PDA

View Full Version : Tapcis on Compuserve: Farewell

Judy G. Russell
June 1st, 2005, 02:08 PM
The Tapcis Forum on Compuserve is now completely closed.

I am so glad we had time to get this new forum up and running beforehand, but the loss of our old home will always be a sad thing.

MarteB
June 1st, 2005, 03:21 PM
Farewell to the master. *sigh*

rlohmann
June 1st, 2005, 03:25 PM

I am so glad we had time to get this new forum up and running beforehand, but the loss of our old home will always be a sad thing.
Depends on how you look at it. You'll recall that we lost LAWSIG many years ago.

What Compuserve provided was the opportunity for some extraordinarily diverse people (Lindsey and me, e.g., :) ) would meet and hit it off. What you're doing now is simply picking up the ball that Compuserve dropped.

So much the worse for Compuserve.

Ralph

davidh
June 1st, 2005, 03:32 PM
Farewell to the master. *sigh*

Me too?

Grasshopper

Judy G. Russell
June 1st, 2005, 03:42 PM
The loss of Lawsig was also sad... sigh... if H&R Block had ever understood what it had...

MollyM/CA
June 1st, 2005, 06:23 PM
Yep, c'est fini. The rest is...

Yaaaay! No more Compuserve for me!!

But I was very sad to retire the T6 icon from the center of my screen to the "miscUtilities" folder on the side. It's been there ever since the first day I had a Windows computer.

Judy G. Russell
June 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM
.I was very sad to retire the T6 icon from the center of my screen to the "miscUtilities" folder on the side. It's been there ever since the first day I had a Windows computer.
That's been the hardest part of all this... but you could create a shortcut to your web browser and this forum, y'know... and use the Tapcis logo icon!

MollyM/CA
June 1st, 2005, 06:36 PM
but you could create a shortcut to your web browser and this forum, y'know... and use the Tapcis logo icon!

I thought that was such a silly idea I was afraid to ask the question*. Come to think of it, I could make TapCis my home page, couldn't I...

*HOW?

Dan in Saint Louis
June 1st, 2005, 07:19 PM
*HOW?Do you have a little blue T6 icon to the left of the URL in the Address bar? Just drag it to the desktop, the Start Menu, on some browsers even the Personal Toolbar.

Judy G. Russell
June 1st, 2005, 08:35 PM
Dan's suggestion of dragging the icon from the location bar (where the URL is) to your desktop is exactly right -- but make sure you're at the forum homepage (http://www.tapcis.com/forums) when you do that. Otherwise, if you were to do it while reading this message, for example, the link would be to this message and not to the forum.

Jeff
June 2nd, 2005, 01:14 PM

Yes indeedee. For me, the epitaph:

#: 0 S0/Announcement
01-Jun-05 17:23:20
Sb: !Announcement
Fm: TAPCIS Online
To: Jeff Gulliford 71333,1375

CLOSED Forum

Greetings, SYSOP!

Hello, Sysop Jeff Gulliford

Some time between 1 and 5 they finally administered the coup de grāce.
"... some with a gun, and some with a fountain pen..."

Judy G. Russell
June 2nd, 2005, 01:17 PM
<Sigh>...

rlohmann
June 2nd, 2005, 04:38 PM
H&R Block was a bunch of accountants. As a lawyer, you are compelled to think about accountants from time to time.

You may not enjoy the process, but....

Judy G. Russell
June 2nd, 2005, 04:51 PM
As a lawyer I spent most of my career as a prosecutor... and when prosecutors think about accountants.......

ndebord
June 4th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Judy,

We've gotta stop calling it the Tapcis Forum on CompuServe. Thanks to [folks there], it has become the AOL trough instead, ill-suited to the tastes, talents and smarts of Compuserve forum users.

Judy G. Russell
June 4th, 2005, 08:14 AM
But it's our collective Compuserve experience that we're mourning, Nick (and please check your private messages re: the edit).

ndebord
June 4th, 2005, 10:48 AM
But it's our collective Compuserve experience that we're mourning, Nick (and please check your private messages re: the edit).

Judy,

That too. I remember sysoping in AutoSig and Emailcom and hanging out in Tapcis with tons of threaded messages to go through answer offline. Before that I used a macro in {Commo} to do things that made the monthly nut bearable. I shudder when I think about the kind of money I was willing to pay out to H.R. Block!

<g>

Judy G. Russell
June 4th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I was soooooo lucky myself. The second computer I bought for myself came with Compuserve software and a modem. That was just before Christmas 1990. (A superfast wowee 286, as I recall!).

At the time, I had three brothers in uniform, the first President Bush was gearing up to the first Iraq war, and I was looking for some source of comfort. I found it, the first day I logged on, in Shel Hall's Gulfwar Forum.

About 48 hours after my first post, I got a private message from Shel. He thanked me for my posts, urged me to stick around, but warned me about the costs of online time (as I recall, at the time I had a 2400 baud modem and it was something like $12 an hour). And he told me about this wonder program -- Tapcis.

And I never looked back.

ndebord
June 5th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Judy,

{COMMO} was my tool of choice with a DataVue Spark laptop with 2 720 Floppy Disk drives and a 2400 baud modem. I can't remember, but I had some other service prior to The Grey Lady and a macro inside {COMMO} to handle it. I quickly moved over to CIS and used yet another macro in {COMMO} to handle the ascii interface. After some initial reluctance to move past {COMMO}, I found AutoSig which made me very, very happy. When they dumped the ASCII interface, I lost my 7xxxx ID in protest. Quickly swallowed my pride and came back, this time to the Tapcis Forum where I made my home until this latest round of software appeared.

