PDA

View Full Version : [Dixonary] Round 2682 results: LUPULIN

Efrem Mallach
February 7th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Fellow players,

Mike Shefler (#9, extract of alpine flowers used in perfumes) and Chris Carson (#1, small unripe apple) tied for the highest score with six natural points each. Chris is higher in the four-round rolling score - or, equivalently, in the five-round rolling score including their identical scores for the current round. Chris therefore wins the deal, with Mike the traditional “winnah.” Dan Widdis (#12) and Dodi Schultz (#17) followed with four points each.

Lupulin is the active ingredient in beer hops, definition #2. John Barrs disqualified himself as "a botanist who lives in one of the three areas in the UK where one is allowed to grow the hop plant (humulus lupulus) for beer production." Tony Abell, who described himself in his e-mail as "a technically-oriented homebrewer for more than 30 years,” did likewise. Tony’s DQ message arrived with just under ten hours left in the voting period, or I might have replaced the word; as things are, two DQs are a borderline situation anyhow so I let it stand.

Dan Widdis, the self-professed IPA fan, was the only player to vote for the correct definition.

Full results:

1. a small unripe apple. From Carson, C. who did not vote. Voted for by: Hart, Keating, Madnick, Schultz, Weltz, Widdis. Score: 6.

2. the active ingredient in beer hops. From Dictionary who did not vote. Voted for by: Widdis. Score: D1.

3. an ointment for treating skin ulcers. From Lodge, T. who voted 5, 16. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

4. a small sword or dagger worn by Sikhs. From Madnick, J. who voted 1, 12. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

5. a risk taker; a person who likes danger. From Stevens, G. who voted 9, 16. Voted for by: Lodge. Score: 1.

6. [Heraldic] fish device representing a pike or luce. From Barrs, J. who was DQ. Voted for by: Cunningham, Naylor. Score: 2.

7. a furniture runner, usu. made of cotton and embroidered. From Shepherdson, N. who voted 9, 16. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

8. [1920s] a homeopathic remedy marketed for werewolf bites. From Cunningham, D. who voted 6, 12. Voted for by: Shefler. Score: 1.

9. an extract of alpine flowers used as an essence in certain perfumes. From Shefler, M. who voted 8, 11. Voted for by: Hale, Hart, Keating, Schultz, Shepherdson, Stevens. Score: 6.

10. a finely woven material made from flax, formerly used in Chinese court dress. From Bourne, T. who voted 16, 17. Voted for by: Hale. Score: 1.

11. [Med. hist.] A putative infectious agent formerly thought to cause lycanthropy. From Keating, P. who voted 1, 9. Voted for by: Shefler. Score: 1.

12. [Bot.] a plant with white or yellow persistent scales about the heads of the flowers. From Widdis, D. who voted 1, *2*. Voted for by: Cunningham, Madnick. Score: 4.

13. a sound-amplifying apparatus used as a public-address system, esp. in a large building. From Hale, K. who voted 9, 10. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

14. a distillation of nectar from the wolfbane plant, used mainly in Oriental medical practice. From Weltz, D. who voted 1, 17. Voted for by: Graham. Score: 1.

15. a secretion in the saliva of the grey wolf (_Canis lupus_) that aids the breakdown of ingested matter. From Graham, S. who voted 14, 17. Voted for by: Naylor. Score: 1.

16. any of several legumes of the family _Fabaceae_, used chiefly as stock feed or as a substitute for soy beans; coorow seeds. From Hart, J. who voted 1, 9. Voted for by: Bourne, Lodge, Shepherdson, Stevens. Score: 4.

17. a recently synthesized form of insulin, used to treat diabetes in humans, derived from the pancreas of the gray wolf (_Canis lupus_). From Schultz, D. who voted 1, 9. Voted for by: Bourne, Graham, Weltz. Score: 3.

No definition from Naylor, S. who voted 6, 15. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 0.

No definition from Bourne, T. who voted 12, 13. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 0.

No definition from Abell, T., who was DQ. Score: 0.

Take it away, Chris!

Efrem

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Steve Graham
February 7th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Gee, and here I am in the hops capital of the United States and never heard the term.

There's even a minor, minor, minor professional baseball team named the Hillsboro Hops.

Steve Graham
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.

