PDA

View Full Version : [Dixonary] Rnd 2787 UPAS results

Johnb - co.uk
February 28th, 2016, 10:16 AM
This was an anxious round for me because I am having to grab moments in
between feeling quite sick (the lymphoma most likely)

As everyone who submitted has voted I am grabbing one of those moments
and closing early

Dave Cunningham's unknown rune scored 8 and is our next dealer - The
real winner is Shani Naylor with 6 unnatural points. The real def is
#18, which gave me a D4, is the "fabulous" tree - in actual fact, as
more than one person has pointed out, it is also a real tree whose
poison is used for arrows etc but the primary def in the OED Online is
the fabulous tree and this is was what I used

I apologise here to Nancy for not noticing her mis-spelling of Inuit but
- even with another def with the correct spelling she still gained 3
points: Question, did the rest of us just scan and read it as correct as
I did?

Anyway - take it away Dave

*JohnnyB*

1. luck, fate...
Voted for by NaylorS, StevensG, HartJ [From Judy Madnick who voted for 8
and 16] and scores [3 + 0] = 3

2. shooting stars...
Voted for by nobody [From Keith Hale who voted for 15 and 16] and scores
[0 + 0] = 0

3. (sl.) a colonoscopy...
Voted for by WiddisD [From Jim Hart who voted for 1 and 13] and scores
[1 + 0] = 1

4. a Buddhist monument...
Voted for by WeltzD, LodgeT, SchultzD [From Paul Keating who voted for
14 and 18*] and scores [3 + 2] = 5*

5. stuffed cabbage leaves...
Voted for by nobody [From Guerri Stevens who voted for 1 and 17] and
scores [0 + 0] = 0

6. a tree of western Africa...
Voted for by MallachE, SheflerM [From Dodi Schultz who voted for 4 and
10] and scores [2 + 0] = 2

7. from the south; southerly...
Voted for by nobody [From Tony Abell who voted for 16 and 18*] and
scores [0 + 2] = 2*

8. a clear, pure stream. (Iniut)...
Voted for by MadnickJ, BourneT, GrahamS [From Nancy Shepherdson who
voted for 9 and 14] and scores [3 + 0] = 3

9. [Hindi] a groom or stable hand...
Voted for by CunninghamD, ShepherdsonN [From Tim Lodge who voted for 4
and 16] and scores [2 + 0] = 2

10. a poisonous alkaloid from hellebore...
Voted for by SchultzD [From Efrem Mallach who voted for 6 and 17] and
scores [1 + 0] = 1

11. an eye disease affecting swamp-dwelling reptiles...
Voted for by nobody [From Dick Weltz who voted for 4 and 16] and scores
[0 + 0] = 0

12. a variety of mosquito found in sub-Saharan Africa...
Voted for by nobody [From Steve Graham who voted for 8 and 14] and
scores [0 + 0] = 0

13. a small fishing vessel, rigged like a yawl. [New Eng.]...
Voted for by HartJ [From Dan Widdis who voted for 3 and 16] and scores
[1 + 0] = 1

14. (Inuit) a non-Inuit person, spec. a person of European descent...
Voted for by CunninghamD, ShepherdsonN, KeatingP, GrahamS [From Shani
Naylor who voted for 1 and 18*] and scores [4 + 2] = 6*

15. a small bone in the toe that is distorted in the condition of hammer
toe...
Voted for by HaleK [From Tim Bourne who voted for 8 and 16] and scores
[1 + 0] = 1

16. an unknown rune postulated to be a direct link between Sanskrit and
modern Icelandic...
Voted for by MadnickJ, BourneT, WeltzD, LodgeT, HaleK, WiddisD, AbellT
[From Dave Cunningham who voted for 9 and 14] and scores [8 + 0] = 8

17. the edible fruit of the doom palm (_Hyphaene thebaica_), also known
as the gingerbread tree...
Voted for by MallachE, StevensG [From Mike Shefler who voted for 6 and
18*] and scores [1 + 2] = 3*

