of "basic rules". The rationale for this is that if we can attract some new
players to check out the site, we don't want them to get put off by the
very complex looking "real rules". We all know it's a very simple game, and
the complicated rules are hardly ever invoked. But potential new players
don't know this. If the basic rules can be added to the site (I have no
idea who does this), then I'd be happy to go to some online sites where
people interested in word games may be lurking and invite them to have a
look (and others may like to do similar). The basic rules are not intended
to replace the real rules, but just get people started.

How does that sound? I've attached the draft basic rules & it would be
great to get some feedback. It has deliberately been kept to one page.

Let me know what you think.

cheers
Shani

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Tim Lodge
August 28th, 2016, 04:35 AM
Shani

I think that's a very good idea - your single sheet contains everything a
new player needs to know to get started, and refers to the Real Rules to
sort out the more complicated exceptional situations.

Is it true that new players are put off by the complete rules? I seem to
remember just diving in and submitting my first def, and only later reading
the rules (which I admit I found confusing). More of a problem is to devise
ways for new players to find out about the game in the first place.

Perhaps we should have a recruiting drive for new players, although I'm not
sure how we'd go about it. I suppose in the modern world one would use
Facebook and Twitter, neither of which I use myself. Any ideas, anyone?

-- Tim L

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 8:08:18 AM UTC+1, Shani Naylor wrote:
>
> Hi again
>
> The dwindling number of players is bit sad to see & I wonder if we can do
> something about it. A few months ago Dan W, Paul Keating & I drafted a set
> of "basic rules". The rationale for this is that if we can attract some new
> players to check out the site, we don't want them to get put off by the
> very complex looking "real rules". We all know it's a very simple game, and
> the complicated rules are hardly ever invoked. But potential new players
> don't know this. If the basic rules can be added to the site (I have no
> idea who does this), then I'd be happy to go to some online sites where
> people interested in word games may be lurking and invite them to have a
> look (and others may like to do similar). The basic rules are not intended
> to replace the real rules, but just get people started.
>
> How does that sound? I've attached the draft basic rules & it would be
> great to get some feedback. It has deliberately been kept to one page.
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> cheers
> Shani
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.

Dave Cunningham
August 28th, 2016, 07:36 AM
I suspect we should act on two fronts - first to use some of the old word
lists reduced to (say) six choices, as though it were a simple trivia game,
and not having links to the players here (making it more a "do you know
this word?" trivia, then pointing out that they can* participate in the
creation of the questions*. Then we also give a* link* here - I suspect
we want twenty new people and not two thousand making defs.

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 3:08:18 AM UTC-4, Shani Naylor wrote:
>
> Hi again
>
> The dwindling number of players is bit sad to see & I wonder if we can do
> something about it. A few months ago Dan W, Paul Keating & I drafted a set
> of "basic rules". The rationale for this is that if we can attract some new
> players to check out the site, we don't want them to get put off by the
> very complex looking "real rules". We all know it's a very simple game, and
> the complicated rules are hardly ever invoked. But potential new players
> don't know this. If the basic rules can be added to the site (I have no
> idea who does this), then I'd be happy to go to some online sites where
> people interested in word games may be lurking and invite them to have a
> look (and others may like to do similar). The basic rules are not intended
> to replace the real rules, but just get people started.
>
> How does that sound? I've attached the draft basic rules & it would be
> great to get some feedback. It has deliberately been kept to one page.
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> cheers
> Shani
>

--

Judy Madnick
August 28th, 2016, 08:03 AM
I don't recall reading the more complex rules before I started playing. I think I checked the rules when I had a particular question...and, like Tim L.., found them confusing. It was easier to ask other players questions as needed!

I'm on Facebook, and once we've arrived at a definite "invitation" (including a link to the Dixonary Google Groups page) I'd be happy to post it on my Facebook page FWIW.

BTW, there's a "The Dixonary" page on Facebook, which is defined as follows: "My sister Heather and I wanted to create a page where we could post stuff that she and I find amusing and/or funny. Simple enough, right? Enjoy!" The author is apparently a "Mark Dixon," based upon his email address.

