PDA

View Full Version : Remember Diebold?

ndebord
December 12th, 2005, 11:30 PM
As the elections of 2000, 2002 and 2004 have faded into history, so to have the complaints that Diebold may have helped steal elections in key states, like Ohio.

Today, the CEO of Diebold resigned, amid reports of insider trading and stories that a whistleblower has been talking about rigged elections using Diebold equipment.

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Diebold_CEO_resigns_after_reports_of_1212.html

N

Lindsey
December 13th, 2005, 05:41 PM
http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Diebold_CEO_resigns_after_reports_of_1212.html

I love the concluding paragraph:

Diebold spokesman David Bear rebutted the charges. ďDiebold has a sterling reputation in the industry," Bear said. "Itís a 144-year-old company and is considered one of the best companies in the industry."

Can you say "non-denial denial," boys and girls? Besides, Arthur Andersen had longevity and a sterling reputation in its industry, too. Didn't keep them from going over to the dark side. :(

(Hey! Somebody re-arranged the smilies!)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM
(Hey! Somebody re-arranged the smilies!)We did???

Lindsey
December 13th, 2005, 06:39 PM
We did???
Well, they were, I swear they were. Now they're back in the order I remember. OK, I'm making a screen clip to document this one; if I see them switched around again, I'll have hard evidence. What I'm seeing now has the standard yellow smiley on the left hand side of the top row. But a minute ago, that one was showing up in the middle of the second row. And the pink smiley with the tongue sticking out on the left hand side of the third row, swapped with the blue smiley with the question marks. And there were a bunch of others moved around, too.

I swear to God I have had nothing intoxicating to drink today, and no medication any stronger than Robitussin DM, which is non-narcotic!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 13th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I swear to God I have had nothing intoxicating to drink today, and no medication any stronger than Robitussin DM, which is non-narcotic!You're obviously a Robitussin junkie. (And I hope you feel better soon.)

Lindsey
December 13th, 2005, 11:11 PM
You're obviously a Robitussin junkie. (And I hope you feel better soon.)
Yeah, I confess I do sort of like that cherry flavor!

I'm much better than I was a couple of days ago, thanks. I think I caught this from my brother's kids, who were all coughing up a storm when they came up to visit on Thanksgiving. Jamie, especially--I thought that poor kid was going to bust something loose, he was coughing so hard!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
December 13th, 2005, 11:17 PM
You're obviously a Robitussin junkie. (And I hope you feel better soon.)
Oh! Oh! It happened again! I'm not crazy!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 14th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Now that is thoroughly weird. Lemme see if there's any explanation for this over with the vBulletin folks...

Judy G. Russell
December 14th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I think I caught this from my brother's kids, who were all coughing up a storm when they came up to visit on Thanksgiving. Jamie, especially--I thought that poor kid was going to bust something loose, he was coughing so hard!I get sick every time I visit with my brother's kids. We grownups don't have immunities to all those kid-borne bugs!

Lindsey
December 14th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Now that is thoroughly weird. Lemme see if there's any explanation for this over with the vBulletin folks...
It's a very small thing, but you're right that it's weird!

Hey, while you're at it: see if there's a wider selection of smilies. Maybe not, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
December 14th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I get sick every time I visit with my brother's kids. We grownups don't have immunities to all those kid-borne bugs!
That is the absolute and unfortunate truth!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 14th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I thought I was going to have to kill Duncan when he gave me a cold RIGHT before I was supposed to go in for surgery. I swear, if I'd had to postpone it, I probably would have killed him. But fortunately I survived, he survived and will even reach the grand old age of two on December 29.

Judy G. Russell
December 14th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Sigh... we probably should go ahead and upgrade to the new version. I'm about half afraid to do that -- I'm dead sure I'll break something.

ktinkel
December 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Sigh... we probably should go ahead and upgrade to the new version. I'm about half afraid to do that -- I'm dead sure I'll break something.DTP is in the same boat. VB is tough enough, but still we have been dragging our feet.

I found another oddity with the smilies here, btw. They appear up next to the title bar, from whence I cannot remove them, rather than where my cursor is (or at least in the message body). See? I just clicked on a smilie and there it is. And it replaces the auto-title function as well.

They also appear on the bottom, under the reply window, not in portrait array as in Lindseyís screen shot. Could that be a function of Hybrid v some other choice? (They are at right in DTP, but we also use the retro layout, with personal info at left. Maybe that is the difference with the smilies.)

Judy G. Russell
December 15th, 2005, 09:12 PM
DTP is in the same boat. VB is tough enough, but still we have been dragging our feet.We should work together to upgrade... bail each other out!

