View Full Version : Quiz

RayB (France)
November 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Here is one for you 'Boomers':

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9926682/site/newsweek/

Have fun!

Guerri Stevens
November 11th, 2005, 07:36 PM
I don't recommend this, although it's interesting, unless you have a high-speed connection. The questions are presented one at a time, and the surrounding ads and other material are reloaded with each question. Very slow on my dial-up connection.

Jeff
November 12th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Here is one for you 'Boomers':

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9926682/site/newsweek/

Have fun!

There was a there there then, and I was there, and I don't remember any of it. That is the true badge of a boomer, or at least an early one who was really a hippie.

Judy G. Russell
November 14th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I fell right in the middle of the bell curve -- got most of the "serious" questions right and almost all of the entertainment questions wrong.

rlohmann
November 14th, 2005, 06:28 PM
So did I.

One question I had to guess at was easy: Whose was the longest inaugural address of the 20th Century?

Are you surprised that I got it right?

:->

Judy G. Russell
November 14th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I got that one right too... and laughed about it. You, I presume, cried.

RayB (France)
November 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I fell right in the middle of the bell curve -- got most of the "serious" questions right and almost all of the entertainment questions wrong.

Same here. I ended up with 42%.

rlohmann
November 15th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Not at all. I was reminded of Edward Everett at Gettysburg, and sneered contentedly.

chm
November 15th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Ha! : )

I guessed the same - knowing how Bill likes to go on.

chm

chm
November 15th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks!

I put it on my website, too.

This quiz was harder than I thought it'd be. My score? 55%, a little ahead of the curve. Yes, I did some guessing.

chm (born 1950)

Judy G. Russell
November 15th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I was only a little higher -- 46 or 47% as I recall.

Judy G. Russell
November 15th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I suspect Clinton may be remembered by more than Everett ever will be...

RayB (France)
November 16th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I was only a little higher -- 46 or 47% as I recall.

In the '60s I was in my '30s and busy trying to build a career and raise a family so I just didn't notice.

Judy G. Russell
November 16th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I'm a tad younger than you are, then. I didn't turn 21 until after the 60s were history.

RayB (France)
November 17th, 2005, 03:11 AM
I'm a tad younger than you are, then. I didn't turn 21 until after the 60s were history.

Well, I DO make allowances for you kids! Gotta keep Curm around though cause he even beats me by an even decade.

rlohmann
November 17th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Of that there is no doubt in my finely honed legal mind. :)

<sneering cheerfully>

Wayne Scott
November 17th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Well, I DO make allowances for you kids! Gotta keep Curm around though cause he even beats me by an even decade.
Since my 2 oldest children are too old to be boomers, I took this figuring I would miss everything. I scored a 52 which was on the high side of the bell curve. I missed almost every rock musician question. The Clinton inaugural was not the first time he set a record for loving his own voice. He also delivered the longest keynote address in history. . . by far the longest.
Kids like the Marchgrave and the Bell Ringer and our beloved MsTrial just should all have whipped the geezer by a lot.

Curm

Judy G. Russell
November 18th, 2005, 10:05 AM
And we shall see (or can hope we do... we ain't neither of us spring chickens...) just how he is remembered.

Judy G. Russell
November 18th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Kids like the Marchgrave and the Bell Ringer and our beloved MsTrial just should all have whipped the geezer by a lot.The problem is that I didn't get ANY of the non-serious questions right (well, maybe one or two) and missed a couple of the serious ones. Sigh...

Judy G. Russell
November 18th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Well, I DO make allowances for you kids!Sigh... I got an email recently from my Uncle David calling me a kid. I liked that. There are, regretfully, fewer and fewer people around who can (or do).

lensue
November 19th, 2005, 08:09 AM
>Here is one for you 'Boomers':<

Ray, I subscribe to Newsweek and I found that whole article quite interesting. It's amazing how you can forget things as the years pass. Just a few weeks ago I had been watching an American Experience show I had taped from PBS on Patty Hearst--I had forgotten that she had been pardoned by Jimmy Carter and alot of the other details about her past as well. Regards, Len

lensue
November 19th, 2005, 08:29 AM
> I DO make allowances for you kids! <

Ray, this sounds a little like that famous quote of Reagan during his second debate with Mondale: ""I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." Regards, Len [g]

