PDA

View Full Version : Civ IV

rlohmann
January 9th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Are there any Civ IV wonks around?

(Judy, if you aren't one, you should be.)

--
Ralphus Aurelius of the Romans

Judy G. Russell
January 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
It's on my list of things to try when I get a Round Tuit. (Time is the one thing in shortest supply around here...)

rlohmann
January 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM
The part I like best is when the citizens of a city proclaim a "We love the despot" day, to wild cheers.

Judy G. Russell
January 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Why, Marchgrave... what a surprise!

rlohmann
January 11th, 2006, 05:50 PM
The sound effects--loud cheers and thunderous applause--are delightful.

--
President Goldwater of the Americans

Judy G. Russell
January 11th, 2006, 08:23 PM
President Goldwater? And where is the TV ad of the little girl in the flowers, pray tell, in this game?

earler
January 12th, 2006, 06:38 AM
That ad run by the johnson campaign was indeed lethal.

-er

rlohmann
January 12th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Civ IV requires you to select a name as leader of the civilization you're leading Onward and Upward.

(I read about that commercial, but never saw it. At the time, I was freezing my ass off in Germany defending the Goldwater-haters against the peaceful agrarian reformers and friendly union members of the Other Side. I think it goes without saying that Goldwater's warnings, dismissed as fanatacism by the Democrats, have in hindsight proved extremely well founded.)

--
St. Louis XVI of the French

Wayne Scott
January 12th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on television. I hesitate to get into a discussion between two lawyers, but I have never been wise enough to stay out of places where I don't belong.
I would love to know what the heck you two are talking about. It is nice when my two friends agree about anything except the weather.

Layman in Lithuania

Lindsey
January 12th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I would love to know what the heck you two are talking about. It is nice when my two friends agree about anything except the weather.

I have gathered that it is something on the order of "Julius Caesar meets SimCity". Well, heck, why don't I just Google it?

OK -- check here (http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=6) and here (http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/info/).

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
January 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Probably the best example of propaganda of the second half of the 20th century.

Judy G. Russell
January 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Would you be shocked to hear it's a game Ralph likes?

ndebord
January 12th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Are there any Civ IV wonks around?

(Judy, if you aren't one, you should be.)

--
Ralphus Aurelius of the Romans

Ralphus,

Funny. Marcus Aurelius was required reading in my family tree.

Lindsey
January 12th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Probably the best example of propaganda of the second half of the 20th century.
Or a precursor to the Swift Boaters. (I believe the Johnson ad only actually aired once, but because it was so extremely controversial, just about everyone who was around in 1964 has seen it.)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
January 12th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I just checked and it only aired once as an ad -- all the other times (many many times), it was included in news reporting.

(And anyone who wants to see it should use one of the Daisy links at this web site (http://www.pbs.org/30secondcandidate/timeline/years/1964b.html).)

davidh
January 13th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Ralphus,

Funny. Marcus Aurelius was required reading in my family tree. Swiss Family Robinson tree house?

RayB (France)
January 13th, 2006, 03:07 AM
I just checked and it only aired once as an ad -- all the other times (many many times), it was included in news reporting.

(And anyone who wants to see it should use one of the Daisy links at this web site (http://www.pbs.org/30secondcandidate/timeline/years/1964b.html).)

What a horrible spot. I actually voted for him that year, not because I liked hlm because I didn't. It was because I was so PO'd at Goldwater and the campaign he was running/not running was so pathetic IMO. I agree with Ralph and agreed with BG's politics but just couldn't see him as Prez.

At the time I was driving a 1958 Mercedes with an 'LBJ' bumper sticker on it. I was a 'real hit' since I lived atop Point Loma in San Diego which was 'John Birch Country' to the max. What could be worse - A German car with a Dem sticker? Glad I had a garage to park in at night.

Judy G. Russell
January 13th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Horrible, yes, but effective. Unbelievably effective.

ndebord
January 13th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Swiss Family Robinson tree house?

Only if Marcus was deposed as Emperior and managed to get exiled instead of having to commit suicide!

<g>

davidh
January 13th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Only if Marcus was deposed as Emperior and managed to get exiled instead of having to commit suicide! <g> Actually, I had envisioned you and the other children hiding out up in the tree house in the back yard reading Marcus Aurelius out loud to each other.

David H.

BTW, I think I read somewhere that he wrote in greek instead of latin?

Lindsey
January 13th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Well, yes, that's what I meant. And it worked very much the same way with the Swift Boat ads.

--Lindsey

earler
January 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Yes, marcus aurelius used greek. He was very fond of greek civilization.

-er

Judy G. Russell
January 13th, 2006, 06:10 PM
The Swift Boat ads, though effective, weren't quite as good. First of all, there is nothing in the Daisies ad that is demonstrably untrue, since it depends entirely on opinion (will he or won't he drop the bomb). Secondly, it focused on something that people were scared to death about.

ndebord
January 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Actually, I had envisioned you and the other children hiding out up in the tree house in the back yard reading Marcus Aurelius out loud to each other.

David H.

BTW, I think I read somewhere that he wrote in greek instead of latin?

David,

Yes, Greek. My Grandmother spoke and wrote both, so was the ultimate authority on ancient regimes. My brother didn't care much for Marcus or Caesar, for that matter, but I devoured all such things as soon as I was aware of them.

Lindsey
January 13th, 2006, 09:50 PM
The Swift Boat ads, though effective, weren't quite as good. First of all, there is nothing in the Daisies ad that is demonstrably untrue
I will be interested to see, then, whether Ray thinks the Swift Boat ads were at least as despicable as the Daisies ad.

--Lindsey

RayB (France)
January 15th, 2006, 01:22 AM
I will be interested to see, then, whether Ray thinks the Swift Boat ads were at least as despicable as the Daisies ad.

--Lindsey

I'll be delighted to give you my opinion, but first, tell me what you think these two have in common.

Lindsey
January 15th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I'll be delighted to give you my opinion, but first, tell me what you think these two have in common.
Propaganda? False impressions? Despicability?

--Lindsey

rlohmann
January 24th, 2006, 06:59 PM
BTW, I think I read somewhere that he wrote in greek instead of latin?He wrote in both. Like most educated Romans, he was bilingual.