Dodi Schultz
February 7th, 2016, 09:00 PM
On 2/7/2016 9:20 PM, Efrem Mallach wrote:
> Fellow players,
>
> Mike Shefler (#9, extract of alpine flowers used in perfumes) and Chris Carson (#1, small unripe apple) tied for the highest score with six natural points each. Chris is higher in the four-round rolling score - or, equivalently, in the five-round rolling score including their identical scores for the current round. Chris therefore wins the deal, with Mike the traditional “winnah.” Dan Widdis (#12) and Dodi Schultz (#17) followed with four points each.
No, only three for me.

—Dodi

--

Efrem Mallach
February 7th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Right, and thank you for reading carefully. I read over from the scores at the far right of my spreadsheet to the names at the far left and moved down by one row in the process, so I read your name rather than Jim Hart’s from the line right above yours. He is the other player with four points. The sentence in question should read "Dan Widdis (#12) and Dodi Schultz (#17) followed with four points each."

Fortunately, the list of scores is correct. The only error is in the verbiage that precedes the list.

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> On Feb 7, 2016, at 10:00 PM, Dodi Schultz <DodiSchultz (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:
>
> On 2/7/2016 9:20 PM, Efrem Mallach wrote:
>> Fellow players,
>>
>> Mike Shefler (#9, extract of alpine flowers used in perfumes) and Chris Carson (#1, small unripe apple) tied for the highest score with six natural points each. Chris is higher in the four-round rolling score - or, equivalently, in the five-round rolling score including their identical scores for the current round. Chris therefore wins the deal, with Mike the traditional “winnah.” Dan Widdis (#12) and Dodi Schultz (#17) followed with four points each.
> No, only three for me.
>
> —Dodi
>
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--

Dodi Schultz
February 7th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Uh, should read HOW?

DS

On 2/7/2016 10:28 PM, Efrem Mallach wrote:
> Right, and thank you for reading carefully. I read over from the scores at the far right of my spreadsheet to the names at the far left and moved down by one row in the process, so I read your name rather than Jim Hart’s from the line right above yours. He is the other player with four points. The sentence in question should read "Dan Widdis (#12) and Dodi Schultz (#17) followed with four points each."
>
> Fortunately, the list of scores is correct. The only error is in the verbiage that precedes the list.
>
> Efrem
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>> On Feb 7, 2016, at 10:00 PM, Dodi Schultz <DodiSchultz (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/7/2016 9:20 PM, Efrem Mallach wrote:
>>> Fellow players,
>>>
>>> Mike Shefler (#9, extract of alpine flowers used in perfumes) and Chris Carson (#1, small unripe apple) tied for the highest score with six natural points each. Chris is higher in the four-round rolling score - or, equivalently, in the five-round rolling score including their identical scores for the current round. Chris therefore wins the deal, with Mike the traditional “winnah.” Dan Widdis (#12) and Dodi Schultz (#17) followed with four points each.
>> No, only three for me.
>>
>> —Dodi
>>
>>

--

Efrem Mallach
February 8th, 2016, 07:31 AM
I shouldn’t try to do this when I’m tired. That sentence should, of course, read "Dan Widdis (#12) and Jim Hart (#16) followed with four points each.”

Efrem, hanging his head in shame

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> On Feb 7, 2016, at 11:27 PM, Dodi Schultz <DodiSchultz (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:
>
> Uh, should read HOW?
>
> DS
>
>
>
> On 2/7/2016 10:28 PM, Efrem Mallach wrote:
>> Right, and thank you for reading carefully. I read over from the scores at the far right of my spreadsheet to the names at the far left and moved down by one row in the process, so I read your name rather than Jim Hart’s from the line right above yours. He is the other player with four points. The sentence in question should read "Dan Widdis (#12) and Dodi Schultz (#17) followed with four points each."
>>
>> Fortunately, the list of scores is correct. The only error is in the verbiage that precedes the list.
>>
>> Efrem
>>
>> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>> On Feb 7, 2016, at 10:00 PM, Dodi Schultz <DodiSchultz (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 2/7/2016 9:20 PM, Efrem Mallach wrote:
>>>> Fellow players,
>>>>
>>>> Mike Shefler (#9, extract of alpine flowers used in perfumes) and Chris Carson (#1, small unripe apple) tied for the highest score with six natural points each. Chris is higher in the four-round rolling score - or, equivalently, in the five-round rolling score including their identical scores for the current round. Chris therefore wins the deal, with Mike the traditional “winnah.” Dan Widdis (#12) and Dodi Schultz (#17) followed with four points each.
>>> No, only three for me.
>>>
>>> —Dodi
>>>
>>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--