17:00 UTC on Wednesday 22nd July
18:00 BST for the dealer
19:00 CET
1:00 PM EDT
11:00 AM PDT
03:00 AEST on Thursday in Melbourne
05:00 NZDT on Thursday in New Zealand

New players are welcome to join in at any stage - just don't look up the
real meaning of the word before you vote.

-- Tim L

*** PERAMENE ***

a benediction.

[Obs. rare.] very pleasant.

one preeminent; a nonesuch. [Obs.]

a sandy tract or dune by the seashore.

[Gk] a tryst or clandestine meeting.

a tranquilizer employed in veterinary medicine.

a hypothetical situation based on science fiction.

Victorian mourning jewellery, usually made of jet.

a steep, high, or overhanging face of rock; a cliff.

a compound that can replace one or more amino acids in a chemical reaction.

a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH3 group attached
to a phenyl group.

a subsidiary tunnel in a mine, usu. for ventilation or emergency access;
(fig.) a secret entrance.

[Med.] exceptionally compatible; said of biologics destined for transplant
into a specific patient.

[Math.] a non-Abelian group that possesses exactly two of the properties of
an Abelian group (closure, associativity, commutativity, inverse element,
or identity element).

the formal response to the "prayer of humble access" [the invitation to the
communion rail in the Anglican eucharist] - literally "through the amen" this
is only found nowadays in extremely High or traditionalist churches

a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminium inosilicate and is a
source of lithium. It occurs as colorless to yellowish, purplish, or lilac
kunzite, yellowish-green or emerald-green hiddenite, prismatic crystals,
often of great size.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Jim Hart
July 21st, 2015, 06:39 AM
Ignoring the many chemical variations, but with a nod to the mathematical,
my votes are the secretive underground tryst - 5 and 12

Jim

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.

Efrem Mallach
July 21st, 2015, 07:09 AM
Not a vote yet - but definition numbers 14 and 15 came through one line too high on my computer. In case the text in this reply is garbled, I’ve attached a screen shot of what mine looked like with the offending numbers circled in red. Did this happen to anyone else?

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> On Jul 21, 2015, at 5:29 AM, Tim Lodge <5sfwiyj02 (AT) sneakemail (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> Here are 16 imaginative defs of the word PERAMENE, only one of which came from my dictionary. Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline of:
>
> 17:00 UTC on Wednesday 22nd July
> 18:00 BST for the dealer
> 19:00 CET
> 1:00 PM EDT
> 11:00 AM PDT
> 03:00 AEST on Thursday in Melbourne
> 05:00 NZDT on Thursday in New Zealand
>
> New players are welcome to join in at any stage - just don't look up the real meaning of the word before you vote.
>
> -- Tim L
>
>
> *** PERAMENE ***
>
> 1.
> a benediction.
> 2.
> [Obs. rare.] very pleasant.
> 3.
> one preeminent; a nonesuch. [Obs.]
> 4.
> a sandy tract or dune by the seashore.
> 5.
> [Gk] a tryst or clandestine meeting.
> 6.
> a tranquilizer employed in veterinary medicine.
> 7.
> a hypothetical situation based on science fiction.
> 8.
> Victorian mourning jewellery, usually made of jet.
> 9.
> a steep, high, or overhanging face of rock; a cliff.
> 10.
> a compound that can replace one or more amino acids in a chemical reaction.
> 11.
> a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH3 group attached to a phenyl group.
> 12.
> a subsidiary tunnel in a mine, usu. for ventilation or emergency access; (fig.) a secret entrance.
> 13.
> [Med.] exceptionally compatible; said of biologics destined for transplant into a specific patient.
> 14.
> [Math.] a non-Abelian group that possesses exactly two of the properties of an Abelian group (closure, associativity, commutativity, inverse element, or identity element).
> 15.
> the formal response to the "prayer of humble access" [the invitation to the communion rail in the Anglican eucharist] - literally "through the amen" this is only found nowadays in extremely High or traditionalist churches
> 16.
> a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminium inosilicate and is a source of lithium. It occurs as colorless to yellowish, purplish, or lilac kunzite, yellowish-green or emerald-green hiddenite, prismatic crystals, often of great size.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

--

Jim Hart
July 21st, 2015, 07:22 AM
I saw them all OK on the website though none of the lines were wrapped so
the last three went off the side of my screen.