Judy

Original message
To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com;
Dated: 8/28/2016 5:35:27 AM
Subject: [Dixonary] Re: OT: Basic rules

Shani

I think that's a very good idea - your single sheet contains everything a new player needs to know to get started, and refers to the Real Rules to sort out the more complicated exceptional situations.

Is it true that new players are put off by the complete rules? I seem to remember just diving in and submitting my first def, and only later reading the rules (which I admit I found confusing). More of a problem is to devise ways for new players to find out about the game in the first place.

Perhaps we should have a recruiting drive for new players, although I'm not sure how we'd go about it. I suppose in the modern world one would use Facebook and Twitter, neither of which I use myself. Any ideas, anyone?

-- Tim L

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 8:08:18 AM UTC+1, Shani Naylor wrote:
Hi again

The dwindling number of players is bit sad to see & I wonder if we can do something about it. A few months ago Dan W, Paul Keating & I drafted a set of "basic rules". The rationale for this is that if we can attract some new players to check out the site, we don't want them to get put off by the very complex looking "real rules". We all know it's a very simple game, and the complicated rules are hardly ever invoked. But potential new players don't know this. If the basic rules can be added to the site (I have no idea who does this), then I'd be happy to go to some online sites where people interested in word games may be lurking and invite them to have a look (and others may like to do similar). The basic rules are not intended to replace the real rules, but just get people started.

How does that sound? I've attached the draft basic rules & it would be great to get some feedback. It has deliberately been kept to one page.

cheers
Shani

--

--

Daniel B Widdis
August 28th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Some time ago I created a Dixonary Facebook like page. I tried an ad campaign, paying for a few hundred views and a few dozen clicks to the Dixonary.net site. Nothing translated to new members.

I suppose a more compelling web page might have a higher conversion rate.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 28, 2016, at 5:36 AM, Dave Cunningham <cunn5393 (AT) bellsouth (DOT) net> wrote:
>
> I suspect we should act on two fronts - first to use some of the old word lists reduced to (say) six choices, as though it were a simple trivia game, and not having links to the players here (making it more a "do you know this word?" trivia, then pointing out that they can participate in the creation of the questions. Then we also give a link here - I suspect we want twenty new people and not two thousand making defs.
>
>> On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 3:08:18 AM UTC-4, Shani Naylor wrote:
>> Hi again
>>
>> The dwindling number of players is bit sad to see & I wonder if we can do something about it. A few months ago Dan W, Paul Keating & I drafted a set of "basic rules". The rationale for this is that if we can attract some new players to check out the site, we don't want them to get put off by the very complex looking "real rules". We all know it's a very simple game, and the complicated rules are hardly ever invoked. But potential new players don't know this. If the basic rules can be added to the site (I have no idea who does this), then I'd be happy to go to some online sites where people interested in word games may be lurking and invite them to have a look (and others may like to do similar). The basic rules are not intended to replace the real rules, but just get people started.
>>
>> How does that sound? I've attached the draft basic rules & it would be great to get some feedback. It has deliberately been kept to one page.
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>>
>> cheers
>> Shani
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--

Judy Madnick
August 28th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Dan, does that page still exist? I see that on April 26, 2014, you posted the following message. Is that what you are referring to?

Do you like obscure words? Did you love the game "Balderdash"? Are you interested in joining an online game I've been playing for over 20 years, where you come up with fake definitions for obscure words, and then vote on them?
I welcome you to join me on the Dixonary mailing list. It's low-stress, only about 2 rounds per week (so you craft a fake def one day and vote the next, or day after, etc.) and a fun time with a lot of clever, well-read, and fun people. (Including me!)

