PDA

View Full Version : I hate winter!!!

Judy G. Russell
December 1st, 2005, 11:08 AM
I especially hate winter that starts before winter is due to start.

We here in the NY metro area have s... sn... sno... that evil nasty white stuff in the forecast for as early as Monday.

I hate winter.

davidh
December 1st, 2005, 11:24 AM
I hate winter. I wonder if you felt differently when you were 10 years old? ;)

David H.

Lindsey
December 1st, 2005, 04:45 PM
We here in the NY metro area have s... sn... sno... that evil nasty white stuff in the forecast for as early as Monday.
Hah! There was snow falling here on the eve of Thanksgiving. It didn't stick, but it was definitely the white stuff that was coming down.

But hey, didn't you ever sing that song "Over the River and Through the Woods (http://www.smart-central.com/HolidayPages/overtheriver.htm) " when you were a kid? I had a 45 with that on one side that I used to play all the time; it's describing a trip to grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner:

Over the river and through the woods,
To grandmother's house we go;
The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
Through the white and drifted snow....

Snow at Thanksgiving ain't out of the question by a long shot!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 1st, 2005, 09:02 PM
The author was obviously from New England or some other Godforsaken northern clime...

Judy G. Russell
December 1st, 2005, 09:03 PM
No. I have always hated the cold. Or at least the cold here in the east where it's a humid cold.

woodswell
December 1st, 2005, 09:15 PM
Judy, I hate winter, too - even here in Florida where we seldom get snow.

It doesn't help that it seems that the coldest mornings are the ones I HAVE to spend outside. This morning, I got to spend three hours out in 33F temps getting the horses' feet trimmed.

And I am allergic to cold - my blood stops flowing. I got shocky by the end of the morning and three hours under the electric blanket did not warm me up. I finally took a long hot shower and feel human again, but I've got to go back out there again in the morning.

How you guys that live farther north handle it? I'd be a popcicle!
Anne

Judy G. Russell
December 1st, 2005, 11:42 PM
I think people do get acclimated to dome degree. A friend of mine from Minnesota wears t-shirts on days when I wear polartec...

Lindsey
December 2nd, 2005, 05:02 PM
No. I have always hated the cold. Or at least the cold here in the east where it's a humid cold.
Dry cold is not better, believe me.

--Lindsey

lensue
December 3rd, 2005, 06:11 AM
>when I wear polartec<

Judy, here in NJ it's gotten so cold so early--isn't it just dismal! Regards, Len

Peter Creasey
December 3rd, 2005, 09:06 AM
I hate winter.

Judy, The weather here is lovely. Lows in the 40s to 60s, highs in the 50s to 70s.

You need to move back here and enjoy the good life!

Judy G. Russell
December 3rd, 2005, 11:00 AM
Cold is cold, no doubt about it. But I do better in both dry cold and dry heat. Which is why I keep asking myself how in the name of all that's holy I ended up where I ended up!

Judy G. Russell
December 3rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
"Dismal" is a good word. At least there's bright sunshine today to go along with our subnormal temperatures...

Judy G. Russell
December 3rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
You need to move back here and enjoy the good life!Yeah... right... tell me about your good life in July and August.

Peter Creasey
December 3rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah... right... tell me about your good life in July and August.

Judy, They are a piece of cake. Then you get to enjoy the other 10 months outside.

C'mon back and enjoy the moderate climate in everything...including politics!

Judy G. Russell
December 3rd, 2005, 08:58 PM
I think I have to take issue with your definition of "moderate" climate. In June you had 29 days with daytime temps of more than 90 degrees. In July, 28 days. In August, 29 days. In September, 26 days. You even had a bunch in May and October. You have more days above 90 in a month than we have in an entire summer.

Uh-uh. No way. That ain't my idea of "moderate." And that doesn't even mention the issue of relative humidity

Peter Creasey
December 4th, 2005, 09:20 AM
the issue of relative humidity

Judy, It is good for one's complexion.