RayB (France)
November 19th, 2005, 04:07 PM
> I DO make allowances for you kids! <

Ray, this sounds a little like that famous quote of Reagan during his second debate with Mondale: ""I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." Regards, Len [g]

Welllll . . . . let me put it this way . . . . . 'Yep'! There are a few of us 'Septu's' around. There is Earle, BobK and me. Then, of course, the one and only Curm who is without a doubt 'High-Octane . . . . and leaded'.

lensue
November 19th, 2005, 10:50 PM
> There is Earle, BobK and me. Then, of course, the one and only Curm <

Ray, this is an awesome supply of fire power! I better watch my P's and Q's--that's of course short for PUNS and QUIPS! Regards, Len [g]

RayB (France)
November 20th, 2005, 04:19 AM
> There is Earle, BobK and me. Then, of course, the one and only Curm <

Ray, this is an awesome supply of fire power! I better watch my P's and Q's--that's of course short for PUNS and QUIPS! Regards, Len [g]

Well, let's just say we have been around-the-block more that once or twice and know how to cut through the BS. Each generation thinks they have re-invented the world . . . . . we know better. I could give you some examples but it is a gorgeous, winter, Sunday morning and I am looking out the French doors at the fields white with frost and the sun turning them back to lush green and sipping my second cup of coffee. For some reason, I'm just not in the mood.

lensue
November 20th, 2005, 06:13 AM
> Each generation thinks they have re-invented the world . . . . . we know better. I could give you some examples ... I'm just not in the mood<

Ray, I don't blame you for wanting to take advantage of the weather--with my gardening interests I try to do that all the time. We'll be heading to Florida in Jan to take advantage of the weather we enjoy for gardens and birdwatching.

However if you get a chance I'd like to hear some of the examples you have. Just yesterday I was watching a show on PBS which dealt with innovations in science and the examples they showed with graphic incredible footage were IMO pretty darn close to a reinvention of medical science.

"Once the stuff of science fiction, bionic devices are quickly becoming integrated into medical practice and transforming human lives. As bioengineering becomes more sophisticated, researchers are developing novel devices that allow individuals with certain physical impairments to regain independence and better interact with the world.

1. Restoring Vision
The next field poised to make a leap forward concerns vision. Researchers are progressing with several approaches toward transmitting information from outside the body to the part of the brain responsible for vision -- the visual cortex. With the goal of restoring limited vision to the blind, the technology involves the use of tiny chips and wires attached to delicate tissue such as the retina and the visual cortex, converting light into electrical impulses that can be interpreted as images.

2. Erik Ax rides a stationary bike with his osseointegrated prosthesis.

Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
November 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Keep in mind, Len, that OUR generation isn't exactly a bunch of spring chickens any more and that we are due as much credit for many of the fantastic advances of the past quarter century as anyone else. We Boomers like to think of ourselves as "the kids" but we're not -- we're all racing willy-nilly towards retirement!

lensue
November 20th, 2005, 11:04 AM
>OUR generation isn't exactly a bunch of spring chickens any more and that we are due as much credit for many of the fantastic advances of the past quarter century as anyone else.<

Judy, I agree and that's why I asked Ray if he could elaborate on what he said about this here reinventing--of course after he fully enjoys his day in the beautiful weather! [g]

> we're all racing willy-nilly towards retirement!<

No race for me--I've been here for about 6 years now--Sue for 8! Regards, Len [g]

Judy G. Russell
November 20th, 2005, 11:28 AM
> we're all racing willy-nilly towards retirement!<
No race for me--I've been here for about 6 years now--Sue for 8! Regards, Len [g]And the sooner, the better for me!

RayB (France)
November 21st, 2005, 04:45 AM
**However if you get a chance I'd like to hear some of the examples you have.**

I wasn't referring to scientific things, Len. I was thinking more of political, behavioral and psychological things. And I am still not in the mood. (g)

lensue
November 21st, 2005, 06:26 AM
>I was thinking more of political, behavioral and psychological things. <

Ray, ah, now I get yuh! Well the partisan battles going on right now definitely remind me of the days when there were fistfights in the Halls of Congress. Hey, maybe we'll get a Burr/Hamilton type duel. Regards, Len [g]