On February 15, 2012, Steve Dixon posted a message that started like this:

I play a word game online, a version of "Fictionary" or "Balderdash!", where the "dealer" posts a word he/she hopes is so obscure that nobody in the game will know it. The players then submit fake definitions by private email, a list of which is eventually posted online for players to vote, hoping to guess the real def. Points (2) are scored for guessing the real def, and (1) for each vote your fake def garners. It's fun! See www.dixonary.net

The only downside I can think of is that some people don't want to receive more email (i.e., the voting process generates 15-20 emails) and/or may not want to make the conscious effort to go to the Dixonary Google page.

Judy

Original message
Dated: 8/28/2016 9:28:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Dixonary] Re: OT: Basic rules

Some time ago I created a Dixonary Facebook like page. I tried an ad campaign, paying for a few hundred views and a few dozen clicks to the Dixonary.net site. Nothing translated to new members.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 28, 2016, at 5:36 AM, Dave Cunningham <cunn5393 (AT) bellsouth (DOT) net> wrote:

I suspect we should act on two fronts - first to use some of the old word lists reduced to (say) six choices, as though it were a simple trivia game, and not having links to the players here (making it more a "do you know this word?" trivia, then pointing out that they can participate in the creation of the questions. Then we also give a link here - I suspect we want twenty new people and not two thousand making defs.

Hi again

The dwindling number of players is bit sad to see & I wonder if we can do something about it. A few months ago Dan W, Paul Keating & I drafted a set of "basic rules". The rationale for this is that if we can attract some new players to check out the site, we don't want them to get put off by the very complex looking "real rules". We all know it's a very simple game, and the complicated rules are hardly ever invoked. But potential new players don't know this. If the basic rules can be added to the site (I have no idea who does this), then I'd be happy to go to some online sites where people interested in word games may be lurking and invite them to have a look (and others may like to do similar). The basic rules are not intended to replace the real rules, but just get people started.

How does that sound? I've attached the draft basic rules & it would be great to get some feedback. It has deliberately been kept to one page.

cheers
Shani

--

--

--

—Keith Hale—
August 28th, 2016, 01:10 PM
I think that the one-sheet is a great idea, and well made! I agree some
outreach could help lift the game out of a slight doldrums! (Grammar?)

I'm on Twitter though i hate it (you know how long-of-wind i am) and
Facebook with a love-hate-complicated relationship. I'm very happy to
share a personal appeal! More players should equal less frequent dealing,

As one of the game's latest n00bs, i will mention my greatest
concern\stress about the game. It gets by me SO much of the time, i often
don't even see the word posting. On at least one occasion i'd won the deal
before i knew it was over! There are periods of time i just can't check in
as often as is sometimes required. *Perhaps an opt-in phone list *for such
ill-timed events, however rare, would be relaxing peace of mind.

No idea how to 'solve' the large number of e-mails matter. I have
(literally) 200,641 *unread* emails in my inbox at the moment. My gmail is
where i store a large percentage of my "brain", and it is 94% full,
sometimes more. I flag Dixonary mails, but they still get by me sometimes
in the firehose inbox i live with.

-Keith-

--

France International/Mike Shefler
August 28th, 2016, 01:29 PM
That looks really great. However, I've tried promoting the game several times to friends and relatives, but none has shown any interest so far.

--Mike

On 8/28/2016 3:08 AM, Shani Naylor wrote:

Hi again

The dwindling number of players is bit sad to see &amp; I wonder if we can do something about it. A few months ago Dan W, Paul Keating &amp; I drafted a set of "basic rules". The rationale for this is that if we can attract some new players to check out the site, we don't want them to get put off by the very complex looking "real rules". We all know it's a very simple game, and the complicated rules are hardly ever invoked. But potential new players don't know this. If the basic rules can be added to the site (I have no idea who does this), then I'd be happy to go to some online sites where people interested in word games may be lurking and invite them to have a look (and others may like to do similar). The basic rules are not intended to replace the real rules, but just get people started.

How does that sound? I've attached the draft basic rules &amp; it would be great to get some feedback. It has deliberately been kept to one page.

cheers

Shani

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com (mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com).

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;Dixonary&quot; group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com (mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com).