I found another oddity with the smilies here, btw. They appear up next to the title bar, from whence I cannot remove them, rather than where my cursor is (or at least in the message body). See? I just clicked on a smilie and there it is. And it replaces the auto-title function as well. They also appear on the bottom, under the reply window, not in portrait array as in Lindseyís screen shot. Could that be a function of Hybrid v some other choice? (They are at right in DTP, but we also use the retro layout, with personal info at left. Maybe that is the difference with the smilies.)Hmmm... that may be due to some choice. I use hybrid, and what I see is shown in the thumbnail below.

Lindsey
December 15th, 2005, 10:33 PM
and will even reach the grand old age of two on December 29.
I didn't realize that Duncan had the same birthday as my brother's triplets!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
December 15th, 2005, 10:37 PM
They also appear on the bottom, under the reply window, not in portrait array as in Lindseyís screen shot.
I'm seeing them in both places, as shown in Judy's screen shot. The ones at the bottom appear with the title line of the message. The ones in portrait array at the right of the edit screen are what are inserted into the body of the message.

Are you using a Mac? Maybe that's the difference.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 15th, 2005, 11:08 PM
The triplets are also December 29th??? I didn't know that! Well, it's a sure bet neither of us should ever forget those birthdays!

ktinkel
December 16th, 2005, 02:04 PM
We should work together to upgrade... bail each other out!Maybe so. Iíll get back to you.

Hmmm... that may be due to some choice. I use hybrid, and what I see is shown in the thumbnail below.I use Hybrid, too. (I tried to attach a screenshot (.png), all of 7kb, but vB told me I had exceeded by attachment allowance, and the green bar shows 100% full. I have no attachments. Not sure what that is about!)

Anyway, as I type here, the array is beneath the reply window, ranged horizontally. They are labeled Post Icons, which I didnít notice until I read Lindseyís message. I donít have the ones at the right side. Iíll check my CP; maybe I did something.

ktinkel
December 16th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I'm seeing them in both places, as shown in Judy's screen shot. The ones at the bottom appear with the title line of the message. The ones in portrait array at the right of the edit screen are what are inserted into the body of the message.

Are you using a Mac? Maybe that's the difference.Thanks ó now I see the Post Icons label. I do not see any smilies to the right, however.

I do use a Mac, but this is the only vB forum where I do not see the regular smilies arrayed at the right side of the reply window.

Iím having a bunch of problems here today ó canít use attachments, canít place an image in my sig. Just rebooted my system, too. (Maybe thatís the problem!)

Judy G. Russell
December 16th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Iím having a bunch of problems here today ó canít use attachments, canít place an image in my sig. Just rebooted my system, too. (Maybe thatís the problem!)Hmmm... let's hope that helps things!

Judy G. Russell
December 16th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Hmmm... something just occurred to me. You're listed as a registered user, not a member. I'm gonna flip the switch for you as a member. Let me know if that changes things (it probably will for the attachments, at least).

Lindsey
December 16th, 2005, 04:59 PM
The triplets are also December 29th??? I didn't know that! Well, it's a sure bet neither of us should ever forget those birthdays!
Yep--they made it just in time to be included as dependents for the 2001 tax year. <g>

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 16th, 2005, 06:38 PM
GOOD babies! And considering that everything they do, they do times three, getting those exemptions was no small thing!

rlohmann
December 17th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Gin tastes better. :)

rlohmann
December 17th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Am I being hopelessly reactionary by suggesting that Tapcis was a far better program? :(

fhaber
December 17th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Reactionary? You are not. Syndicalists the world over agree with you.

rlohmann
December 17th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Well, it's a small beginning.

I can give you the URL for the words and music to "Cara al Sol" if you like. :)

Judy G. Russell
December 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Am I being hopelessly reactionary by suggesting that Tapcis was a far better program? :(You don't seriously think you're going to get anyone here to say Tapcis was anything but a vastly better program, do you? But -- alas -- those days are gone and we have to struggle on with what we have available...

Judy G. Russell
December 18th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Gin tastes better. :)Somehow gin has always had a nasty aftertaste for me. I never was able to warm up to the stuff.

Lindsey
December 18th, 2005, 10:45 PM
GOOD babies! And considering that everything they do, they do times three, getting those exemptions was no small thing!
Their CPA mom was especially pleased. ;-)

They were up visiting this weekend--my other brother was holding an open house, and they came up for that--and the thing that made the biggest impression on Jamie during the time they were here--more than going to see "Polar Express" at the Omnimax theater at the science museum, more than the Christmas lights, more then my mother's Christmas tree--was a dead squirrel they found in the middle of the road near my mother's house. He talked about it the whole rest of the weekend. "Poor little squirrel," he kept saying. "Good riddance!" I kept thinking!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 18th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I'm with you. Squirrels are nothing but rats with furry tails. Hate them things...