Judy G. Russell
December 4th, 2005, 10:18 AM
But not one's disposition!

Judy G. Russell
December 4th, 2005, 10:31 AM
There's s... sn... sno... white stuff on the ground. ARGGGHHH!!!

Dan in Saint Louis
December 4th, 2005, 12:56 PM
There's s... sn... sno... white stuff on the ground. ARGGGHHH!!!
Not all that white stuff (http://landiss.info/albums/genevaice/index.html) is snow...

Judy G. Russell
December 4th, 2005, 01:25 PM
EEEEEK!!! No, thanks, if I have to choose which white stuff I want on the ground, snow is much better than ice, thank you very much.

Peter Creasey
December 5th, 2005, 08:44 AM
But not one's disposition!

Judy, Ouch! Unless you are just speaking for yourself, that is a pretty strong summary judgement.

Judy G. Russell
December 5th, 2005, 10:00 AM
I was only speaking for myself and what it would do to MY disposition to be somewhere with that many days of that kind of heat and humidity.

fhaber
December 5th, 2005, 10:44 AM
You might revise your opinion of Houston tomorrow. Three to six tonight.

-f, who shares your aversion to H., Memphis, St. Louis, NO and other hellholes. Has anyone ever said that without cheap energy and universal AC, there would be far fewer Bushies?

Lindsey
December 5th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Has anyone ever said that without cheap energy and universal AC, there would be far fewer Bushies?
Hmmmmm--that might explain a lot about the country's current energy policy! And for sure the big migration to the Sun Belt didn't start until after A/C started to become nearly ubiquitous.

My one and only visit to New Orleans was in early October. Even then, there were a couple of uncomfortably warm days, but it was at least tolerable. I definitely wouldn't want to be there in July or August.

--Lindsey

Peter Creasey
December 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM
My one and only visit to New Orleans was in early October. Even then, there were a couple of uncomfortably warm days, but it was at least tolerable. I definitely wouldn't want to be there in July or August.
--Lindsey

Lindsey, Before the hurricane damage/repercussions, July and August were in fact good times to be in New Orleans as the tourist crowds were down and your accommodations in hotels/restaurants/etc./etc. were easily arranged.

Peter Creasey
December 5th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Has anyone ever said that without cheap energy and universal AC, there would be far fewer Bushies?

F, Nothing like a tacky comment in an interesting thread!

Judy G. Russell
December 5th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Nope, nope, nope. The Weather Service freaked, as usual. We only get three to six when they predict either lots more... or lots less.

Judy G. Russell
December 5th, 2005, 10:47 PM
July in New Orleans? August in New Orleans? Surely you jest. I'd melt. I'd absolutely melt. That's drink-the-air type humidity added to melting temperatures.

Peter Creasey
December 6th, 2005, 08:49 AM
July in New Orleans? August in New Orleans? Surely you jest. I'd melt. I'd absolutely melt.

Judy, Besides Lake Ponchartrain frivolities, what do you want to do during the day in New Orleans that's outside? All of the restaurants, shops, hotels, bars, etc., etc. are air conditioned.

July and August is when you can (I guess we should say past tense "could") enjoy all that New Orleans has to offer without the crowds, including getting into the best restaurants.

Judy G. Russell
December 6th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Personally I love to walk in a city I'm visiting. Just walk. Talk my time ambling from one area to another, to absorb things. Sorry, but no July or August sweltering for me!

Gary Maltzen
December 6th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I think people do get acclimated to dome degree. A friend of mine from Minnesota wears t-shirts on days when I wear polartec...
Tain't me - though Andy (son#2) did go out in his t-shirt Sunday night to move his car into the driveway after guests left.
Sub-zero (F) came in Monday night. Here's a picture of the lake steaming this morning.

rlohmann
December 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM
As much as I hate to agree with Lindsey, she's right about this one.

