PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 1.5 --> It's Soup!

Mike Landi
November 17th, 2005, 07:15 PM
As of 11/17, Firefox 1.5 is done. No longer beta or release candidate.

If anyone was holding off on FF1.5 because it was not quite done, your wait is over!

I find 1.5 a significant step up. One new feature that I really like is the ability to force web pages that want to open in a new window to open in a new tab. Very handy. Also, FF1.5 is about 15% faster than 1.07, IMHO. <g>

Judy G. Russell
November 18th, 2005, 10:08 AM
HOORAY!!! I'll start playing with it at work. (Better than working!)

Judy G. Russell
November 18th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Uhoh... it ain't soup yet. I just looked at the Mozilla.org site and today's release is still a Release Candidate (#3).

Mike Landi
November 21st, 2005, 09:13 AM
HOORAY!!! I'll start playing with it at work. (Better than working!)

Well..... FF pulled a fast one me. The Help, About in the new version does not say "RC3" or "beta", but the FF web site now calls it RC3.

I still recommend it, but I wish they would have labeled it clearer.

Judy G. Russell
November 21st, 2005, 11:54 AM
NBD, and suggests they almost went with it but saw something at the last minute that made them slap the RC3 label on it.

Mike Landi
November 21st, 2005, 11:58 AM
NBD, and suggests they almost went with it but saw something at the last minute that made them slap the RC3 label on it.

You may be right. That, or someone had a better idea for announcing the actual release.

Dan in Saint Louis
November 30th, 2005, 11:03 AM
As of 11/17, Firefox 1.5 is done. No longer beta or release candidate.
Now it is! Released yesterday, and working just fine.

Mike Landi
November 30th, 2005, 09:12 PM
...and it seems that the release I got turned out to be the gold release. RC3 became 1.5. My build is dated "20051111". What does yours say?

Dan in Saint Louis
December 1st, 2005, 09:28 AM
My build is dated "20051111". What does yours say?
Yep! One would think that updating the date code would give users some confidence that they really do have the public release, but then I am not a programmer nor do I play one on TV.

One might also wonder, if the build date is the same, why an update package was downloaded to update my RC3 to the public release?

Gary Maltzen
December 1st, 2005, 05:11 PM
One might also wonder, if the build date is the same, why an update package was downloaded to update my RC3 to the public release?
Probably just to change the designation from RC3 to (GA)?