18. a fabulous tree alleged to have existed in Java, at some distance
from Batavia, with properties so poisonous as to destroy all animal and
vegetable life to a distance of fifteen or sixteen miles around it.
Voted for by KeatingP, NaylorS, SheflerM, AbellT [From OED On-Line 2105
and scores me a D4

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Johnb - co.uk
February 28th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Judy Madnick 3
Keith Hale 0
Jim Hart 1
Paul Keating 5*
Guerri Stevens 0
Dodi Schultz 2
Tony Abell 2*
Nancy Shepherdson 3
Tim Lodge 2
Efrem Mallach 1
Dick Weltz 0
Steve Graham 0
Dan Widdis 1
Shani Naylor 6*
Tim Bourne 1
Dave Cunningham 8
Mike Shefler 3*
OED On-Line 2105 D4

*JohnnyB*

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.

Efrem Mallach
February 28th, 2016, 10:33 AM
John,

Not to nit-pick (though that’s exactly what I’m doing), but I think Judy Madnick voted for 10 and 16, not 8 and 16,

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> On Feb 28, 2016, at 11:16 AM, Johnb - co.uk <johnb (AT) john-barrs (DOT) co.uk> wrote:
>
> This was an anxious round for me because I am having to grab moments in between feeling quite sick (the lymphoma most likely)
>
> As everyone who submitted has voted I am grabbing one of those moments and closing early
>
> Dave Cunningham's unknown rune scored 8 and is our next dealer - The real winner is Shani Naylor with 6 unnatural points. The real def is #18, which gave me a D4, is the "fabulous" tree - in actual fact, as more than one person has pointed out, it is also a real tree whose poison is used for arrows etc but the primary def in the OED Online is the fabulous tree and this is was what I used
>
> I apologise here to Nancy for not noticing her mis-spelling of Inuit but - even with another def with the correct spelling she still gained 3 points: Question, did the rest of us just scan and read it as correct as I did?
>
> Anyway - take it away Dave
>
> JohnnyB
>
> 1. luck, fate...
> Voted for by NaylorS, StevensG, HartJ [From Judy Madnick who voted for 8 and 16] and scores [3 + 0] = 3
>
> 2. shooting stars...
> Voted for by nobody [From Keith Hale who voted for 15 and 16] and scores [0 + 0] = 0
>
> 3. (sl.) a colonoscopy...
> Voted for by WiddisD [From Jim Hart who voted for 1 and 13] and scores [1 + 0] = 1
>
> 4. a Buddhist monument...
> Voted for by WeltzD, LodgeT, SchultzD [From Paul Keating who voted for 14 and 18*] and scores [3 + 2] = 5*
>
> 5. stuffed cabbage leaves...
> Voted for by nobody [From Guerri Stevens who voted for 1 and 17] and scores [0 + 0] = 0
>
> 6. a tree of western Africa...
> Voted for by MallachE, SheflerM [From Dodi Schultz who voted for 4 and 10] and scores [2 + 0] = 2
>
> 7. from the south; southerly...
> Voted for by nobody [From Tony Abell who voted for 16 and 18*] and scores [0 + 2] = 2*
>
> 8. a clear, pure stream. (Iniut)...
> Voted for by MadnickJ, BourneT, GrahamS [From Nancy Shepherdson who voted for 9 and 14] and scores [3 + 0] = 3
>
> 9. [Hindi] a groom or stable hand...
> Voted for by CunninghamD, ShepherdsonN [From Tim Lodge who voted for 4 and 16] and scores [2 + 0] = 2
>
> 10. a poisonous alkaloid from hellebore...
> Voted for by SchultzD [From Efrem Mallach who voted for 6 and 17] and scores [1 + 0] = 1
>
> 11. an eye disease affecting swamp-dwelling reptiles...
> Voted for by nobody [From Dick Weltz who voted for 4 and 16] and scores [0 + 0] = 0
>
> 12. a variety of mosquito found in sub-Saharan Africa...
> Voted for by nobody [From Steve Graham who voted for 8 and 14] and scores [0 + 0] = 0
>
> 13. a small fishing vessel, rigged like a yawl. [New Eng.]...
> Voted for by HartJ [From Dan Widdis who voted for 3 and 16] and scores [1 + 0] = 1
>
> 14. (Inuit) a non-Inuit person, spec. a person of European descent...
> Voted for by CunninghamD, ShepherdsonN, KeatingP, GrahamS [From Shani Naylor who voted for 1 and 18*] and scores [4 + 2] = 6*
>
> 15. a small bone in the toe that is distorted in the condition of hammer toe...
> Voted for by HaleK [From Tim Bourne who voted for 8 and 16] and scores [1 + 0] = 1
>
> 16. an unknown rune postulated to be a direct link between Sanskrit and modern Icelandic...
> Voted for by MadnickJ, BourneT, WeltzD, LodgeT, HaleK, WiddisD, AbellT [From Dave Cunningham who voted for 9 and 14] and scores [8 + 0] = 8
>
> 17. the edible fruit of the doom palm (_Hyphaene thebaica_), also known as the gingerbread tree...
> Voted for by MallachE, StevensG [From Mike Shefler who voted for 6 and 18*] and scores [1 + 2] = 3*
>
> 18. a fabulous tree alleged to have existed in Java, at some distance from Batavia, with properties so poisonous as to destroy all animal and vegetable life to a distance of fifteen or sixteen miles around it.
> Voted for by KeatingP, NaylorS, SheflerM, AbellT [From OED On-Line 2105 and scores me a D4
>
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

