PDA

View Full Version : [Dixonary] Round 2690 -- KYLIE -- time to vote!


Shani Naylor
March 9th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Hi all
>
Sorry for the delay.

> It's now time to cast your two ballots for our word KYLIE.
>
> 1. A boomerang.
>
> 2. _Scots_ A boy who does odd jobs.
>
> 3. A brewer's cooling vat; a keelfat.
>
> 4. A female sheep that has not yet been bred.
>
> 5. A rather garish bow-tie.
>
> 6. A rubble-filled attic.
>
> 7. [Irish] a sort of festival.
>
> 8. A type of cup mute for brass instruments, made of cardboard with a
pierced end to allow air to escape.
>
> 9. A very narrow chaetween two islands [Sc. dimin. of _kyle_ a strait]
>
> 10. An iron collar attached to a post and put around a neck as punishment.
>
> 11. Any small fish that is caught to use as bait for larger predatory
fish, particularly game fish.
>
> 12. Familiar name for the Japanese Kai Ken dog.
>
> 13. Neckerchief.
>
> 14. Northern English name for a fizzy powder sweet common in the period
after the Second World War, often sold with a liquorice tube for sucking it
out of the bag.
>
>
>
> The deadline for voting is 7pm Friday 11 March my time (NZDT) or:
>
>
>
> Thursday, 10 March, 10pm PST
>
> Friday, 11 March, 1am EST
>
> Friday, 11 March, 6am GMT
>
> Friday, 11 March, 7am CET
>
> Friday, 11 March, 5pm AEDT
>
>
>
> (please check these times and adjust accordingly)
>
>
>
>
>
> New players always welcome!
>
>
>
> Shani
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The
information in this message is the property of the New Zealand Department
of Corrections. It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential or privileged material. Any review,
storage, copying, editing, summarising, transmission, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, by any means, in whole or part, or taking
any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than intended recipient are prohibited. If you received this in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Shani Naylor
March 9th, 2016, 08:47 PM
I'm so sorry, I've just spotted a spelling mistake.

Number 9 should read: A very narrow channel between two islands...
On 10/03/2016 1:40 PM, "Shani Naylor" <shani.naylor (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

> Hi all
> >
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> > It's now time to cast your two ballots for our word KYLIE.
> >
> > 1. A boomerang.
> >
> > 2. _Scots_ A boy who does odd jobs.
> >
> > 3. A brewer's cooling vat; a keelfat.
> >
> > 4. A female sheep that has not yet been bred.
> >
> > 5. A rather garish bow-tie.
> >
> > 6. A rubble-filled attic.
> >
> > 7. [Irish] a sort of festival.
> >
> > 8. A type of cup mute for brass instruments, made of cardboard with a
> pierced end to allow air to escape.
> >
> > 9. A very narrow chaetween two islands [Sc. dimin. of _kyle_ a strait]
> >
> > 10. An iron collar attached to a post and put around a neck as
> punishment.
> >
> > 11. Any small fish that is caught to use as bait for larger predatory
> fish, particularly game fish.
> >
> > 12. Familiar name for the Japanese Kai Ken dog.
> >
> > 13. Neckerchief.
> >
> > 14. Northern English name for a fizzy powder sweet common in the period
> after the Second World War, often sold with a liquorice tube for sucking it
> out of the bag.
> >
> >
> >
> > The deadline for voting is 7pm Friday 11 March my time (NZDT) or:
> >
> >
> >
> > Thursday, 10 March, 10pm PST
> >
> > Friday, 11 March, 1am EST
> >
> > Friday, 11 March, 6am GMT
> >
> > Friday, 11 March, 7am CET
> >
> > Friday, 11 March, 5pm AEDT
> >
> >
> >
> > (please check these times and adjust accordingly)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > New players always welcome!
> >
> >
> >
> > Shani
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The
> information in this message is the property of the New Zealand Department
> of Corrections. It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
> addressed and may contain confidential or privileged material. Any review,
> storage, copying, editing, summarising, transmission, retransmission,
> dissemination or other use of, by any means, in whole or part, or taking
> any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
> than intended recipient are prohibited. If you received this in error,
> please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

endash@verizon.net
March 9th, 2016, 09:51 PM
I'll vote for numbers 2 and 5. &nbsp;&nbsp; -- Dick Weltz
&nbsp;




&nbsp;



&nbsp;





On 03/09/16, Shani Naylor&lt;shani.naylor (AT) gmail (DOT) .com&gt; wrote:

&nbsp;





Hi all
&gt;
Sorry for the delay.



&gt; It's now time to cast your two ballots for our word KYLIE.
&gt;
&gt; 1. A boomerang.
&gt;
&gt; 2. _Scots_ A boy who does odd jobs.
&gt;
&gt; 3. A brewer's cooling vat; a keelfat.
&gt;
&gt; 4. A female sheep that has not yet been bred.
&gt;
&gt; 5. A rather garish bow-tie.
&gt;
&gt; 6. A rubble-filled attic.
&gt;
&gt; 7. [Irish] a sort of festival.
&gt;
&gt; 8. A type of cup mute for brass instruments, made of cardboard with a pierced end to allow air to escape.
&gt;
&gt; 9. A very narrow chaetween two islands [Sc. dimin. of _kyle_ a strait]
&gt;
&gt; 10. An iron collar attached to a post and put around a neck as punishment.
&gt;
&gt; 11. Any small fish that is caught to use as bait for larger predatory fish, particularly game fish.
&gt;
&gt; 12. Familiar name for the Japanese Kai Ken dog.
&gt;
&gt; 13. Neckerchief.
&gt;
&gt; 14. Northern English name for a fizzy powder sweet common in the period after the Second World War, often sold with a liquorice tube for sucking it out of the bag.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; The deadline for voting is 7pm Friday 11 March my time (NZDT) or:
&gt;
&gt; &nbsp;
&gt;
&gt; Thursday, 10 March, 10pm PST
&gt;
&gt; Friday, 11 March, 1am EST
&gt;
&gt; Friday, 11 March, 6am GMT
&gt;
&gt; Friday, 11 March, 7am CET
&gt;
&gt; Friday, 11 March, 5pm AEDT
&gt;
&gt; &nbsp;
&gt;
&gt; (please check these times and adjust accordingly)
&gt;
&gt; &nbsp;
&gt;
&gt; &nbsp;
&gt;
&gt; New players always welcome!&nbsp;
&gt;
&gt; &nbsp;
&gt;
&gt; Shani
&gt;
&gt; &nbsp;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The information in this message is the property of the New Zealand Department of Corrections. It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential or privileged material. Any review, storage, copying, editing, summarising, transmission, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, by any means, in whole or part, or taking any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than intended recipient are prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.





