PDA

View Full Version : OLR folks knocked on CIS

Peter Creasey
June 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
deleted

Judy G. Russell
June 1st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Ignore it and let it go. For some reason, some people, usually newbies to the online world and totally without a sense of the history of the online community (and this poster is one of them), have been uniformly negative towards OLR users and their contributions towards Compuserve. You're not going to change their mind, and there's no benefit in fighting that battle any more. It's not as if anyone is using OLRs there any more (except in closed and adult forums).

Peter Creasey
June 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM
>> Ignore it and let it go. <<

Judy, I went on and deleted the text of my message here. I couldn't figure out how to delete the whole message...perhaps you will do it.

Judy G. Russell
June 1st, 2005, 02:02 PM
No need... the point that we all need to let is go and move on is still a good one. We have a new home here. That's the key.

davidh
June 1st, 2005, 03:05 PM
The positive angle to me is that Mozilla.org now has
cross platform open source Mozilla and Thunderbird email
programs which are quite powerful OLR's even if one ignores
the fact that they support NNTP and RSS protocols.
David H.

Judy G. Russell
June 1st, 2005, 03:44 PM
I'm very encouraged by the number of truly first class cross platform open source efforts going on.

Peter Creasey
June 1st, 2005, 04:03 PM
>> Mozilla.org now has cross platform open source Mozilla and Thunderbird email
programs which are quite powerful OLR's <<

David, Certainly true as many of us have appreciated with our usage of Mozilla Suite, etc. for email processing. I was pretty much forced away from using OzWin for email as something (probably ZoneAlarm) ruined my OzWin access on one of my primary PCs.

MollyM/CA
June 1st, 2005, 04:56 PM
On the other hand, if you are online most the time anyway, the "live" forums are a lot of fun if running on decent software --lots of opportunities for expression :D

or custom, if you can figure out how "insert image" works...

and variety

links Feghoots (http://www.awpi.com/Combs/Shaggy/index.html)

and if you eschew all that stuff you have a nice big window to type your text into.

I do miss not being able to leave and sit on unsent messages until they're ready to hatch, though.

Judy G. Russell
June 1st, 2005, 05:06 PM
I do miss not being able to leave and sit on unsent messages until they're ready to hatch, though.
That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Lindsey
June 1st, 2005, 10:22 PM
And not being able to pull down a whole bunch of messages and then read and reply to them while you're sitting in an airport terminal, or riding on a train, when you're not online.

I had forgotten you were in California; where in California? (You can reply by private message if you want.) I'll be attending an annual conference in Westlake Village for the next few years, probably. I don't suppose you'd be anywhere in the general vicinity of Ventura County?

--Lindsey

MarteB
June 2nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
I don't suppose you'd be anywhere in the general vicinity of Ventura County?
If Molly isn't, I am. :)

Lindsey
June 3rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
If Molly isn't, I am. :)
Oh, I will remember that the next time I am out there!!

--Lindsey

BrucePatterson
September 16th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Can I access this forum with NNTP? I'm using Outlook Express as my OLR on my new forum at Republicanforum.com (http://www.Republicanforum.com).

davidh
September 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Can I access this forum with NNTP? I'm using Outlook Express as my OLR on my new forum at Republicanforum.com (http://www.Republicanforum.com). Some bulletin board server side softwares may or may not have the ability to add-on RSS feed publishing. But I doubt there is significant desire on the part of members of this forum to justify the effort that would be required by our glorious leader(s) to peform this feat.

FWIW, some RSS feed readers do have OLR capabilities, but I forget which ones do so.

FWIW, I believe the nomisoft [sp?] and simpilot CIS forums moved off CIS and onto their own web site and may have NNTP support, but I doubt the traffic there is heavy.

DH

BrucePatterson
September 16th, 2006, 04:52 PM
FWIW, I believe the nomisoft [sp?] and simpilot CIS forums moved off CIS and onto their own web site and may have NNTP support, but I doubt the traffic there is heavy.

DH

David,

My two forums are on the Nommisoft server and working great! Simon is the programmer and he's getting traffic on his forums. They support Virtual Access and any newsreader. I'm using Outlook Express with some success.

Bruce

Judy G. Russell
September 16th, 2006, 09:46 PM
No call for it at the moment, Bruce.

BrucePatterson
September 16th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I gotta tell you, this is really slick. It's just like the old Tapcis days. A few missing features, but a few new ones. No sysop tools, but At least I can read and reply to messages at 30,000 feet again!

Bruce

Judy G. Russell
September 18th, 2006, 05:14 PM
We're doing fine here at the moment, thanks.

MollyM/CA
September 19th, 2006, 06:32 PM
San Joaquin County just north of the Stanislaus County line, but Ventura County's not all that much of a drive in my new 4Runner, and has lots to explore. Give me a heads-up --maybe we can have a TapFest.

BrucePatterson
September 19th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah, OLRs! I just got mine back! Well, ok it's not Tapcis, but it works pretty well. I download messages read and reply on the plane and then upload them later, pretty slick!

It's called outlook express and it works with my new forum at republicanforum.com which is on the simpilot network server.

Bruce