--

France International/Mike Shefler
February 28th, 2016, 10:37 AM
A couple corrections not affecting the final result. I have Dave getting only 7 votes and me 2 (+2).

Mike

On 2/28/2016 11:16 AM, Johnb - co.uk wrote:

This was an anxious round for me because I am having to grab moments in between feeling quite sick (the lymphoma most likely)

As everyone who submitted has voted I am grabbing one of those moments and closing early

Dave Cunningham's unknown rune scoredÂ* 8 and is our next dealer - The real winner is Shani Naylor with 6 unnatural points. The real def is #18, which gave me a D4, is the "fabulous" tree - in actual fact, as more than one person has pointed out, it is also a real tree whose poison is used for arrows etc but the primary def in the OED Online is the fabulous tree and this is was what I used

I apologise here to Nancy for not noticing her mis-spelling of Inuit but - even with another def with the correct spelling she still gained 3 points: Question, did the rest of us just scan and read it as correct as I did?

JohnnyB

Â*1. luck, fate...
Voted for by NaylorS, StevensG, HartJ [From Judy Madnick who voted for 8 and 16] and scores [3 + 0] = 3

Â*2. shooting stars...
Voted for by nobody [From Keith Hale who voted for 15 and 16] and scores [0 + 0] = 0

Â*3. (sl.) a colonoscopy...
Voted for by WiddisD [From Jim Hart who voted for 1 and 13] and scores [1 + 0] = 1

Â*4. a Buddhist monument...
Voted for by WeltzD, LodgeT, SchultzD [From Paul Keating who voted for 14 and 18*] and scores [3 + 2] = 5*

Â*5. stuffed cabbage leaves...
Voted for by nobody [From Guerri Stevens who voted for 1 and 17] and scores [0 + 0] = 0

Â*6. a tree of western Africa...
Voted for by MallachE, SheflerM [From Dodi Schultz who voted for 4 and 10] and scores [2 + 0] = 2

Â*7. from the south; southerly...
Voted for by nobody [From Tony Abell who voted for 16 and 18*] and scores [0 + 2] = 2*