Jim

On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 22:10:01 UTC+10, Efrem wrote:
>
> Not a vote yet - but definition numbers 14 and 15 came through one line
> too high on my computer. In case the text in this reply is garbled, I’ve
> attached a screen shot of what mine looked like with the offending numbers
> circled in red. Did this happen to anyone else?
>
> Efrem
>
>

--

Christopher Carson
July 21st, 2015, 07:32 AM
Something seemed off with the Feds that wrapped. The numbers and text are off. You can see the effect below and it's easier to see because of the blank lines between defs. In the actual dispatch of the email those lines aren't thee do things run together.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 21, 2015, at 5:29 AM, Tim Lodge <5sfwiyj02 (AT) sneakemail (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> Here are 16 imaginative defs of the word PERAMENE, only one of which came from my dictionary. Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline of:
>
>
> New players are welcome to join in at any stage - just don't look up the real meaning of the word before you vote.
>
> -- Tim L
>
>
> *** PERAMENE ***
>
> 1.
> a benediction.
> 2.
> 3.
> 4.
> 5.
> 6.
> 7.
> 8.
> 9.
> 10.
> 11.
> a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH3 group attached to a phenyl group.
> 12.
> a subsidiary tunnel in a mine, usu. for ventilation or emergency access; (fig.) a secret entrance.
> 13.
> [Med.] exceptionally compatible; said of biologics destined for transplant into a specific patient.
> 14.
> [Math.] a non-Abelian group that possesses exactly two of the properties of an Abelian group (closure, associativity, commutativity, inverse element, or identity element).
> 15.
> the formal response to the "prayer of humble access" [the invitation to the communion rail in the Anglican eucharist] - literally "through the amen" this is only found nowadays in extremely High or traditionalist churches
> 16.
> a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminium inosilicate and is a source of lithium. It occurs as colorless to yellowish, purplish, or lilac kunzite, yellowish-green or emerald-green hiddenite, prismatic crystals, often of great size.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--

Christopher Carson
July 21st, 2015, 07:34 AM
Ha! And the blank lines disappear in the posted version so the only show in the text editor iOS uses to compose mail.

CC

Sent from my iPhone

>
>
>
>
> -- Tim L
>
>
> *** PERAMENE ***
>
> 1.
> a benediction.
> 2.
> 3.
> 4.
> 5.
> 6.
> 7.
> 8.
> 9.
> 10.
> 11.
> 12.
> 13.
> 14.
> 15.
> 16.
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.

--

Efrem Mallach
July 21st, 2015, 07:39 AM
Actually, my original description was wrong. The numbers of definitions that wrap to more than one line came through on the last lines of their definitions, not their first lines. The last version was in larger type for some reason, so more definitions wrapped, so more numbers were affected by this.

Efrem

> On Jul 21, 2015, at 8:34 AM, Christopher Carson <clcarson (AT) live (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> Ha! And the blank lines disappear in the posted version so the only show in the text editor iOS uses to compose mail.
>
> CC
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jul 21, 2015, at 5:29 AM, Tim Lodge <5sfwiyj02 (AT) sneakemail (DOT) com <mailto:5sfwiyj02 (AT) sneakemail (DOT) com>> wrote:
>
>> Here are 16 imaginative defs of the word PERAMENE, only one of which came from my dictionary. Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline of:
>>
>> 17:00 UTC on Wednesday 22nd July
>> 18:00 BST for the dealer
>> 19:00 CET
>> 1:00 PM EDT
>> 11:00 AM PDT
>> 03:00 AEST on Thursday in Melbourne
>> 05:00 NZDT on Thursday in New Zealand
>>
>> New players are welcome to join in at any stage - just don't look up the real meaning of the word before you vote.
>>
>> -- Tim L
>>
>>
>> *** PERAMENE ***
>>
>> 1.
>> a benediction.
>> 2.
>> [Obs. rare.] very pleasant.
>> 3.
>> one preeminent; a nonesuch. [Obs.]
>> 4.
>> a sandy tract or dune by the seashore.
>> 5.
>> [Gk] a tryst or clandestine meeting.
>> 6.
>> a tranquilizer employed in veterinary medicine.
>> 7.
>> a hypothetical situation based on science fiction.
>> 8.
>> Victorian mourning jewellery, usually made of jet.
>> 9.
>> a steep, high, or overhanging face of rock; a cliff.
>> 10.
>> a compound that can replace one or more amino acids in a chemical reaction.
>> 11.
>> a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH3 group attached to a phenyl group.
>> 12.
>> a subsidiary tunnel in a mine, usu. for ventilation or emergency access; (fig.) a secret entrance.
>> 13.
>> [Med.] exceptionally compatible; said of biologics destined for transplant into a specific patient.
>> 14.
>> [Math.] a non-Abelian group that possesses exactly two of the properties of an Abelian group (closure, associativity, commutativity, inverse element, or identity element).
>> 15.
>> the formal response to the "prayer of humble access" [the invitation to the communion rail in the Anglican eucharist] - literally "through the amen" this is only found nowadays in extremely High or traditionalist churches
>> 16.
>> a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminium inosilicate and is a source of lithium. It occurs as colorless to yellowish, purplish, or lilac kunzite, yellowish-green or emerald-green hiddenite, prismatic crystals, often of great size.
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

