied by the rboc's. Not that politics doesn't play a role here, but in the case of the telephone there are national regulatory commissions that are relatively free of political pressure, at least so far.

I should add that the telphone workers union is very powerful and is also against competition for their employers, which would mean job losses.

-er