Â*8. a clear, pure stream.Â* (Iniut)...
Voted for by MadnickJ, BourneT, GrahamS [From Nancy Shepherdson who voted for 9 and 14] and scores [3 + 0] = 3

Â*9. [Hindi] a groom or stable hand...
Voted for by CunninghamD, ShepherdsonN [From Tim Lodge who voted for 4 and 16] and scores [2 + 0] = 2

Voted for by SchultzD [From Efrem Mallach who voted for 6 and 17] and scores [1 + 0] = 1

Voted for by nobody [From Dick Weltz who voted for 4 and 16] and scores [0 + 0] = 0

Voted for by nobody [From Steve Graham who voted for 8 and 14] and scores [0 + 0] = 0

Voted for by HartJ [From Dan Widdis who voted for 3 and 16] and scores [1 + 0] = 1

Voted for by CunninghamD, ShepherdsonN, KeatingP, GrahamS [From Shani Naylor who voted for 1 and 18*] and scores [4 + 2] = 6*

15. a small bone in the toe that is distorted in the condition of hammer toe...
Voted for by HaleK [From Tim Bourne who voted for 8 and 16] and scores [1 + 0] = 1

16.Â* an unknown rune postulated to be a direct link between Sanskrit and modern Icelandic...
Voted for by MadnickJ, BourneT, WeltzD, LodgeT, HaleK, WiddisD, AbellT [From Dave Cunningham who voted for 9 and 14] and scores [8 + 0] = 8

17. the edible fruit of the doom palm (_Hyphaene thebaica_), also known as the gingerbread tree...
Voted for by MallachE, StevensG [From Mike Shefler who voted for 6 and 18*] and scores [1 + 2] = 3*

18. a fabulous tree alleged to have existed in Java, at some distance from Batavia, with properties so poisonous as to destroy all animal and vegetable life to a distance of fifteen or sixteen miles around it.
Voted for by KeatingP, NaylorS, SheflerM, AbellT [From OED On-Line 2105 and scores me aÂ* D4

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com (mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com).

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;Dixonary&quot; group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com (mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com).

Judy Madnick
February 28th, 2016, 10:45 AM
And I think you're right! (I guess I should check these things. Sorry!)

Judy

Original message
To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com;
Dated: 2/28/2016 11:33:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Dixonary] Rnd 2787 UPAS results

John,

Not to nit-pick (though that’s exactly what I’m doing), but I think Judy Madnick voted for 10 and 16, not 8 and 16,

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

On Feb 28, 2016, at 11:16 AM, Johnb - co.uk <johnb (AT) john-barrs (DOT) co.uk> wrote:

This was an anxious round for me because I am having to grab moments in between feeling quite sick (the lymphoma most likely)

As everyone who submitted has voted I am grabbing one of those moments and closing early

Dave Cunningham's unknown rune scored 8 and is our next dealer - The real winner is Shani Naylor with 6 unnatural points. The real def is #18, which gave me a D4, is the "fabulous" tree - in actual fact, as more than one person has pointed out, it is also a real tree whose poison is used for arrows etc but the primary def in the OED Online is the fabulous tree and this is was what I used

I apologise here to Nancy for not noticing her mis-spelling of Inuit but - even with another def with the correct spelling she still gained 3 points: Question, did the rest of us just scan and read it as correct as I did?

JohnnyB

1. luck, fate...
Voted for by NaylorS, StevensG, HartJ [From Judy Madnick who voted for 8 and 16] and scores [3 + 0] = 3

2. shooting stars...
Voted for by nobody [From Keith Hale who voted for 15 and 16] and scores [0 + 0] = 0

3. (sl.) a colonoscopy...
Voted for by WiddisD [From Jim Hart who voted for 1 and 13] and scores [1 + 0] = 1

4. a Buddhist monument...
Voted for by WeltzD, LodgeT, SchultzD [From Paul Keating who voted for 14 and 18*] and scores [3 + 2] = 5*

