PDA

View Full Version : Sony caves!

Judy G. Russell
November 18th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I heard on the radio last night that Sony has caved in and agreed to remove its flawed copy-protection software from its CDs and to allow folks who bought the "infected" CDs to exchange them.

I do understand the desire of the artists and their companies to be properly compensated for their work. But putting nasty software on computers without people's knowledge that can be used by hackers is definitely NOT the way to go.

Let's hope everybody comes up with something better than THIS nonsense.

MollyM/CA
November 18th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I'm reading that Sony's patch to remove its rootkit doesn't work, crashes the computer (without doing anything about the rootkit), farkles the computer --take your choice and it depends who you read. The only consensus is that it's not worth what you pay for it (nothing).

So the poor suckers that played a Sony CD during the Reign of the Rootkit are stuck with finding a real removal too. to get rid of the thing.

Judy G. Russell
November 18th, 2005, 08:37 PM
YIPES!!! That's all awful! I hope folks sue the pants off Sony for this bonehead stunt.

ndebord
November 19th, 2005, 12:29 AM
YIPES!!! That's all awful! I hope folks sue the pants off Sony for this bonehead stunt.

Judy,

Well MicroSoft has called SONY's little rootkit spyware and offers a way to remove it (sortof)...

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+will+wipe+Sonys+rootkit/2100-1002_3-5949041.html

Judy G. Russell
November 19th, 2005, 10:44 AM
You can apparently remove the cloaking but not the software itself, without damaging Windows itself. What a nasty nasty piece of work...

lensue
November 19th, 2005, 11:54 AM
>remove<

Judy, talk about remove, I haven't been around here in awhile and I was wondering if when you come to the forum and click new posts you read only the new unread messages and other unread messages you haven't read have been removed from view. Regards, Len

ndebord
November 19th, 2005, 11:56 AM
You can apparently remove the cloaking but not the software itself, without damaging Windows itself. What a nasty nasty piece of work...

Judy,

Yes. I wonder just how you could fix the problem, sans reloading Windows entirely. I hear that Symantec, among others, have fixes of some kind or another too?

Judy G. Russell
November 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I was wondering if when you come to the forum and click new posts you read only the new unread messages and other unread messages you haven't read have been removed from view. Removed from view, yes. Removed from the forum, no. The default for the view is 30 days. You can change that in User CP | Edit Options | Thread Display Options | Default Thread Age Cut Off.

Judy G. Russell
November 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM
There's a lot of work going on to fix this, but I don't think anybody has gotten a complete fix just yet.

lensue
November 19th, 2005, 10:54 PM
>Removed from view, yes. Removed from the forum, no. The default for the view is 30 days. You can change that <

Judy, thanks for the info--I prefer right now to keep it just as it is--I think I'll find it less confusing to just hit new posts each time I enter the Tap Room and see the new messages. I found out that the Tap Room was still going strong from a CS garden club member who was on a cruise recently with you--sounds like it was nice. Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
November 20th, 2005, 12:13 AM
I found out that the Tap Room was still going strong from a CS garden club member who was on a cruise recently with you--sounds like it was nice.The cruise was terrific, except that it taught me how very much I do not yet know about genealogy. Sigh... and I'd been feeling pretty cocky too. But better to learn all kinds of neat new things while floating around on calm seas under a warm sun!

lensue
November 20th, 2005, 06:20 AM
>The cruise was terrific, except <

Judy, the people I heard from said there were just too many lectures to attend and they didn't have enough free time to explore the islands--which islands did you dock at? Sue and I were on only one cruise where we got to see many islands in the Carribean for the first time--they were superb. We didn't like the way we were herded back to the cruise around 4:30 nearly every day right while we were in the middle of exploring these beautiful tropical paradises. Once on board the temptation to just keep feasting was agonizing! Regards, Len [g]

Judy G. Russell
November 20th, 2005, 10:42 AM
the people I heard from said there were just too many lectures to attend and they didn't have enough free time to explore the islands--which islands did you dock at?Well, I suppose that's a matter of whether you looked at this as a cruise with lectures or as a conference on a cruise ship. I went because I desperately want to learn more about family history research before running off to try to find more original records (and then trying to figure out what they mean). So the stops we made (Grand Cayman, Belize City and Costa Maya) were the add-on to a fantastic genealogy conference, rather than the other way around for me.

lensue
November 20th, 2005, 11:07 AM
>Grand Cayman, Belize City and Costa Maya<

Judy, these sound so exotic! I never even heard of Costa Maya. Did you encounter any trouble from the hurricanes? Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
November 20th, 2005, 11:30 AM
>Grand Cayman, Belize City and Costa Maya<
Judy, these sound so exotic! I never even heard of Costa Maya. Did you encounter any trouble from the hurricanes? Regards, LenSomehow, with a twist of luck I usually don't encounter, we missed all of the storms: Wilma was long gone and TS 29 hadn't started up yet. But we were supposed to have docked at Cozumel, and that stop was cancelled due to Wilma, and the water at Costa Maya (in Mexico) was very murky and a bit... er... smelly (the reef was badly damaged by Wilma and dead ocean stuff is not pleasant).

Lindsey
November 21st, 2005, 12:00 AM
Len,

"New messages" means "new since my last session" regardless of what you have or haven't read. If you don't read all of the new messages in one sitting, you lose the automatic tracking of them. You'd need to use search to find what had been posted after some earlier date, but of course, that would include what you had already read as well as what you hadn't.

--Lindsey