Lindsey
December 18th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I'm with you. Squirrels are nothing but rats with furry tails. Hate them things...
The worst thing was that he had picked it up off the road and carried it back to the house, as if it was a puppy. My sister nearly had a stroke, imagining the vermin that probably infested the carcass. ("Oh, my God, what was Stuart thinking letting him pick that nasty thing up????") She told him absolutely that's not coming in the house, and convinced him to put it out in the garden, but after that, he had to go check on it every time he went outside. I don't know if he was expecting a resurrection or what.

My sister-in-law didn't arrive until Saturday evening--she had stayed behind while Stu brought the kids up so that she could get some of her Christmas chores done while they were out of the house--and the squirrel was the first thing Jamie had to tell her about after she walked in the door. Along with all the gory details about where it was bleeding, etc. All this while Nancy was eating her dinner. :p

--Lindsey

lensue
December 19th, 2005, 09:04 AM
>Squirrels are nothing but rats with furry tails. Hate them things<

Judy, when we lived in Maplewood one came down through the chimney to our fireplace but couldn't get in the house because the glass doors were shut--we called someone but as he tried to trap the squirrel it got loose in the house--fortunately he finally ran out the opened front door! It was then that we made sure to put a device on top of the chimney that wouldn't allow that to ever happen again! Regards, Len [g]

Judy G. Russell
December 19th, 2005, 11:21 AM
She ...convinced him to put it out in the garden, but after that, he had to go check on it every time he went outside. I don't know if he was expecting a resurrection or what.ROFL!!! Poor Jamie...

the squirrel was the first thing Jamie had to tell her about after she walked in the door. Along with all the gory details about where it was bleeding, etc. All this while Nancy was eating her dinner. :p ROFL again! Poor Nancy!

Judy G. Russell
December 19th, 2005, 11:22 AM
The #$%@# things manage to get into my attic no matter what I do to try to keep them out. I wouldn't mind so much if they'd just pay rent...

lensue
December 20th, 2005, 10:53 AM
>into my attic <

Judy, horrible--they must make alot of noise--I don't think we could get use to them running around overhead. Also I guess they could really do some damage. Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Yep, noise and damage. It's infuriating. And people keep saying, "oh they're so CUTE." Cute my #$$. They're rats with furry tails...

lensue
December 21st, 2005, 06:50 AM
>oh they're so CUTE<

Judy, some people say that about another type of squirrel--the woodchuck--we hate them because of the damage they do in our garden--over the years we've had to put quite a few wire baskets around certain plants they like to munch on! Regards, Len [g]

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2005, 09:47 AM
Rabbits, squirrels, woodchucks... sigh... They're all just beasties.

Lindsey
December 21st, 2005, 09:35 PM
Rabbits, squirrels, woodchucks... sigh... They're all just beasties.
And rodent-type beasties at that...

--Lindsey

lensue
December 22nd, 2005, 08:14 AM
>Rabbits<

Judy, now they're the woprst of all--they do more damage by than the woodchucks and the squirrels--I need an air gun! Regards, Len [g]

earler
December 22nd, 2005, 11:03 AM
But, great eating!

-er

lensue
December 22nd, 2005, 11:13 AM
>But, great eating!<

Earle, we haven't had much rabbit over the years although we eat out alot at restaurants and many of them are French bistro types--just recently we were at one of these $30 special 3 course dinners at a rather famous eastdise French restaurand named Payard Bistro and we had rabbit--it was as you say delicious. I'm the cook in the family--gotta make it sometime. Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
December 22nd, 2005, 10:45 PM
And the fact that they have fur and occasionally look "cute" doesn't excuse them one bit in my book!

Judy G. Russell
December 22nd, 2005, 10:45 PM
Forget the air gun. I want an ought-six...

Lindsey
December 22nd, 2005, 10:52 PM
And the fact that they have fur and occasionally look "cute" doesn't excuse them one bit in my book!
I remember a rabbit-fur muff that I had as a kid, but I guess it's not PC to think that rabbit fur is good for wearing, is it? But it does seem to me that that's not a bad use for rabbits (not to mention those weasel cousins the minks).

--Lindsey

lensue
December 22nd, 2005, 11:21 PM
>Forget the air gun. I want an ought-six...<

Judy, LOL--well we like our neighbors and I don't want to shoot any of them! Regards, Len [g]

Bill Hirst
December 27th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Hmmm... that may be due to some choice. I use hybrid, and what I see is shown in the thumbnail below.

It's how you have the message editor set up. Under the standard editor the smilies are on the side. (It's selectable under User CP / Options)

Judy G. Russell
December 27th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Bill! I figured it was some configurable choice somewhere!

ktinkel
December 27th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Hmmm... something just occurred to me. You're listed as a registered user, not a member. I'm gonna flip the switch for you as a member. Let me know if that changes things (it probably will for the attachments, at least).Thanks ó that did the trick. Whew.

