PDA

View Full Version : "From ghoulies and ghosties...

Judy G. Russell
October 18th, 2005, 11:58 PM
.... and long-leggedly beasties and things that go THUMP in the night, dear Lord, deliver us..."

So there I am, sitting in my office tonight. The sun is down. It's dark out. Everyone has gone home. Even the streets are mostly clear. And -- all of a sudden -- there is a very loud THUMP on my office window.

So what's so unusual about that, you might ask? After all, someone might have gotten locked out of the building or a kid could have thrown something at the window or...

It's just that, you see, my office is on the fifteenth floor.

I don't know who was more startled, or more frightened ... the bird that flew into the window, or me...

fhaber
October 19th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Get used to it. A thump beats a kestrel on the shower curtain, or grease ants in the stove.

-fellow sufferer at an identical elevation.

Judy G. Russell
October 19th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Get used to it. A thump beats a kestrel on the shower curtain, or grease ants in the stove. -fellow sufferer at an identical elevation.
Gee, I dunno... a kestrel on the shower curtain might be interesting!

Lindsey
October 19th, 2005, 09:49 PM
So there I am, sitting in my office tonight. The sun is down. It's dark out. Everyone has gone home. Even the streets are mostly clear. And -- all of a sudden -- there is a very loud THUMP on my office window.
I had a similar experience some years ago. I was working late, alone (I thought) in the building, and all of a sudden, I heard a very loud thud somewhere in the general vicinity--I couldn't tell exactly where, but it sounded like a bookshelf being pulled over or something. This was during a time when there had been some late robberies or something in the news--I can't remember exactly what, but the thought that this might be another one of those incidents sent me under my desk and kept me sitting huddled there with my heart pounding for a good 20 minutes. And then I finally heard the sound of the vacuum cleaner somewhere on the floor. The sound I had heard was evidently the custodian moving some cleaning equipment around on the floor below.

Whew!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
October 19th, 2005, 10:48 PM
It is verrrrrry scary to hear things that go bump (or thump) in the night!!!

Lindsey
October 20th, 2005, 09:23 PM
It is verrrrrry scary to hear things that go bump (or thump) in the night!!!
Amen!!!

--Lindsey