PDA

View Full Version : Rain, Rain & More Rain

chm
October 14th, 2005, 03:29 PM
How are you guys doing in the Northeast? I keep hearing about your rain and floods. Houses floating away in New Hampshire (?!), etc.

You're still having the same rain that rained out the Angels-Yanks game last week, it appears.

You're all okay, right? I do hope so.

Geez, hasn't this country had enough water to last us a while?

Mild Santa Anas here in SoCal with heat and too much pollution. A Winter Storm is headed our way down from Alaska this weekend - perhaps the beginning of our Rainy Season/Winter?

Anyway, do hope all are keeping safe and dry.

Weather Geek,

Carolyn
http://www.carolynhmayer.com

Mike Landi
October 14th, 2005, 05:49 PM
My area (Albany, NY) has had 8 days straight of rain. To be fair, we had almost zero rain from the week before Labor day until October. The temps stayed warm too.

Now, we are making up the difference. If it stops now, we'll be about even. Fortunately, it has not come down in torrents, just continuous.

Judy G. Russell
October 14th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Maybe it hasn't come down in torrents for Mike in upstate NY but here in NJ we're drowning. Rivers running above flood levels, neighborhoods being evacuated. BLEAH! I mean, I know I complained in July and August and September that we needed rain, but I didn't mean all at once!

Fortunately, I'm not personally in or near a flood zone but I still have a damp basement and am looking forward like you can't believe to the possibility of maybe seeing the sun tomorrow afternoon or so...

Lindsey
October 14th, 2005, 10:18 PM
My area (Albany, NY) has had 8 days straight of rain. To be fair, we had almost zero rain from the week before Labor day until October. The temps stayed warm too.
Yeah, same here--we were suffering from a dearth of rain until last weekend, so some rainfall was welcome, especially since it's grass-planting season, but gee whiz, did Mother Nature have to try to make up the shortfall all at once? We haven't had the flooding that you guys further north have had, but after almost a solid week of rain, it's been pretty miserably damp and chilly. But they're promising sunshine and a little more warmth for the weekend. I'm going to hold them to it!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
October 15th, 2005, 09:31 AM
they're promising sunshine and a little more warmth for the weekend.So far so good here. I can see blue and yellow in the sky for the first time in eight days!

Lindsey
October 16th, 2005, 12:24 AM
So far so good here. I can see blue and yellow in the sky for the first time in eight days!
I actually had to put my sunglasses on when I was out driving today!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
October 16th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I actually had to put my sunglasses on when I was out driving today!It's a bit chilly right now... but even still it's probably a tad above average for October. And (gasp) sunny!

Lindsey
October 17th, 2005, 12:00 AM
It's a bit chilly right now... but even still it's probably a tad above average for October. And (gasp) sunny!
Actually, I think it's a little cool for this early in October. My recollection from when I was a kid was that the weather would be pleasantly warm almost right up until Halloween. And just when you were thinking that this year you'd be able to wear your costume without having to put a coat over it, the weather would turn chilly.

FWIW, though, yesterday's T-D had an AP article saying that worldwide, this past September was the warmest since the beginning of reliable records in 1880, averaging 1.13 degrees above normal for the month. (The second warmest September on record was 2003.) It was the fourth-warmest September in the US, with average temperatures 2.6 degrees above average for the month. And significantly, perhaps, Louisiana had the hottest September in 111 years. Houston-Galveston also set high average temperature records.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
October 17th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I saw the reports about the hottest September on record. This whole summer was pretty brutal here as well. Plus dry... dry dry dry (no, I'm not complaining -- the last time I complained it rained for eight days). So I definitely lost two small arbovitae, one azalea and, maybe, a rhododendron.

Sigh... spring planting ain't gonna be cheap.

Lindsey
October 17th, 2005, 11:10 PM
This whole summer was pretty brutal here as well. Plus dry... dry dry dry (no, I'm not complaining -- the last time I complained it rained for eight days).
Yeah, I think that same article also mentioned that September had also been unusually dry--here, at least. And overall, 2005 was one of the warmest on record. No surprise there.

--Lindsey