PDA

View Full Version : Trick, Treat, or Sue

rlohmann
October 31st, 2005, 04:08 PM
It being Hallowe'en and all that, Judy and I will be putting on dark suits with white shirts/blouses this evening, picking up our briefcases, and going out and terrorizing our neighborhoods. :cool:

Judy G. Russell
October 31st, 2005, 04:42 PM
Not to mention presenting each trick-or-treater with a litigation release form...

rlohmann
October 31st, 2005, 05:56 PM
:)

Peter Creasey
October 31st, 2005, 07:59 PM
It being Hallowe'en and all that, Judy and I will be putting on dark suits with white shirts/blouses this evening, picking up our briefcases, and going out and terrorizing our neighborhoods.

Ralph, Perhaps not if you were here in Houston. Only the brave ones were out with umbrellas braving the elements (read rain, lightning, and thunder) here in our neighborhood.

We felt very sad for all of the children who surely are SO disappointed. (Plus we have loads of candy we had planned and hoped to give away.).

Can I send some of the candy to you and Judy???

Judy G. Russell
October 31st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Can I send some of the candy to you and Judy???If it's chocolate, the answer is yes and Ralph doesn't need any -- send it all to ME!!!

RayB (France)
November 1st, 2005, 07:16 AM
If it's chocolate, the answer is yes and Ralph doesn't need any -- send it all to ME!!!

ATTA GIRL!! Go for it!

Peter Creasey
November 1st, 2005, 08:56 AM
If it's chocolate, the answer is yes and Ralph doesn't need any -- send it all to ME!!!

Judy, The funny thing is that JoAnne always buys a variety of (mostly chocolate) candies for trick or treaters, including Butterfingers. But we always hold back the Butterfingers for our own "treats". So sorry, kids!

Judy G. Russell
November 1st, 2005, 09:32 AM
Judy, The funny thing is that JoAnne always buys a variety of (mostly chocolate) candies for trick or treaters, including Butterfingers. But we always hold back the Butterfingers for our own "treats". So sorry, kids!That seems perfectly reasonable to me!

Sigh... this year I knew I wouldn't be home on Halloween at all (I teach on Monday nights and don't get home until about 10 p.m.) so I didn't buy any Halloween candy. I'm sure missing it today... nothing "extra" to toss into my lunch sack.

davidh
November 8th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Not to mention presenting each trick-or-treater with a litigation release form...

If this were actually implemented, what would be the "routine"?

1. require valid ID from trick or treater?

2. signature of minor witnesses acceptable or adult witnesses required?

3. RFID tags needed in wrappers?

4. biometrics ?

Just curious.

Trying to figure out whether I fall into the category of paranoid or terrorist,

David H.

Judy G. Russell
November 14th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Hmmm... I have a suspicion it would send the kids away screaming, provided they could read well enough to understand what it was. But if it didn't, I'm sure they'd do so once I got to the point (reading aloud, of course) of the party of the second part...

rlohmann
November 14th, 2005, 06:00 PM
All of the above.

(Why do you think we chose three-piece suits as a way of scaring our neighbors?)

rlohmann
November 14th, 2005, 06:01 PM
I've been away for a few days, but if Judy hasn't already demanded that you send her all the chocolate, I suggest that you do so immediately, if not sooner. :)

ndebord
November 14th, 2005, 08:08 PM

Judy,

Too bad... I ran out of butterfingers and Hershey Kisses and other chocolate stuff on Halloween fairly early on. I ignored the doorbell after that, but one particular family was persistent in their ringing and as I looked out I saw what looked either like triplets or a very busy mom with 3 adorable daughters. My wife had made truffles that night for a family party and we had enough, so I went out and gave out four of them to this very nice family that came out a tad later than just about everyone else!

<g>

Judy G. Russell
November 14th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Truffles???? And you didn't send ME any?????

Judy G. Russell
November 14th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I always knew there was something I liked about you.

Wayne Scott
November 17th, 2005, 09:06 PM
About 25-30 years ago, Marion went to the door to find 5-6 males, all over 70" in height, and all with lots of melanin in their skins. She had our large salad bowl of candy in her hand. One of the darling tots said,
"We don't wont no candy. We wont money, baby."
Marion slammed the door and turned off the outside lights.
Since then Halloween has been a night to get home before dark. Turn out all the outside lights and lights in rooms visible from the street (our den is in the rear of the house) and just wait until morning to survery the damage. In all these years there has been no damage except one year when we were tp'ed.
Curm (guess how I got this nickname)

Wayne Scott
November 17th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Just as a matter of curiosity, do you have See's Candy stores in Joisey?

Judy G. Russell
November 18th, 2005, 10:03 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about that, Wayne -- but that is unfortunately all too common (and has nothing to do with melanin, in many cases, but does seem around here to have a lot to do with being male, and more than 70" in height)... On those Halloweens when I am home, I am perfectly willing to hand out candy to kids in costumes. (The big male teenagers usually don't even wear costumes even during the daylight.)

But after dark, I turn out the lights and retreat to the upstairs computer room myself.

Judy G. Russell
November 18th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Only one See's in NJ, at a mall north of where I live, and the website says it's for "prepackaged goods only".