Buy a humidifier for your house, and threaten to sue your notoriously curmudgeonly boss if he doesn't buy one for the office.

Dry cold is majorly bad. Ask Wayne.

rlohmann
December 6th, 2005, 06:06 PM
My roommate, who is from New England, was lecturing me about snow this morning, when a scant inch feel on the Eastern Shore.

Judy G. Russell
December 6th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Sorry, I'm too much a native Coloradan to agree with this. I never thrive when it's cold, but I tolerate the dry cold much better than I do this bone-chilling wet damp nasty cold we get here.

Judy G. Russell
December 6th, 2005, 08:03 PM
My roommate, who is from New England, was lecturing me about snow this morning, when a scant inch feel on the Eastern Shore.I assume your roommate considers us all wusses for our attitude and wants to tell us how she walked five miles through the waist-deep snow, uphill both ways, to school?

Judy G. Russell
December 6th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I actually wasn't thinking of you, but of an oldtime Compuserve character named Paul Fjelstad.

You are still a little suspect for living where you do, however, even if it is beautiful when it isn't under a kazillion inches of snow.

Wayne Scott
December 7th, 2005, 12:23 AM
It's cold here in Southern California. Hi today was only 75F. Tonight the low is expected to hit the mid 30's.

Brrrr!

lensue
December 7th, 2005, 08:33 AM
>My one and only visit to New Orleans was in early October<

Lindsey, we were there in April about 5 years ago for the first time--we had superb weather for the most part but it was starting to get a little too hot for us on certain afternoons. We were outside a lot and one of theactivities involved looking at private gardens opened up for that week. I'd never go there in the summer. Regards, Len

lensue
December 7th, 2005, 08:37 AM
>Personally I love to walk in a city I'm visiting<

Judy, same for us--no way we would enjoy walking in New Orleans in the summer! I'd sooner be walking in London or Paris in the winter--at least you can put on layers of clothing--but in the summer with all the heat and humidity there's just nothing you can do! Regards, Len

MollyM/CA
December 7th, 2005, 10:06 AM
It's cold here in Southern California. Hi today was only 75F. Tonight the low is expected to hit the mid 30's.

Brrrr!

Grrrrrrr.

Judy G. Russell
December 7th, 2005, 10:23 AM
in the summer with all the heat and humidity there's just nothing you can do!Not without getting arrested, that's for sure!

Judy G. Russell
December 7th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Brrrr!Mean. Mean mean mean. It's COLD here -- we've already had two light snowfalls and are supposed to get the third on Friday. This is ridiculous. It's barely December. It's not supposed to be this cold and nasty yet! WAHHHH!

Jeff
December 7th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Sorry, I'm too much a native Coloradan to agree with this. I never thrive when it's cold, but I tolerate the dry cold much better than I do this bone-chilling wet damp nasty cold we get here.

The sun. Don't forget the ~360 days of sun. Right now in the Colorado River valley it's ~10f, humidity of ~15%, and the sun has melted all of overnight frost from the car.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
December 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
The sun. Don't forget the ~360 days of sun. Right now in the Colorado River valley it's ~10f, humidity of ~15%, and the sun has melted all of overnight frost from the car.All of that sounds really good... except the ~10F part!

Lindsey
December 7th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Lindsey, Before the hurricane damage/repercussions, July and August were in fact good times to be in New Orleans as the tourist crowds were down and your accommodations in hotels/restaurants/etc./etc. were easily arranged.
There's a reason the tourist crowds were down in July and August: THE WEATHER IN THOSE MONTHS IS BLOODY UNBEARABLE!!!!