--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;Dixonary&quot; group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.








--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;Dixonary&quot; group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com (mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com).
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Judy Madnick
March 9th, 2016, 10:11 PM
5 and 13 this time.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Johnb - co.uk
March 10th, 2016, 05:32 AM
I can't resist #14 for I have happy childhood memories of this - it
wasn't on ration! But I will also have to go for an Antipodean one so I
suppose #1 qualifies for that if you say the word with an ozzie accent
it sounds about right

*JohnnyB*

> >
> > 1. A boomerang.
> >
>
> > 14. Northern English name for a fizzy powder sweet common in the
> period after the Second World War, often sold with a liquorice
> tube for sucking it out of the bag.
> >
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Guerri Stevens
March 10th, 2016, 07:37 AM
I vote for 2 and 13.

Guerri
On 3/9/2016 7:40 PM, Shani Naylor wrote:
> >
>
> > 2. _Scots_ A boy who does odd jobs.
> >
> > 13. Neckerchief.
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

—Keith Hale—
March 10th, 2016, 09:16 AM
I will go for 6 & 14!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

France International/Mike Shefler
March 10th, 2016, 10:13 AM
I'll vote for 10 and 14.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Dave Cunningham
March 10th, 2016, 10:44 AM
4 and 8 - sounds vaguely Scots or the like ...


Dave


On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 7:40:19 PM UTC-5, Shani Naylor wrote:

> Hi all
> >
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> > It's now time to cast your two ballots for our word KYLIE.
> >
> > 1. A boomerang.
> >
> > 2. _Scots_ A boy who does odd jobs.
> >
> > 3. A brewer's cooling vat; a keelfat.
> >
> > 4. A female sheep that has not yet been bred.
> >
> > 5. A rather garish bow-tie.
> >
> > 6. A rubble-filled attic.
> >
> > 7. [Irish] a sort of festival.
> >
> > 8. A type of cup mute for brass instruments, made of cardboard with a
> pierced end to allow air to escape.
> >
> > 9. A very narrow chaetween two islands [Sc. dimin. of _kyle_ a strait]
> >
> > 10. An iron collar attached to a post and put around a neck as
> punishment.
> >
> > 11. Any small fish that is caught to use as bait for larger predatory
> fish, particularly game fish.
> >
> > 12. Familiar name for the Japanese Kai Ken dog.
> >
> > 13. Neckerchief.
> >
> > 14. Northern English name for a fizzy powder sweet common in the period
> after the Second World War, often sold with a liquorice tube for sucking it
> out of the bag.
> >
> >
> >
> > The deadline for voting is 7pm Friday 11 March my time (NZDT) or:
> >
> >
> >
> > Thursday, 10 March, 10pm PST
> >
> > Friday, 11 March, 1am EST
> >
> > Friday, 11 March, 6am GMT
> >
> > Friday, 11 March, 7am CET
> >
> > Friday, 11 March, 5pm AEDT
> >
> >
> >
> > (please check these times and adjust accordingly)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > New players always welcome!
> >
> >
> >
> > Shani
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The
> information in this message is the property of the New Zealand Department
> of Corrections. It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
> addressed and may contain confidential or privileged material. Any review,
> storage, copying, editing, summarising, transmission, retransmission,
> dissemination or other use of, by any means, in whole or part, or taking
> any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
> than intended recipient are prohibited. If you received this in error,
> please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Tim B
March 10th, 2016, 11:02 AM
2 and 9, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Tim Lodge
March 10th, 2016, 11:37 AM
2 and 4 - both wrong, I'm sure.

2. _Scots_ A boy who does odd jobs.

4. A female sheep that has not yet been bred.

-- Tim L

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Efrem Mallach
March 10th, 2016, 04:14 PM
I hear the pipes a-calling … the two Scottish definitions, #2 and #9.

(And a tip o' the rubble-filled tam o'shanter to the author of #6.)

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> On Mar 9, 2016, at 7:40 PM, Shani Naylor <shani.naylor (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> Hi all
> >
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> > It's now time to cast your two ballots for our word KYLIE.
> >
> >
> > 2. _Scots_ A boy who does odd jobs.
> >
> >
> > 9. A very narrow channel between two islands [Sc. dimin. of _kyle_ a strait]
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Dodi Schultz
March 10th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Nice not to see any unusual anatomical parts listed. Not that these look
any more likely. With no notion whatever, I'll try the two of the three
kinds of neckwear:

5. A rather garish bow-tie.

13. Neckerchief.

—Dodi


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Daniel Widdis
March 10th, 2016, 07:18 PM
I'll go with the strait tie.

5 and 9.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Steve Graham
March 10th, 2016, 11:46 PM
I'll take 4 and ;-} 6 please



Steve Graham

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

> 4. A female sheep that has not yet been bred.
>
> 6. A rubble-filled attic.
>



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.