5. stuffed cabbage leaves...
Voted for by nobody [From Guerri Stevens who voted for 1 and 17] and scores [0 + 0] = 0

6. a tree of western Africa...
Voted for by MallachE, SheflerM [From Dodi Schultz who voted for 4 and 10] and scores [2 + 0] = 2

7. from the south; southerly...
Voted for by nobody [From Tony Abell who voted for 16 and 18*] and scores [0 + 2] = 2*

8. a clear, pure stream. (Iniut)...
Voted for by MadnickJ, BourneT, GrahamS [From Nancy Shepherdson who voted for 9 and 14] and scores [3 + 0] = 3

9. [Hindi] a groom or stable hand...
Voted for by CunninghamD, ShepherdsonN [From Tim Lodge who voted for 4 and 16] and scores [2 + 0] = 2

Voted for by SchultzD [From Efrem Mallach who voted for 6 and 17] and scores [1 + 0] = 1

Voted for by nobody [From Dick Weltz who voted for 4 and 16] and scores [0 + 0] = 0

Voted for by nobody [From Steve Graham who voted for 8 and 14] and scores [0 + 0] = 0

Voted for by HartJ [From Dan Widdis who voted for 3 and 16] and scores [1 + 0] = 1

Voted for by CunninghamD, ShepherdsonN, KeatingP, GrahamS [From Shani Naylor who voted for 1 and 18*] and scores [4 + 2] = 6*

15. a small bone in the toe that is distorted in the condition of hammer toe...
Voted for by HaleK [From Tim Bourne who voted for 8 and 16] and scores [1 + 0] = 1

16. an unknown rune postulated to be a direct link between Sanskrit and modern Icelandic...
Voted for by MadnickJ, BourneT, WeltzD, LodgeT, HaleK, WiddisD, AbellT [From Dave Cunningham who voted for 9 and 14] and scores [8 + 0] = 8

17. the edible fruit of the doom palm (_Hyphaene thebaica_), also known as the gingerbread tree...
Voted for by MallachE, StevensG [From Mike Shefler who voted for 6 and 18*] and scores [1 + 2] = 3*

18. a fabulous tree alleged to have existed in Java, at some distance from Batavia, with properties so poisonous as to destroy all animal and vegetable life to a distance of fifteen or sixteen miles around it.
Voted for by KeatingP, NaylorS, SheflerM, AbellT [From OED On-Line 2105 and scores me a D4

--

--

--

Johnb - co.uk
February 28th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Mike

As Efrem pointed out I admit getting Judy's vote wrong,

I also recorded Efrem's own vote incorrectly to Dave hence Dave 7 is
correct

So I do now have you as 4 - [2 (Guerri and Efrem) + (+2)]

