PDA

View Full Version : Eyes bigger than my...

Judy G. Russell
October 15th, 2005, 03:03 PM
... yard. Remember back a while ago I asked about planting bulbs because I wanted flowers in the spring? Well, the next time I ask about that, or even if I don't ask about it, somebody remind me that I live in the #$@%$ suburbs and have a regular-sized yard and not a #$%$@! farm, please?

I have spent all afternoon planting 50 tulips and 50 daffodils and 60 crocuses -- and there are still more of them in the box!!

I have no idea what possessed me to order as many as I did, but I have a feeling I ain't gonna plant everything I ordered.

<sigh> ... anybody want some daffodil bulbs?

Peter Creasey
October 15th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I have no idea what possessed me to order as many as I did, but I have a feeling I ain't gonna plant everything

Judy, I predict about Easter time when you get to enjoy the blossoming fruits of your labors you will feel your time and effort were well spent.

Judy G. Russell
October 15th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Judy, I predict about Easter time when you get to enjoy the blossoming fruits of your labors you will feel your time and effort were well spent.That is one prediction I very much hope comes true... My yard is very basic. Some arbovitae, a white dogwood, some basic evergreens. No real color at all. I put in a rhododendron and two azaleas, and may have lost both the rhododendron and one of the azaleas to the drought this summer. So I am really looking for some COLOR in the spring. I got purple and blue crocuses, several different shades of tulips, and daffodils of just about every imaginable shape and color. Where I'm going to find room to plant them all is another story altogether...

Lindsey
October 15th, 2005, 11:49 PM
... yard. Remember back a while ago I asked about planting bulbs because I wanted flowers in the spring? Well, the next time I ask about that, or even if I don't ask about it, somebody remind me that I live in the #$@%$ suburbs and have a regular-sized yard and not a #$%$@! farm, please?

Oh, dear, I know that syndrome--been there, done that myself.

Try planting some of those daffodils in large pots. Some bulbs can be brought indoors for forcing, too. (You could take some to your office to enjoy.) See here (http://www.thegardenhelper.com/forcing.html), for instance.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
October 16th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Actually, I thought you were leading into "eyes bigger than my stomach," and it reminded me of this story (http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2005/102005/10142005/136920) from a week or two ago.

--Lindsey

Dan in Saint Louis
October 16th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Where I'm going to find room to plant them all is another story altogether...We scattered our croci(?) at random about the front yard, a system I believe is called "naturalizing". They will multiply, and a couple of springs ago I think I counted 450.

Judy G. Russell
October 16th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I went out this morning and bought an electric drill and a bulb auger. Those suckersare going in the ground SOMEWHERE.

Judy G. Russell
October 16th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I SAW THAT!! Ewwww... don't much like snakes and don't much like crocodiles, so it's hard to root for anybody in that case!

Judy G. Russell
October 16th, 2005, 11:36 AM
We scattered our croci(?) at random about the front yard, a system I believe is called "naturalizing". They will multiply, and a couple of springs ago I think I counted 450.That's what I'm thinking of doing in one section of my yard. I got a drill and bulb auger this morning to make the last plantings easier.

Wayne Scott
October 16th, 2005, 04:53 PM
I SAW THAT!! Ewwww... don't much like snakes and don't much like crocodiles, so it's hard to root for anybody in that case!
Crocodiles make very nice boots. I had on a pair when we had dinner, but I would guess you didn't look under the table.

RayB (France)
October 16th, 2005, 06:45 PM

As the old saying goes - Don't bite off more than you can chew!

RayB (France)
October 16th, 2005, 06:46 PM
** Crocodiles make very nice boots.**

There is an old joke about that and buying a new hat instead.

Judy G. Russell
October 16th, 2005, 07:28 PM
As the old saying goes - Don't bite off more than you can chew!Or, I suppose, in the case of beasties that don't chew their food, more than you can digest!

Judy G. Russell
October 16th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Crocodiles make very nice boots. I had on a pair when we had dinner, but I would guess you didn't look under the table.It's true that was was under the table wasn't my first priority, considering what was on the table (and who was at the table)!

Lindsey
October 16th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I went out this morning and bought an electric drill and a bulb auger. Those suckersare going in the ground SOMEWHERE.
Now you're talking!!! You go, girl! :p

--Lindsey

Lindsey
October 16th, 2005, 11:35 PM
don't much like snakes and don't much like crocodiles, so it's hard to root for anybody in that case!
Or as Dick Kahane likes to say, "It's like professional wrestling: you don't much care who wins, as long as there's lots of blood."

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
October 17th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Okay, everything that is going to get planted has been planted. And my shoulders hurt, my hands hurt, my knees hurt...

I know you're supposed to talk to plants. What I'm saying is: bloom... or else.

Judy G. Russell
October 17th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Or as Dick Kahane likes to say, "It's like professional wrestling: you don't much care who wins, as long as there's lots of blood."That sounds like professional hockey, too!