As it was, the particular October I happened to be in NOLa was in 2001--not long after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, and before people had started travelling again in the usual numbers. So the crowds were not bad, especially in the first few days I was there, but they were still lined up in large numbers at the hot spots in the French Quarter!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
December 7th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Personally I love to walk in a city I'm visiting. Just walk. Talk my time ambling from one area to another, to absorb things. Sorry, but no July or August sweltering for me!
My answer as well. When I was there, I played hookey from the conference I was attending (it was a light day anyway) to take a self-guided walking tour of the Garden District. It was one of the most enjoyable days I've spent anywhere.

I did a lot of walking around the Quarter, too, gawking and chuckling at some of the more outrageous things being offered for sale, sitting in the Café du Monde (which is open air) enjoying the café au lait and beignets, standing and listening to a jazz band playing in Jackson Square, sitting for a tarot card reading from one of the many vendors lined up along the square. One morning I went for the jazz brunch at the Court of Two Sisters, which is also open air. New Orleans is a great city for walking, and there's lots more to do there than just eating and drinking.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
December 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I was beginning to wonder what Carole had done with you!

I can only imagine how much that pained you. :D

Today I was reminded of another reason I dislike dry cold, besides the feeling that my skin is being turned to powder and my lungs are being invaded by needles: STATIC ELECTRICITY!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
December 7th, 2005, 04:07 PM
>we were there in April about 5 years ago for the first time
I would imagine that April and October would be pretty similar, except that the gardens would probably be much more colorful in April!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
December 7th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Not without getting arrested, that's for sure!
Well, I don't know--it is New Orleans, after all. ;)

--Lindsey

Lindsey
December 7th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Mean. Mean mean mean. It's COLD here -- we've already had two light snowfalls and are supposed to get the third on Friday. This is ridiculous. It's barely December. It's not supposed to be this cold and nasty yet! WAHHHH!
On the bright side: It really was beautiful when it was falling here on Monday. It was like sitting in the middle of a Currier & Ives print. And today in the sunshine, it was just gorgeous.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 7th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Well, I don't know--it is New Orleans, after all. ;) Good point...

Judy G. Russell
December 7th, 2005, 08:32 PM
New Orleans is a great city for walking, and there's lots more to do there than just eating and drinking.Let's hope that is as true in the future as it has been in the past...

Judy G. Russell
December 7th, 2005, 08:33 PM
On the bright side: It really was beautiful when it was falling here on Monday. It was like sitting in the middle of a Currier & Ives print. And today in the sunshine, it was just gorgeous.By today here, everything was pretty grey. On Monday, I had my first set of student arguments and had to sweat bullets over whether I would lose judges, students or both to the weather! Snow -- bah humbug!

Jeff
December 8th, 2005, 12:26 PM
All of that sounds really good... except the ~10F part!

Add ~15f or more if you're in the sun. The AirCon in the car, with temp set at 72f, turns on occasionally in the winter. Getting jealous now?

- Jeff

Wayne Scott
December 8th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Mean. Mean mean mean. It's COLD here -- we've already had two light snowfalls and are supposed to get the third on Friday. This is ridiculous. It's barely December. It's not supposed to be this cold and nasty yet! WAHHHH!
I have to point out, in fairness, that last winter we had massive forest fires, mud-slides, floods and other good stuff. I guess that there are awful things happening everywhere.
At least we can all unite in being glad the we don't have waffler John Kerry in the White House during all this trouble.

Proud Member of the VRWC

Wayne Scott
December 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM
By today here, everything was pretty grey. On Monday, I had my first set of student arguments and had to sweat bullets over whether I would lose judges, students or both to the weather! Snow -- bah humbug!
Yeah, I'll take mudslides, I think.

Wayne Scott
December 8th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Most of the time in winter our midday relative humidity is under 20%, usually under 10%.
A really cold day is one with the maximum temperature in the 60's. So far this winter we haven't had a frost at night.
Tomorrow, Friday, Dec. 9, I fly out to visit my lawyer son in Honolulu. I won't worry about frost bite for 10 days.

Hula King

Wayne Scott
December 8th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Buy a humidifier for your house, and threaten to sue your notoriously curmudgeonly boss if he doesn't buy one for the office.