Many apologies
JohnnyB*

On 28/02/2016 16:37, France International/Mike Shefler wrote:
> A couple corrections not affecting the final result. I have Dave
> getting only 7 votes and me 2 (+2).
>
> Mike
>
>
> On 2/28/2016 11:16 AM, Johnb - co.uk wrote:
>> This was an anxious round for me because I am having to grab moments
>> in between feeling quite sick (the lymphoma most likely)
>>
>> As everyone who submitted has voted I am grabbing one of those
>> moments and closing early
>>
>> Dave Cunningham's unknown rune scored 8 and is our next dealer - The
>> real winner is Shani Naylor with 6 unnatural points. The real def is
>> #18, which gave me a D4, is the "fabulous" tree - in actual fact, as
>> more than one person has pointed out, it is also a real tree whose
>> poison is used for arrows etc but the primary def in the OED Online
>> is the fabulous tree and this is was what I used
>>
>> I apologise here to Nancy for not noticing her mis-spelling of Inuit
>> but - even with another def with the correct spelling she still
>> gained 3 points: Question, did the rest of us just scan and read it
>> as correct as I did?
>>
>> Anyway - take it away Dave
>>
>> *JohnnyB*
>>
>> 1. luck, fate...
>> Voted for by NaylorS, StevensG, HartJ [From Judy Madnick who voted
>> for 8 and 16] and scores [3 + 0] = 3
>>
>> 2. shooting stars...
>> Voted for by nobody [From Keith Hale who voted for 15 and 16] and
>> scores [0 + 0] = 0
>>
>> 3. (sl.) a colonoscopy...
>> Voted for by WiddisD [From Jim Hart who voted for 1 and 13] and
>> scores [1 + 0] = 1
>>
>> 4. a Buddhist monument...
>> Voted for by WeltzD, LodgeT, SchultzD [From Paul Keating who voted
>> for 14 and 18*] and scores [3 + 2] = 5*
>>
>> 5. stuffed cabbage leaves...
>> Voted for by nobody [From Guerri Stevens who voted for 1 and 17] and
>> scores [0 + 0] = 0
>>
>> 6. a tree of western Africa...
>> Voted for by MallachE, SheflerM [From Dodi Schultz who voted for 4
>> and 10] and scores [2 + 0] = 2
>>
>> 7. from the south; southerly...
>> Voted for by nobody [From Tony Abell who voted for 16 and 18*] and
>> scores [0 + 2] = 2*
>>
>> 8. a clear, pure stream. (Iniut)...
>> Voted for by MadnickJ, BourneT, GrahamS [From Nancy Shepherdson who
>> voted for 9 and 14] and scores [3 + 0] = 3
>>
>> 9. [Hindi] a groom or stable hand...
>> Voted for by CunninghamD, ShepherdsonN [From Tim Lodge who voted for
>> 4 and 16] and scores [2 + 0] = 2
>>
>> 10. a poisonous alkaloid from hellebore...
>> Voted for by SchultzD [From Efrem Mallach who voted for 6 and 17] and
>> scores [1 + 0] = 1
>>
>> 11. an eye disease affecting swamp-dwelling reptiles...
>> Voted for by nobody [From Dick Weltz who voted for 4 and 16] and
>> scores [0 + 0] = 0
>>
>> 12. a variety of mosquito found in sub-Saharan Africa...
>> Voted for by nobody [From Steve Graham who voted for 8 and 14] and
>> scores [0 + 0] = 0
>>
>> 13. a small fishing vessel, rigged like a yawl. [New Eng.]...
>> Voted for by HartJ [From Dan Widdis who voted for 3 and 16] and
>> scores [1 + 0] = 1
>>
>> 14. (Inuit) a non-Inuit person, spec. a person of European descent...
>> Voted for by CunninghamD, ShepherdsonN, KeatingP, GrahamS [From Shani
>> Naylor who voted for 1 and 18*] and scores [4 + 2] = 6*
>>
>> 15. a small bone in the toe that is distorted in the condition of
>> hammer toe...
>> Voted for by HaleK [From Tim Bourne who voted for 8 and 16] and
>> scores [1 + 0] = 1
>>
>> 16. an unknown rune postulated to be a direct link between Sanskrit
>> and modern Icelandic...
>> Voted for by MadnickJ, BourneT, WeltzD, LodgeT, HaleK, WiddisD,
>> AbellT [From Dave Cunningham who voted for 9 and 14] and scores [8 +
>> 0] = 8
>>
>> 17. the edible fruit of the doom palm (_Hyphaene thebaica_), also
>> known as the gingerbread tree...
>> Voted for by MallachE, StevensG [From Mike Shefler who voted for 6
>> and 18*] and scores [1 + 2] = 3*
>>
>> 18. a fabulous tree alleged to have existed in Java, at some distance
>> from Batavia, with properties so poisonous as to destroy all animal
>> and vegetable life to a distance of fifteen or sixteen miles around it.
>> Voted for by KeatingP, NaylorS, SheflerM, AbellT [From OED On-Line
>> 2105 and scores me a D4
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups "Dixonary" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>> send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
>> <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
> <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--