Judy Madnick
August 28th, 2016, 01:31 PM
I've tried promoting it...also with no interest so far. But the way I see it, it may not help -- but it can't hurt, and it won't take a lot of energy.

Just a thought...

Judy

Original message
From: "France International/Mike Shefler" <stamps (AT) salsgiver (DOT) com>
Dated: 8/28/2016 2:29:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixonary] OT: Basic rules

That looks really great. However, I've tried promoting the game several times to friends and relatives, but none has shown any interest so far.
--Mike

On 8/28/2016 3:08 AM, Shani Naylor wrote:

Hi again

cheers
Shani
--

--

--

Daniel Widdis
August 29th, 2016, 01:58 AM
It still exists but it’s unpublished. https://www.facebook.com/dixonarygame/?fref=ts is the URL (it probably doesn’t work for anyone but me).

The other link you reference was simply me posting on my personal feed/wall/whateverit’scalled

From: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> on behalf of Judy Madnick <jmadnick (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
Reply-To: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
Date: Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 6:52 AM
To: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>

Dan, does that page still exist? I see that on April 26, 2014, you posted the following message. Is that what you are referring to?

Do you like obscure words? Did you love the game "Balderdash"? Are you interested in joining an online game I've been playing for over 20 years, where you come up with fake definitions for obscure words, and then vote on them?

I welcome you to join me on the Dixonary mailing list. It's low-stress, only about 2 rounds per week (so you craft a fake def one day and vote the next, or day after, etc.) and a fun time with a lot of clever, well-read, and fun people. (Including me!)

I play a word game online, a version of "Fictionary" or "Balderdash!", where the "dealer" posts a word he/she hopes is so obscure that nobody in the game will know it. The players then submit fake definitions by private email, a list of which is eventually posted online for players to vote, hoping to guess the real def. Points (2) are scored for guessing the real def, and (1) for each vote your fake def garners. It's fun! See www.dixonary.net

The only downside I can think of is that some people don't want to receive more email (i.e., the voting process generates 15-20 emails) and/or may not want to make the conscious effort to go to the Dixonary Google page.

Judy

Original message

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 28, 2016, at 5:36 AM, Dave Cunningham <cunn5393 (AT) bellsouth (DOT) net> wrote:

I suspect we should act on two fronts - first to use some of the old word lists reduced to (say) six choices, as though it were a simple trivia game, and not having links to the players here (making it more a "do you know this word?" trivia, then pointing out that they can participate in the creation of the questions. Then we also give a link here - I suspect we want twenty new people and not two thousand making defs.

Hi again

cheers

Shani

--

--

--

--

Guerri Stevens
August 29th, 2016, 05:57 AM
My friends and family, like yours, have the same lack of good taste in
leisure time activities!

Guerri

On 8/28/2016 2:29 PM, France International/Mike Shefler wrote:
>
> That looks really great. However, I've tried promoting the game
> several times to friends and relatives, but none has shown any
> interest so far.
>
> --Mike
>
>

--

Judy Madnick
August 29th, 2016, 08:03 AM
No, it's not working for me.

Judy

Original message
Dated: 8/29/2016 2:58:34 AM

It still exists but it’s unpublished. https://www.facebook.com/dixonarygame/?fref=ts is the URL (it probably doesn’t work for anyone but me).

The other link you reference was simply me posting on my personal feed/wall/whateverit’scalled

From: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> on behalf of Judy Madnick <jmadnick (AT) gmail (DOT) .com>
Date: Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 6:52 AM

Judy

Original message

Sent from my iPhone

Hi again

cheers
Shani

--

--

--

--

--

Johnb - co.uk
August 29th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Maybe we should try chatting up some ex players

*JohnnyB*
On 29/08/2016 11:57, Guerri Stevens wrote:
> My friends and family, like yours, have the same lack of good taste in
> leisure time activities!
>
> Guerri
>
> On 8/28/2016 2:29 PM, France International/Mike Shefler wrote:
>>
>> That looks really great. However, I've tried promoting the game
>> several times to friends and relatives, but none has shown any
>> interest so far.
>>
>> --Mike
>>
>>
>

--

nancygoat
August 29th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Or we could try attracting younger players with a Facebook page or Twitter
postings?