--

Jim Hart
July 21st, 2015, 07:39 AM
Chris, as I mentioned above, I see Tim's original post OK on the website
but with no wrapping. And it looks the same when quoted in your message.

But I'm confused about "In the actual dispatch of the email those lines
aren't thee do things run together."

Jim

On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 22:32:35 UTC+10, Chris wrote:
>
> Something seemed off with the Feds that wrapped. The numbers and text are
> off. You can see the effect below and it's easier to see because of the
> blank lines between defs. In the actual dispatch of the email those lines
> aren't thee do things run together.
>
> Chris
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>

--

—Keith Hale—
July 21st, 2015, 07:49 AM
I saw them in my Gmail (the only way i play) as Jim described.

I vote 3 & 13
-Keith-

On 21 July 2015 at 07:22, Jim Hart <jfshart (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

> I saw them all OK on the website though none of the lines were wrapped so
> the last three went off the side of my screen.
>
> Jim
>

--

Christopher Carson
July 21st, 2015, 08:16 AM
Damn autocorrect. When the lines wrap, for some reason the def number comes out on the def's last line. It's as though the def numbers and text are different fields.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 21, 2015, at 8:39 AM, Jim Hart <jfshart (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> Chris, as I mentioned above, I see Tim's original post OK on the website but with no wrapping. And it looks the same when quoted in your message.
>
> But I'm confused about "In the actual dispatch of the email those lines aren't thee do things run together."
>
> Jim
>
>
>> On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 22:32:35 UTC+10, Chris wrote:
>> Something seemed off with the Feds that wrapped. The numbers and text are off. You can see the effect below and it's easier to see because of the blank lines between defs. In the actual dispatch of the email those lines aren't thee do things run together.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --

--

Efrem Mallach
July 21st, 2015, 08:24 AM
Yes. The whole thing is formatted as a table, with cell contents vertically aligned with the bottom of the cells. Tim: Did this list start out as a spreadsheet?

When I paste a definition list from a spreadsheet into an e-mail, I first merge each number with its definition into a single field, so everything is in one spreadsheet column. I then paste the list without formatting to avoid this problem. Different combinations of software probably require different fixes.

Efrem

> On Jul 21, 2015, at 9:16 AM, Christopher Carson <clcarson (AT) live (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> Damn autocorrect. When the lines wrap, for some reason the def number comes out on the def's last line. It's as though the def numbers and text are different fields.
>
> Chris
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jul 21, 2015, at 8:39 AM, Jim Hart <jfshart (AT) gmail (DOT) com <mailto:jfshart (AT) gmail (DOT) com>> wrote:
>
>> Chris, as I mentioned above, I see Tim's original post OK on the website but with no wrapping. And it looks the same when quoted in your message.
>>
>> But I'm confused about "In the actual dispatch of the email those lines aren't thee do things run together."
>>
>> Jim
>>
>>
>> On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 22:32:35 UTC+10, Chris wrote:
>> Something seemed off with the Feds that wrapped. The numbers and text are off. You can see the effect below and it's easier to see because of the blank lines between defs. In the actual dispatch of the email those lines aren't thee do things run together.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
>
> --

--

Jim Hart
July 21st, 2015, 08:24 AM
> When the lines wrap, for some reason the def number comes out on the
def's last line. It's as though the def numbers and text are different
fields.

Like cells of a table that align at the bottom not the top.

Jim

On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 23:17:01 UTC+10, Chris wrote:
>
> Damn autocorrect. When the lines wrap, for some reason the def number
> comes out on the def's last line. It's as though the def numbers and text
> are different fields.
>
> Chris
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>

--

Tim B
July 21st, 2015, 08:45 AM
I'll try 4 and 11, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

--

Tim B
July 21st, 2015, 08:46 AM
> Did this happen to anyone else?

