PDA

View Full Version : [Dixonary] Round 2858 (UBIETY) Results

Efrem G Mallach
December 19th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Folks,

Sorry about the late results. The dinner guests I mentioned earlier stayed later than I had expected. I'm not complaining, I enjoy being with them, but it did cause a delay in this department.

This round combined two pairs of definitions: those from Chris Carson and Judy Madnick (nos. 13 and 14 on the list below) were combined into def. #5, and those from John Barrs and the dictionary (nos. 15 and 16 on the list) were combined into def. #12. That was, of course, the highest-numbered definition that went out for voting; higher numbers are just to keep tabs on individual scores. So, you voted (or didn't vote) for #5 or #12, but the votes were allocated to two other submitters. Looking at the individual scores below should clarify this. It will also show the original definitions that were combined.

Anyhow, the next dealer is Tim Lodge, whose "a sense of superiority over others" got six votes. Combined with his voting for the correct definition, his score of 8 stood alone. Runners-up and traditional "winnahs" were John Barrs and the dictionary, whose definitions were, as noted, combined.

Full results:

1. presence of mind. From Shefler, M. who voted 10, 11. Voted for by: Naylor, S.; Cunningham, D.; Madnick, J. Score: 3.

2. single-mindedness. From Naylor, S. who voted 1, 3. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

3. extreme indecision. From Hale, K. who voted 4, 9. Voted for by: Naylor, S. Score: 1.

4. a sense of superiority over others. From Lodge, T. who voted 5, *12*. Voted for by: Hale, K.; Shepherdson, N.; Bourne, T.; Stevens, G.; Carson, C.; McGill, R. Score: 8.

5. superfluity; excess; overabundance. Combined from 13 & 14. Scores shown under those numbers, which did not appear on the definition sheet.

6. the reciprocal of the radius of curvature. From Abell, T. who voted 9, *12*. Voted for by: Widdis, D. Score: 3.

7. the number of openings per linear inch of a screen. From Widdis, D. who voted 6, 9. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

8. the act of deserting or leaving behind a place or person. From Shepherdson, N. who voted 4, 13. Voted for by: Stevens, G. Score: 1.

9. the quality of being everywhere, omnipresence [Lat. _ubi_] From Cunningham, D. who voted 1, *12*. Voted for by: Hale, K.; Abell, T.; Widdis, D. Score: 5.

10. the ability to be comfortable worshiping with those of any faith. From Bourne, T. who voted 4, *12*. Voted for by: Shefler, M. Score: 3.

11. in some religions, the use of shunning as a punishment for a transgression. From Stevens, G. who voted 4, 8. Voted for by: Shefler, M. Score: 1.

12. [philosophy] the property of having a definite spatial location at a given time. Combined from 15 & 16. Scores shown under those numbers, which did not appear on the definition sheet.

13. superfluity; excess. From Carson, C. who voted 4, *12*. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Shepherdson, N.; McGill, R. Score: 5.

14. excess; overabundance. From Madnick, J. who voted 1, *12*. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Shepherdson, N.; McGill, R. Score: 5.

15. The property of having a definite location at a given time. From Dictionary which could not vote. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Abell, T.; Cunningham, D.; Bourne, T.; Carson, C.; Madnick, J. Score: D6.

16. philosophically, a necessary property of matter - that it has a spatial location. From Barrs, J. who did not vote. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Abell, T.; Cunningham, D.; Bourne, T.; Carson, C.; Madnick, J. Score: 6.

No definition from McGill, R. who voted 4, 15. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 0.

Because of the combining, I had to make some enhancements to my spreadsheet to automate part of the scoring process and do other parts manually. I could have made an error in either of both of these errors, especially because I'm sending these out at a rather late hour and spent most of yesterday on airplanes. If I got something wrong, please bring it to my attention. You'll get a correction and an apology. That said, I doubt the scores will change enough to affect the selection of the next dealer. So:

Over to you, Tim!

Efrem

Efrem G. Mallach
emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.