PDA

View Full Version : We wuz robbed or the Umps Stink '05 Playoffs

ndebord
October 12th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I gotta say that the umpiring in this 2005 playoffs has been atrocious. The band of umpires categorically refuse to reverse themselves when they make a bad call. The latest case in point was tonight's game between the White Sox and the Angels. Two outs in the 9th, the ump literally punches out the hittter on a strike three call that the catcher digs out right at dirt level. Doesn't make a verbal call, which is seemingly his bad habit. The batter runs to first and the ump says NO I NEVER CALLED HIM OUT. I saw the replays of this home plate umps calls throughout the game and he always did the same thing. A punch out motion with his right arm and he did that in this case. Then reverses his call and says the ball wasn't caught by the catcher, but that it bounced up into his glove (a replay shows it was caught not bounced).

The disturbing thing is everyone saw on national TV that he punched the guy out and he disputes the proof of our own eyes. And the crew chief refused to overturn his decision? The umps seem to be interjecting themselves into the game and that is not good, not good at all.

The Angels wuz robbed tonite.

Judy G. Russell
October 13th, 2005, 12:03 AM
The Angels wuz definitely robbed. No question, none at all, that the catcher caught that ball.

ndebord
October 13th, 2005, 12:22 AM
The Angels wuz definitely robbed. No question, none at all, that the catcher caught that ball.

Judy,

Add this call into the bad calls West made against the Yankees and whatever else has been happening in the National League that I've not been following and you could reasonably make the argument that the Cult of Personality trait which has infected players in all sports (Footbal and Basketball come to mind as being in the forefront of this trend) has now infected the umps too.

They can't get anyway with these atrocious calls, can they?

Judy G. Russell
October 13th, 2005, 12:23 AM
They can't get anyway with these atrocious calls, can they?And who's going to stop them?

Mike Landi
October 13th, 2005, 09:31 AM
The Angels wuz robbed tonite.

These bad ump calls are ruining the playoffs. Too many calls are questionable and they come at the worst times.

Bad calls.

The Yanks were robbed (twice) and the Angles were robbed. Not good.

ndebord
October 13th, 2005, 01:41 PM
These bad ump calls are ruining the playoffs. Too many calls are questionable and they come at the worst times.

Bad calls.

The Yanks were robbed (twice) and the Angles were robbed. Not good.

Mike,

Not good at all. The common denominator has been the umps' insistence upon putting themselves into the equation. Whatever happened to impartial arbitrator?

<sigh>

Bill Hirst
October 13th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Mike,

Not good at all. The common denominator has been the umps' insistence upon putting themselves into the equation. Whatever happened to impartial arbitrator?

<sigh>

Blame the network. http://www.theonion.com/content/node/41612

chm
October 14th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Agreed. The Sox got a tainted win on account of ump error.

I'm looking forward to the Sox coming to Anaheim today. I wonder how Angel fans will react?

Angels fan, just down the road from Anaheim,

Carolyn

http://www.carolynhmayer
http://wazzup-california.blogspot.com - News & Views from Southern California