Would anyone like to comment on this -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051121/ap_en_tv/tv_body_count

ndebord
November 21st, 2005, 11:15 AM
Would anyone like to comment on this -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051121/ap_en_tv/tv_body_count

Ray,

Your point being?

It is a time of war...blood and guts being spilled on foreign sand and on the concrete sidewalks of NYC. Add in a 24 hour news and entertainment cycle and producers are fighting just as hard for a slice of the market.

Judy G. Russell
November 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM
I find the whole thing distressing, frankly -- violence should be shocking. Making it a ho-hum everyday "I saw that on TV" aspect of life can't be a good thing.

Dan in Saint Louis
November 21st, 2005, 02:46 PM
Making it a ho-hum everyday "I saw that on TV" aspect of life can't be a good thing.

Look for a movie (DVD) "Gunner Palace". I found a copy at a local library.

RayB (France)
November 21st, 2005, 03:38 PM
I find the whole thing distressing, frankly -- violence should be shocking. Making it a ho-hum everyday "I saw that on TV" aspect of life can't be a good thing.

Absolutely. And . . language and gratuitus sex in movies, 'Raves', what is called 'music' these days, etc are leading to, what I call, 'Sensory Saturation'. Pretty soon nobody will react to anything. What a shame. While we seem to be leading the way with this, I can see it creeping into the rest of the Western World, as well. We recieve three sats here which are mostly French, German, British but also a number of other European countries. They aren't near as bad . . . yet. The public goes for it so what can you say?

Lastly, and trust me on this one, we would never, ever be accused of being prudes or 'old-fashioned'.

Judy G. Russell
November 21st, 2005, 09:48 PM
Look for a movie (DVD) "Gunner Palace". I found a copy at a local library.I just read about that being shown at Telluride. Sounds very interesting.

Judy G. Russell
November 21st, 2005, 09:51 PM
I don't think I quite qualify as a prude, but I am a private person, and I do think there are things better done (or left) in private. But while I find gratuitous obscenity or sex annoying or perhaps irritating is a better word, I don't find it shocking, and it doesn't bother me that I don't find it shocking. It would bother me if I didn't find violence shocking.