--

Shani Naylor
September 3rd, 2016, 04:10 AM
I have found a few sites where I can promote the game to potential new
players, but I'm still keen for the new "basic" rules to go online. I know
many players just jump in and play, but others like to read rules first. I
would hate to attract someone to our site only to have them discouraged by
reading the long rules. Does anyone know who puts stuff online?

As someone said, we don't want to attract loads of people, but half a dozen
or so would be a good start.

Shani

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 3:41 PM, nancygoat <nancygoat (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

> Or we could try attracting younger players with a Facebook page or Twitter
> postings?
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
>

--

Dave Cunningham
September 3rd, 2016, 07:08 AM
*Rule 1:*

*Don't look the word up in a dictionary.*

*Rule 2:*

*When asked to make up a definition, make up any definition you want.
Funny ones sometimes get a lot of votes. Detailed ones sometimes get a lot
of votes. Short ones also.*

*Rule 3:*

*Someone will figure out the score. Don't worry about it. If you guess
the real meaning, you get 2 points. And anyone who votes for your fake
definition gets you one point each.*

*Rule 4:*

*The person who is unlucky enough to get the most points chooses the next
word, and has to handle scoring. New players can pass on the honor, so
don't worry if you win on your first try.*

Shortest rules I can think of. No one really needs to know all the
tie-breaking niceties at this point.

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 5:10:03 AM UTC-4, Shani Naylor wrote:

> I have found a few sites where I can promote the game to potential new
> players, but I'm still keen for the new "basic" rules to go online. I know
> many players just jump in and play, but others like to read rules first. I
> would hate to attract someone to our site only to have them discouraged by
> reading the long rules. Does anyone know who puts stuff online?
>
> As someone said, we don't want to attract loads of people, but half a
> dozen or so would be a good start.
>
> Shani
>
>
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 3:41 PM, nancygoat <nanc... (AT) gmail (DOT) com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Or we could try attracting younger players with a Facebook page or
>> Twitter postings?
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Dixonary" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>> email to dixonary+u... (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <javascript:>.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>
>

--

Daniel Widdis
September 5th, 2016, 11:18 PM
I put stuff on the dixonary.net site… others have access as well.

But the basic rules are already there.

http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules

From: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> on behalf of Shani Naylor <shani.naylor (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
Date: Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 2:10 AM

I have found a few sites where I can promote the game to potential new players, but I'm still keen for the new "basic" rules to go online. I know many players just jump in and play, but others like to read rules first. I would hate to attract someone to our site only to have them discouraged by reading the long rules. Does anyone know who puts stuff online?

As someone said, we don't want to attract loads of people, but half a dozen or so would be a good start.

Shani

--

Shani Naylor
September 6th, 2016, 12:48 AM
Thanks Dan - I didn’t realize it was online, mainly because for some reason
I couldn't find the rules page, but have now found it.
On 6/09/2016 4:18 PM, "Daniel Widdis" <widdis (AT) dixonary (DOT) net> wrote:

> I put stuff on the dixonary.net site… others have access as well.
>
> But the basic rules are already there.
>
> http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules
>
>
> From: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> on behalf of Shani Naylor <
> shani.naylor (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
> Reply-To: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
> Date: Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 2:10 AM
> To: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
> Subject: Re: [Dixonary] Re: OT: Basic rules
>
> I have found a few sites where I can promote the game to potential new
> players, but I'm still keen for the new "basic" rules to go online. I know
> many players just jump in and play, but others like to read rules first. I
> would hate to attract someone to our site only to have them discouraged by
> reading the long rules. Does anyone know who puts stuff online?
>
> As someone said, we don't want to attract loads of people, but half a
> dozen or so would be a good start.
>
> Shani
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
>

--