My first computer was after 'Nam, in 1968. Not mine, Government issue UNIVAC 1040 with punch cards and a very nice little row of TTYs. Could type faster than the tape could be fed, which made me very popular for handling Flash traffic. Really a nice gig after my overseas bit, but gotta say, Ft. Campbell is not exactly my idea of the reincarnation of the Garden of Eden!

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Ft. Campbell is not exactly my idea of the reincarnation of the Garden of Eden!
It could have been worse... Fort Hood, for example...

MollyM/CA
June 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I'll be darned. I'd never in a million years have thought that I could drag that thingamajig to the desktop! Or anywhere but the toolbar. Thanks (and Judy, I did note your amplification --thanks to you, too.)

Lindsey
June 9th, 2005, 11:48 PM
the first President Bush was gearing up to the first Iraq war
Yeah, that's about the time I came to CompuServe. I cannot for the life of me remember from where or from who I first found out about TAPCIS, but I had switched to it within no more than a month of the time I signed up for CompuServe. (I remember using version 1.0 of CIM and thinking "There must be a better way." I had spent some time on a local BBS prior to that, where I had learned to use SLMR -- "Silly Little Mail Reader" -- which allowed you to batch up your message board posts, and I figured there had to be something like that for CompuServe. As it turned out, there was something even better!!)

--Lindsey

MarteB
June 10th, 2005, 03:01 AM
I found it, the first day I logged on, in Shel Hall's Gulfwar Forum.
Shel asked me to come post in that forum--I guess he thought I could hold my own against all comers. All in all, he was right. :)

I remember laughing till I cried when one of the pro-war historical illiterates stoutly asserted that I could never join the DAR even though my grandmother was a member, because obviously my parents weren't married.

Judy G. Russell
June 10th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I had never used any online software (or even been online) before that, so I was (and am and will always be) grateful to Shel for the push in the right direction. (I shudder to imagine what my usage bill would have been otherwise!)

Judy G. Russell
June 10th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I remember laughing till I cried when one of the pro-war historical illiterates stoutly asserted that I could never join the DAR even though my grandmother was a member, because obviously my parents weren't married.
ROFL!!! Oh my... that's priceless...

davidh
June 22nd, 2005, 08:36 PM
Just finished cleaning out my TAPCIS MSG files and saving a few messages as TXT files, then wiped TAPCIS totally off my system. Sad. Doubt I'll ever use a messaging program again that is so easy and powerful. :-(

David H.

Judy G. Russell
June 23rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
Sigh... I don't know that I'll ever bring myself to totally wipe out Tapcis. Except that we may soon get a beta program to convert Tapcis mail to the format for Eudora etc....

Lindsey
June 23rd, 2005, 09:54 PM
TAPCIS is still a darned good reader for all of those message files! I don't know anything that has as good a filter as TAPCIS's view feature.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 23rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Frankly, I don't know of anything either, though Eudora comes close.

Mike
June 24th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Thunderbird allows the user to create a bunch of custom views, along with a bunch of views already built in.

davidh
June 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I don't know that I'll ever bring myself to totally wipe out Tapcis.

I sort of had to erase mine. Otherwise, I'd probably just have opened up the program now and then and accomplished nothing except to make myself feel sad.

David H.

Judy G. Russell
June 24th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Hey, nostalgia is a sweet emotion every so often...

davidh
June 24th, 2005, 05:32 PM
nostalgia is a sweet emotion

I don't want to cry in my beer. Low salt diet.

David H.

Judy G. Russell
June 24th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I don't want to cry in my beer. Low salt diet.
ROFL! That's fair enough!

Wayne Scott
June 24th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I sort of like a little dash of salt in my Negra Modelo.

Curm. Hic!

Guerri Stevens
June 24th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Frankly, I don't know of anything either, though Eudora comes close.
Speaking of TAPCIS - one thing that drives me nuts with the vBulletin software is the handling of the thread tree in the combined view. If I scroll down the tree to the first unread message and click on it, when I'm done reading that section of the tree, the tree itself is back at the top and I have to scroll down again to find the next unread section. Maybe there's an easier way, but the TAPCIS small index at the top was perfect. Not to mention that you could easily navigate back to the parent message. Not to mention the book marks. (sigh)

Lindsey
June 24th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Thunderbird allows the user to create a bunch of custom views, along with a bunch of views already built in.
Well, for that matter, Outlook allows you to create views, but its filter facility is not nearly as flexible as the one in TAPCIS.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 24th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I know... I'm hoping the next version of the software fixes some of this stuff. Gads, Tapcis was just so... so... so perfect.

Judy G. Russell
June 24th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I've never liked salt with my drinks, beer or otherwise. I always end up forgetting when I order a margarita and spend the first 30 seconds or so carefully wiping the salt OFF the rim.

Mike
June 25th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I find Thunderbird's views to be pretty easy. One sets up filters similarly to the way one sets the filters for the rules that process incoming mail.

See the attachments for examples of the criteria that can be selected--not as extensive as TAPCIS', but still pretty flexible.

Lindsey
June 26th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks; I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever in the market for yet another e-mail program.

--Lindsey