Dry cold is majorly bad. Ask Wayne.
The best policy is never to agree with Lindsey about anything. She is almost always wrong.
Remember that her number of filing cabinets at headquarters of the VWRC is almost as big as MsTrial's.

Judy G. Russell
December 8th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Remember that her number of filing cabinets at headquarters of the VWRC is almost as big as MsTrial's.I'm glad to see I'm maintaining my preeminent status here.

Judy G. Russell
December 8th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Add ~15f or more if you're in the sun. The AirCon in the car, with temp set at 72f, turns on occasionally in the winter. Getting jealous now?I'm usually jealous of where you live! If I have to live in the Snow Belt at all, where you live is my first choice. Sigh... why is there no job market for experts in the arcana of New Jersey law in Colorado...???

Judy G. Russell
December 8th, 2005, 01:21 PM
A really cold day is one with the maximum temperature in the 60's. So far this winter we haven't had a frost at night.Quit bragging.

Tomorrow, Friday, Dec. 9, I fly out to visit my lawyer son in Honolulu. I won't worry about frost bite for 10 days.
Hula KingQUIT BRAGGING!!!

Judy G. Russell
December 8th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I'll take mudslides, I think.Errr... I don't know about that. I don't think we've ever permanently lost a street full of houses because of snow.

Judy G. Russell
December 8th, 2005, 01:23 PM
At least we can all unite in being glad the we don't have waffler John Kerry in the White House during all this trouble.I'm sure the people of Louisiana are just delighted at the non-wafflers they've had to deal with instead. ROFL and LOL and ROFL some more!

lensue
December 9th, 2005, 09:11 AM
>I'm sure the people of Louisiana are just delighted at the non-wafflers they've had to deal with instead. <

Judy, talk about Katrina just yesterday I saw what I consider a really superb show--a NOVA PBS special I had taped previously--dealing with the various government reactions to Katrina on many levels--they showed the history of the levee system and there were diagrams of exactly how the water from Katrina came into the city. They spoke about a meeting and hurricane simulation named PAM they had done the year before but it seems obvious to me the too many many people weren't taking the threat seriously enough.

""The fictional Hurricane Pam was created by Ivor Van Heerden in his supercomputer using data from past storms: wind, rain and storm surge...What became very clear to us was that even a slow-moving Category 3 storm would totally flood New Orleans...This computer simulation was the focus of a 2004 disaster exercise held in Louisiana's capital of Baton Rouge... This was attended by about 300 people from the federal level, from the state level, and they sat together for about eight days and discussed some of the major issues that they would face if there was a catastrophic hurricane that struck New Orleans...The simulation showed New Orleans would be devastated: 61,000 people dead, over 175,000 injured and half a million homeless. On the surface, participants seemed to take the exercise seriously... I think everyone involved, particularly on the local level, understood what we were dealing with, understood what the various roles were, who was going to do what, where, when and how... But underneath there was skepticism...At the Hurricane Pam exercise we had a number of officials who, basically, scoffed at us." Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
December 9th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I haven't seen that particular program but I have read about that simulation exercise. Astounding, isn't it? The only thing it was wrong about -- fortunately -- is the number of dead and injured.

Jeff
December 9th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I'm usually jealous of where you live! If I have to live in the Snow Belt at all, where you live is my first choice. Sigh... why is there no job market for experts in the arcana of New Jersey law in Colorado...???

