PDA

View Full Version : CIS Mail stopped working automatically

Scott Finegan
December 12th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Hi Folks,

Since about Dec. 09, 2005
When I log on, the text in the online window indicates there are no waiting messages. Oz doesn't go to mail as it believes there isn't any.

In the interim...
I send a message to myself from Oz causing an actual mail pass, and retrieving my usual 20-30 waiting spam messages.

Is anyone else having trouble??

Oz error?
or
CIS changed something?

Best,
Scott Finegan

Judy G. Russell
December 12th, 2005, 10:54 PM
I can't confirm, Scott -- I'm still getting the spam!

Franca
December 13th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Hi, Scott,

I experienced CIS mail weirdness last week, as did at least two other people I know. CIS was completely unavailable for most of a day, and then for another day or so afterward there was some strange problem that prevented header info from getting through. I use a little utility called MailCall that will preview up to 100 lines of any e-mail from any POP mailbox so I can decide whether or not to download it. MailCall was able to preview some of my CIS mail, but not all of it. Still, it did better than OzWin or WinCIM, apparently. A friend of mine uses WinCIM which, as of yesterday, was still not showing her waiting mail even though bunches of mail download when she goes to grab it. So you are not alone and I don't think it's OzWin. However, my CIS mail seems to be working OK again now.

Lee James
December 13th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Hi,

I just logged on today at 10:55 UTC and I usually use CIS 3.0.4 to check the mail for spam (and delete it) then I use Oz to download what I want. I had four messages waiting for me (as identified by CIS) but Oz did a pass and found No Waiting Mail! This happened three times. I checked the mail again with CIS and there it was !

Has CIS changed their system to finally stop Off Line Readers from working ? Heard that it was in the wind...

Cheers,

Peter Creasey
December 13th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Hi Folks,
Is anyone else having trouble??

Scott, Yes, CIS Classic mail server has been on the blitz. The engineers are aware of the problem and working on a solution. The problems are intermittent.

Scott Finegan
December 13th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks all that replied. I hope they get it fixed soon.

Best,
Scott Finegan

Lee James
December 14th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Hi,

Scott, Yes, CIS Classic mail server has been on the blitz. The engineers are aware of the problem and working on a solution. The problems are intermittent.

So Ozwin should still work ? Its not that CIS have prevented the use of Ozwin for access ? There have been rumours of CIS doing this for some time now.

Cheers for your comments.

take care,

Gary Maltzen
December 14th, 2005, 11:24 AM
So Ozwin should still work ?
Yes; HMI access to e-mail is still there - whether OzWin, TapCIS or CS.

Scott Finegan
December 14th, 2005, 06:57 PM
CIS mail appears to be working again.

Best,
Scott Finegan

Lindsey
December 14th, 2005, 08:43 PM
CIS mail appears to be working again.
Shhhhh! Don't tempt fate...

--Lindsey

sidney
December 15th, 2005, 04:00 AM
So Ozwin should still work ?

It appears that the problem at CIS has come and gone already, but for future reference, this intermittent problem with Classic email is so common that there is an option in OzWin to work around it until they fix it once again.

The problem is that the mail servers get into a state in which they report there is no new mail when there really is. OzWin normally checks with the system to see if there is any mail to retrieve, not bothering to try to retrieve new mail if there isn't any.

When the system misbehaves in this way, use Config | General, select the CISMail tab, and then enable the checkbox for "Force mail processing". That will cause OzWin to visit the mail servers and attempt to download mail on every pass instead of only when the servers report that there is mail to retrieve.

The problem is usually fixed within a few days. You can try unchecking the box, see if it works, and enable it again if it has not yet been fixed.

-- sidney

Lee James
December 15th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Hello Sydney,

Thanks for the info. I can confirm that I was able to download mail with Oz today, no problem.

Any idea on what the outlook is for Classic account holders ?

Cheers,

regards,

sidney
December 15th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Any idea on what the outlook is for Classic account holders ?

I have no connections with CIS anymore and no idea what they are planning. At this point your guess would be every bit as good as I mine.

-- sidney

Scott Finegan
December 15th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Hi Sidney,

When the system misbehaves in this way, use Config | General, select the CISMail tab, and then enable the checkbox for "Force mail processing". -- sidney

I forgot that was there.

I believe this is the only time since 1993 that I have had a problem with CIS mail. OZ has always worked after the initial setup.

Best,
Scott Finegan

sidney
December 16th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I believe this is the only time since 1993 that I have had a problem with CIS mail.

It has happened more often than that, but between it usually being noticed and fixed within a few days, and at least some of the incidents only affecting the accounts that are based on the server that has the problem that time, it would be likely that you would not notice. I would hear every time because I would get the questions from OzWin users who were not getting their mail.

-- sidney

earler
December 17th, 2005, 05:31 PM
The sad truth is that all the major email servers have problems from time to time. My main email is routed to attglobal and it began refusing much of my mail for about 10 days. Now fixed. I've had problems with my french email, too, from time to time.

-er

John Cutmore
December 27th, 2005, 06:42 AM
There appeared to be a problem with CIS mail, I am not sure if it is now cleared.
The way to overcome the problem is to go to Config>General>CIS Mail and set it to Force Mail Processing.

That will force a mail scan even if CIS reports no mail waiting.

Regards

John

Karl Semper
December 27th, 2005, 08:15 PM
That doesn't always work. I get a protocol time out and that is that. It has been happening fo the last couple of days. I guess it is time to abandon the old classic mail system and what is left of classic compuserve.

Karl

John Cutmore
December 30th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Karl,

I haven't had any problems with classic mail and Ozwin as long as I have Force Mail set.

I also have not seen any reported problems in the CIS forums for the past few weeks.

Regards

John

Karl Semper
December 30th, 2005, 10:14 PM
John,

The problem seems to come and go. Today I had no problems. I have had Force Mail set since it was suggested a long time ago.

Since I have moved most all of my email to other accounts, I will probably close my classic account. I was mainly using it for dial-up when traveling. Since I am no longer traveling to Europe very much, I don't really need the account anymore.

Karl