PDA

View Full Version : Domain name payments

yankeeharp
December 16th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I have been looking into purchasing a domain name for the first time. I have tried signing up at GoDaddy.com, but even though I check the "manual" button for renewing annually, when I get to the checkout it has always reverted to "recurring", which I assume means automatically renewing whatever payment method I chose without me having to do anything.

My questions are: (A) is it possible to sign up for a domain name that I will choose whether I wish to pay for it again in a year's time as the default,? and (B) am I just being too timid about it and should I just let them go ahead and debit me automatically like they want to, I mean, it's only 9 bucks a year, it's not like it's all that expensive?

Judy G. Russell
December 16th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I'd go ahead and do whatever GoDaddy says online (GoDaddy is a perfectly reputable company (I have ... hm... three domains there at the moment)) and then settle the issue by phone afterwards. Remember that you don't want to lose the domain name once you have it and are using it, so it's not unreasonable to want to have it on a recurring basis. Plus you can give them a credit card that expires in a year or two, so they can't hit it without getting the new info anyway.

Gary Maltzen
December 18th, 2005, 10:33 PM
but even though I check the "manual" button for renewing annually, when I get to the checkout it has always reverted to "recurring"
Once you have the domain you can also (as I have done) disable automatic renewal. They will then start sending you a monthly e-mail trying to get you to enable automation.

yankeeharp
December 19th, 2005, 04:15 AM
you can give them a credit card that expires in a year or two, so they can't hit it without getting the new info anyway.The agreement you have to accept says you promise to keep all the money they want to suck out of your account available to them in your account in perpetuity and if you fail to do so they have the right to take your first-born child, or something close to that effect, but I don't suppose they actually bother sending their barricudas out over a few measly dollars.

yankeeharp
December 19th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Once you have the domain you can also (as I have done) disable automatic renewal. They will then start sending you a monthly e-mail trying to get you to enable automation.Thanks. I think I'll wait till after holidays -- maybe there'll be a sale -- and then go ahead take the plunge and hope for the best. Heck, if I could deal with calling Compuserve on a landline, I should be able to handle anything godaddy can dish out :).

Judy G. Russell
December 19th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Heck, if I could deal with calling Compuserve on a landline, I should be able to handle anything godaddy can dish out :).ABSOLUTELY!!!

One thing to know -- once you've bought your domain (and hosting, if you do that), you will probably get a call the next day from GoDaddy "to check on your satisfaction" -- and offering some special deals. Most of the time, the deals are pretty good -- another year or two of hosting at very discounted prices. Make sure you think about it before you say no!