Bone up on oil and gas and split estate mineral rights law, and come on out. Right here, in Garfield County, it's all about to hit the fan. Or if'n you'd rather criminal law I'm seriously thinking of monkey wrenching in the gas field.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060956445/qid=1134154448/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8430247-1971230?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
December 9th, 2005, 03:57 PM
if'n you'd rather criminal law I'm seriously thinking of monkey wrenching in the gas field.Ah ah ah... as your lawyer (or maybe I will be if you pay me a very large up-front retainer... in cash...), I should tell you what I always advise my clients: never say in advance what you're going to do!

lensue
December 9th, 2005, 05:10 PM
>I haven't seen that particular program <

Judy, it did a great job of showing the history of the levees and showed detailed diagrams. Before those levees it was pointed out that the "defenses used to be provided by Louisiana's wetlands. Before its levees were built, the Mississippi River conveyed tons of silt and soil to the coast each year. Every spring, when the river flooded, the wetlands were strengthened and replenished. These wetlands protected New Orleans against hurricane storm surges, soaking up the violent waters like a sponge, while stands of cypress trees acted as a windbreak. But when levees were built, they kept the river from flooding. The wetlands became starved of new soil and started disappearing at an alarming rate. " This was just one of many fascinating points I was unaware of. Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
December 9th, 2005, 06:25 PM
"The wetlands became starved of new soil and started disappearing at an alarming rate. " This was just one of many fascinating points I was unaware of.Now that I did know. There was a long article in the National Geographic not long ago -- 2002 perhaps -- on the disappearance of the wetlands.

lensue
December 9th, 2005, 10:05 PM
>Now that I did know<

Judy, here was another thing I learned:
"the state built earthen levees, sometimes with prisoner labor. But in 1927, the Mississippi burst her manmade banks, in a catastrophic flood that killed an estimated 500 people and destroyed more than a million homes. Many were in the poorest 9th Ward of New Orleans, where authorities dynamited the levees to prevent flooding elsewhere in the city. It is an event still recalled with bitterness. And it was a turning point as the Army Corps of Engineers took control of the levees." Regards, Len

Lindsey
December 9th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Let's hope that is as true in the future as it has been in the past...
Amen to that.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 9th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Turning point to what, I wonder... since the Corps apparently didn't do much of a better job...

Lindsey
December 9th, 2005, 11:38 PM
>But in 1927, the Mississippi burst her manmade banks, in a catastrophic flood that killed an estimated 500 people and destroyed more than a million homes.
"Six feet of water in the streets of Evangeline (http://www.jayjohnsonmusic.com/GulfCoastVictims.htm)".

If you're willing to endure an online ad to obtain a free day pass to Salon.com, see also http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/09/03/geology/index.html and http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2005/08/30/mcphee/index.html

PBS has also done a documentary (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/flood/) on the 1927 Mississippi Flood.

--Lindsey

lensue
December 10th, 2005, 08:52 AM
>PBS has also done a documentary on the 1927 Mississippi Flood.<

Lindsey, thanks for the references. BTW now it's coming back to me--I saw that PBS program--it was excellent! Regards, Len [g]

lensue
December 10th, 2005, 09:01 AM
>Turning point to what, I wonder<

Judy, well I guess it meant a turning point in who would control the problems and a turning point in building levees, etc. But I guess it took Katrina to show that the policy wouldn't always work. I guess a key question is what to do now? Here are some quotes from the show:

"But some scientists believe that cycles alone do not explain the increase in powerful hurricanes. Studies of global hurricane activity over the last 30 years have shown that although hurricane frequency seems unchanged, the average intensity has increased. The number of Category 4 or 5 storms has almost doubled the bad news here is that the research meteorologists tell us that this active period that we're in could very well last another 10 or 20 years. So my message there is, no matter what, that we're in this active period, and we need to all be prepared...

With its defenses found wanting, New Orleans will have to struggle to be ready for the next assault. All indications are that the levees and floodwalls are not up to the job of protecting the city even from a Category 3 hurricane. There is no money to upgrade them, even though more Category 4 and 5s are expected...

Category 3 protection was not adequate. It's clear to me that if we are going to rebuild the city, that it has to be built on a basis of Category 5 protection. It clearly would have made sense to protect and avoid the federal government spending hundreds of billions of dollars by investing an additional, let's say, two billion dollars in levee protection...