Still do not see the regular smilies to the right of the reply window, however. Not sure what that might be about.

ktinkel
December 27th, 2005, 02:23 PM
It's how you have the message editor set up. Under the standard editor the smilies are on the side. (It's selectable under User CP / Options)Right you are ó I see them now. :)

But I always use the advanced editor with vB elsewhere, and get to see the smilies at the right. So it must be something in the vB setup options that attaches the smilies to the standard editor only.

Thanks.

Judy G. Russell
December 27th, 2005, 06:34 PM
I really do like vBulletin... but the sheer number of options can be daunting.

ktinkel
December 27th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I really do like vBulletin... but the sheer number of options can be daunting.I absolutely ó intensely ó do know what you mean!!!

Judy G. Russell
December 27th, 2005, 10:45 PM
ROFL!!! Yeah, I'll bet you do...

Bill Hirst
December 28th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Forget the air gun. I want an ought-six...

You'll have to hit them in the head to avoid holes in the fur. On the other hand, I'd go for a shotgun.

Bill Hirst
December 28th, 2005, 07:58 PM
The #$%@# things manage to get into my attic no matter what I do to try to keep them out. I wouldn't mind so much if they'd just pay rent...

I had some kind of critters in my attic; I don't know what they were, but some rat poison chunks made the noise stop.

Judy G. Russell
December 28th, 2005, 10:49 PM
With my luck, the evil beasties would crawl inside the walls and die there... Peeeeeyewwwww!

Judy G. Russell
December 28th, 2005, 10:50 PM
It'd take an awful lot of skins for the fur to make much of a coat or even a rug. I'll settle for them just being dead dead dead.

Jeff
December 29th, 2005, 12:33 PM
With my luck, the evil beasties would crawl inside the walls and die there... Peeeeeyewwwww!

There is mouse poison which (mostly) prevents the smell after they die where you can't find them. As I understand it, it works on desiccation which reduces the chemical action leading to putrefaction.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
December 29th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Oooooh... can you get me the name of that stuff??? I'd loooooooove to have it.

Jeff
December 30th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Oooooh... can you get me the name of that stuff??? I'd loooooooove to have it.

I think it's pretty common, even generic. Although the only time I used it was in Holland (The Hague had mice, Rotterdam had rats). It's such a simple idea it must be available over here. The key word is "desiccation".

- Jeff

Lindsey
December 30th, 2005, 06:50 PM
As I recall the way that stuff is supposed to work, the animal becomes badly dehydrated and is compelled to get outside in search of water, so they're supposed to die outside. Supposed to.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
December 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM
There is mouse poison which (mostly) prevents the smell after they die where you can't find them. As I understand it, it works on desiccation which reduces the chemical action leading to putrefaction.
Ooops, I see you beat me to it! Yeah, that is in line with what I understand about that stuff, too.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 30th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I need some! I need some!

Judy G. Russell
December 30th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Hmmm... unless of course it has recently rained in which case there are puddles in the basement and...

Maybe it'd be easier if I just moved.

Lindsey
December 31st, 2005, 09:43 PM
I need some! I need some!
Hmmmm -- bad news (http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/squirrelcontrol.htm#recommendations):

There are no poison baits on the market that squirrels will eat and none are labeled as squirrel bait...just mice and rat bait. Live trapping squirrels is the only way to remove unwanted squirrels. Locate the trap along the path of entry and places of known foraging activity. You may want to consider local ordinances for trapping squirrels, in that they differ. Sometimes a professional trapper with a nuissance control license is needed to not only capture the squirrel, but relocate it as well. Go about 4-5 miles away to relocate the squirrels or it will find it's way back to your area.

My dad used to use those squirrel traps. He was convinced he was trapping the same damned squirrels over and over and over...

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
January 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM
... Go about 4-5 miles away to relocate the squirrels or it will find it's way back to your area. My general view of treerats is that I would relocate them to the bottom of the Raritan Bay.

Lindsey
January 1st, 2006, 10:43 PM
My general view of treerats is that I would relocate them to the bottom of the Raritan Bay.
You'd only need a few lead weights to tie to the cage in that case...

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
January 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
You'd only need a few lead weights to tie to the cage in that case...I have a spare rock or two I'd gladly give up from my garden for the purpose...

Jeff
January 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
I have a spare rock or two I'd gladly give up from my garden for the purpose...

Be careful how you do it...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/29/cat.rescue.ap/index.html

- Yeff

Judy G. Russell
January 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM
Oh poor baby! How could anyone do that to a cat???? A squirrel, now, I understand completely, but a cat???

Don't worry. I'll make sure there's no ice in the bay waters...