PDA

View Full Version : SuSE Linux 9.3

rlohmann
October 25th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Novell, of (I think) Massachusetts bought out SuSE Linux of (I know) Nuremberg, which union generated SuSE Linux 9.3.

The package is worth looking at, particularly for those who have had it with Windows, and also for those who have had it with 9.1, which had a number of rough edges that led to a lot of nasty E-mails between me and Nuremberg.

9.3 is still IMO a work in progress, but Novell has solved the sound-card problem I had been having with 9.1, and it includes Firefox in the package.

As of now, I'm using XP Pro for MS Money and Civilization III Complete (as Reichskanzler von Ralph, I have managed to conquer pretty much everybody), but very little else.

Are there any other Linux geeks here?

Karl Semper
October 25th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Ralph,

I am just getting ready to build a PC to install Linux. It will probably be SuSE or Fedora. I think that Novell has just released SuSE 10, it is available for download.

Gary Maltzen
October 26th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Are there any other Linux geeks here?
Running SuSE 9.3 on the upper AMD64 ShuttleX and SuSE 10.0-RC1 on the lower AMD64ShuttleX as well as SuSE 10.0-GM (dual-boot with XP/Pro) on the laptop. Running RH9 on personal web server and FC3 on commercial web servers. Does that count?

(oh, yes - gave Gail a Knoppix 3.9 LiveCD to play with)

rlohmann
November 3rd, 2005, 06:21 PM
I'm still trying to figure out exatly what SuSE 10 is. Apparently it's an all-open-source distribution with no support. Whether it has KDE and the other usual packages I'm not sure about.

rlohmann
November 3rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
Majorly cool! :)