After nearly a century of building levees to control the Mississippi, one idea is to let parts of the river run wild once more. This plan would create a new tributary that would be allowed to flood, deposit silt and rebuild the wetlands. This would cost billions and take as long as 50 years." Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
December 10th, 2005, 12:01 PM
..."All indications are that the levees and floodwalls are not up to the job of protecting the city even from a Category 3 hurricane. There is no money to upgrade them, even though more Category 4 and 5s are expected..."Sigh... why is it so easy to find $80 billion for a war most people question and many more billions for tax decreases for the rich, and yet impossible to find money for things like this????

Jeff
December 10th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Ah ah ah... as your lawyer (or maybe I will be if you pay me a very large up-front retainer... in cash...), I should tell you what I always advise my clients: never say in advance what you're going to do!

What? Think? It's 1984 already? But if'n you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

http://www.thefrown.com/frowners/becomerepublican.swf

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
December 10th, 2005, 03:56 PM
ROFL!!! One of the better ones...

Lindsey
December 10th, 2005, 04:21 PM
http://www.thefrown.com/frowners/becomerepublican.swf

"The WebSense category 'Tasteless' is filtered." <sigh>

--Lindsey

Lindsey
December 10th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Sigh... why is it so easy to find $80 billion for a war most people question and many more billions for tax decreases for the rich, and yet impossible to find money for things like this????
It's very simple; part of the answer is contained within your question. Spending for the war benefits defense contractors, who are big campaign donors (and if you haven't followed the Duke Cunningham saga closely, just know that there is a HUGE corruption scandal involving defense contracting that is threatening to burst out into full view). Tax decreases for the rich benefit...the rich, who are also big campaign donors. The New Orleans levees benefit primarily the people living in the lowest areas, who are (not coincidentally) also the poorest people in the area. They are not big campaign donors. Therefore, the politicians can safely ignore them.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
December 10th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Jeff,

I was about to ask "So who is Edward Abbey?" but Google answered the question (http://www.abbeyweb.net/introduction.html) for me. And now I understand the monkey wrench reference!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 10th, 2005, 06:57 PM
The New Orleans levees benefit primarily the people living in the lowest areas, who are (not coincidentally) also the poorest people in the area. They are not big campaign donors. Therefore, the politicians can safely ignore them.Not to mention that such people generally vote Democratic, and so can be ignored even more safely by Republican politicians.

Jeff
December 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Jeff,

I was about to ask "So who is Edward Abbey?" but Google answered the question (http://www.abbeyweb.net/introduction.html) for me. And now I understand the monkey wrench reference!

--Lindsey

According to the 'legend' no one knows where he's buried because no one can remember because a bunch of his friends held a riotous wake after which they zipped him into a sleeping bag and went out into the desert with shovels at 3am or so.

He wanted to come back as a Turkey Vulture, so as to soar over the desert as they do. Them's those birds.

- Jeff

lensue
December 11th, 2005, 08:39 PM
>and yet impossible to find money for things like this????<

Well I guess New Orleans is different--there are no WMD there! Regards, Len [diving for cover!]

Lindsey
December 11th, 2005, 08:52 PM
He wanted to come back as a Turkey Vulture
LOL! I'm sorry the guy is dead--he sounds like a person worth knowing.

Funny how birds as ugly and repulsive as vultures can be so elegant in flight, isn't it?

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
December 11th, 2005, 11:46 PM
According to the 'legend' no one knows where he's buried because no one can remember because a bunch of his friends held a riotous wake after which they zipped him into a sleeping bag and went out into the desert with shovels at 3am or so.Now that is exactly the kind of funeral I want... 'ceptin' I want to be cremated.

Judy G. Russell
December 11th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Well I guess New Orleans is different--there are no WMD there!Sigh... maybe we can get some Iraqi ex-pats who want to get in good with the Administration to say there are!

rlohmann
December 14th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Roosevelt and the turnip tax are what did it for me. :D

rlohmann
December 14th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I can only imagine how much that pained you. :D It did indeed pain me. I had to send a detailed explanation to the RNC.

Today I was reminded of another reason I dislike dry cold, besides the feeling that my skin is being turned to powder and my lungs are being invaded by needles: STATIC ELECTRICITY!A week ago Saturday I bought a humidifier from Sears for $119 and change that does an extremely nice job. Carole doesn't have "staticky hair" anymore, and I'm no longer worried about frying the motherboard on my machine because of the van de Graff effect of my walking toward it.

Lindsey
December 14th, 2005, 08:46 PM
A week ago Saturday I bought a humidifier from Sears for $119 and change that does an extremely nice job.
Hmmmm, maybe I should consider doing that for my office. (Unfortunately, though, the "architects" put all the electrical outlets in extremely inconvenient places, like behind the bookshelves...)

--Lindsey

fhaber
December 15th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Careful - the piezoelectric humidifiers ("ultrasonic") propagate a good bit of dissolved salts (principally Calcium, in hard-water areas), along with the nice humid fog. This is conductive in high relative humidity, and worse for motherboards than an occasional zap to the computer case.

I'd go with a boiler type, or a wick in the furnace flue, or a spray on the rug. Humidifying methods that don't physically make a spray or fog out of the water don't seem to cause the above problem.

Don't tell Ralph, though. The DNC and the Anarchist-Communist League only put their bugs in the piezo units.

davidh
December 15th, 2005, 01:21 PM
The DNC and the Anarchist-Communist League only put their bugs in the piezo units. With nano-technology maybe they'll be able to make candle wax and candle wicks that act as some kind of transponder / broadcaster. So you'll have to grow your own flax, render your own tallow, chop your own firewood, shoe your own horses, etc. All futile probably, because every person and every domestic animal will have to have implanted RFID tags with couplers/receiver/transmitters that can run off blood sugar or something like that.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Krazy Kwanza, or whatever, I forget.

Lindsey
December 15th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Careful - the piezoelectric humidifiers ("ultrasonic") propagate a good bit of dissolved salts (principally Calcium, in hard-water areas), along with the nice humid fog. This is conductive in high relative humidity, and worse for motherboards than an occasional zap to the computer case.
Oh--ouch! Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

No lack of humidity today--I never saw such rain! (But thank God it wasn't coming down as snow...)

--Lindsey

rlohmann
December 17th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Careful - the piezoelectric humidifiers ("ultrasonic") propagate a good bit of dissolved salts (principally Calcium, in hard-water areas), along with the nice humid fog. This is conductive in high relative humidity, and worse for motherboards than an occasional zap to the computer case.Do I detect a Communist-style gratuitous assumption here? <sneering cheerfully and malevolently>

I'd go with a boiler type, or a wick in the furnace flue, or a spray on the rug. Humidifying methods that don't physically make a spray or fog out of the water don't seem to cause the above problem.As a matter of fact, the Sears humidifier contains no piezoelectric components whatever. A fan blows water from a reservoir through a fiberglass filter into the room. The room, of course is filled with non-Communists. :->

fhaber
December 17th, 2005, 06:18 PM
This fan dips its blades into the blood of the working class^H^H the water tank, and shpritzes same into the fibreglass? Interesting. Is it a fan fan, or a "squirrel cage" affair, and does it rotate to the right or to the left? Careful, your stance will be a matter of record.

rlohmann
December 17th, 2005, 06:42 PM
This fan dips its blades into the blood of the working class^H^H the water tank, and shpritzes same into the fibreglass?Your question has been noted and forwarded to the Proper Authorities for Appropriate Action.
Interesting. Is it a fan fan, or a "squirrel cage" affairA fan fan.
and does it rotate to the right or to the left?<sneering incredulously>

Do you seriously believe that I would have in this house a fan that rotates to the left?

Surely you jest.