On mine the number appeared against the last line of each def.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

--

Judy Madnick
July 21st, 2015, 09:02 AM
9 and 10, please.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

--

endash@verizon.net
July 21st, 2015, 09:14 AM
I'll go for first and last this time. Numbers 1 and 16. &nbsp;&nbsp; -- Dick Weltz
&nbsp;

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

On 07/21/15, Tim Lodge&lt;5sfwiyj02 (AT) sneakemail (DOT) com&gt; wrote:

&nbsp;

Here are 16 imaginative defs of the word PERAMENE, only one of which came from my dictionary.&nbsp; Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline of:

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; 17:00 UTC on Wednesday 22nd July
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 18:00 BST for the dealer&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; 19:00 CET
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1:00 PM EDT
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 11:00 AM PDT
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 03:00 AEST on Thursday in Melbourne
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; 05:00 NZDT on Thursday in New Zealand

New players are welcome to join in at any stage - just don't look up the real meaning of the word before you vote.

--&nbsp; Tim L

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; *** PERAMENE ***

&nbsp;1.

a benediction.

&nbsp;2.

[Obs. rare.]&nbsp; very pleasant.

&nbsp;3.

one preeminent; a nonesuch. [Obs.]

&nbsp;4.

a sandy tract or dune by the seashore.

&nbsp;5.

[Gk]&nbsp; a tryst or clandestine meeting.

&nbsp;6.

a tranquilizer employed in veterinary medicine.

&nbsp;7.

a hypothetical situation based on science fiction.

&nbsp;8.

Victorian mourning jewellery, usually made of jet.

&nbsp;9.

a steep, high, or overhanging face of rock; a cliff.

a compound that can replace one or more amino acids in a chemical reaction.

a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH3 group attached to a phenyl group.

a subsidiary tunnel in a mine, usu. for ventilation or emergency access; (fig.) a secret entrance.

[Med.] exceptionally compatible; said of biologics destined for transplant into a specific patient.

[Math.] a non-Abelian group that possesses exactly two of the properties of an Abelian group (closure, associativity, commutativity, inverse element, or identity element).

the formal response to the &quot;prayer of humble access&quot; [the invitation to the communion rail in the Anglican eucharist] - literally &quot;through the amen&quot;&nbsp; this is only found nowadays in extremely High or traditionalist churches

a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminium inosilicate and is a source of lithium. It occurs as colorless to yellowish, purplish, or lilac kunzite, yellowish-green or emerald-green hiddenite, prismatic crystals, often of great size.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;Dixonary&quot; group.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;Dixonary&quot; group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com (mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com).

Tim Lodge
July 21st, 2015, 09:29 AM
Efrem

Is this better?

1. a benediction.

2. [Obs. rare.] very pleasant.

3. one preeminent; a nonesuch. [Obs.]

4. a sandy tract or dune by the seashore.

5. [Gk] a tryst or clandestine meeting.

6. a tranquilizer employed in veterinary medicine.

7. a hypothetical situation based on science fiction.

8. Victorian mourning jewellery, usually made of jet.

9. a steep, high, or overhanging face of rock; a cliff.

10. a compound that can replace one or more amino acids in a
chemical reaction.

11. a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH3
group attached to a phenyl group.

12. a subsidiary tunnel in a mine, usu. for ventilation or
emergency access; (fig.) a secret entrance.

13. [Med.] exceptionally compatible; said of biologics destined
for transplant into a specific patient.

14. [Math.] a non-Abelian group that possesses exactly two of the
properties of an Abelian group (closure, associativity, commutativity,
inverse element, or identity element).

15. the formal response to the "prayer of humble access" [the
invitation to the communion rail in the Anglican eucharist] - literally
"through the amen" this is only found nowadays in extremely High or
traditionalist churches

16. a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminium inosilicate
and is a source of lithium. It occurs as colorless to yellowish, purplish,
or lilac kunzite, yellowish-green or emerald-green hiddenite, prismatic
crystals, often of great size.

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 1:10:01 PM UTC+1, Efrem wrote:
>
> Not a vote yet - but definition numbers 14 and 15 came through one line
> too high on my computer. In case the text in this reply is garbled, I’ve
> attached a screen shot of what mine looked like with the offending numbers
> circled in red. Did this happen to anyone else?
>
> Efrem
>
>

--

Guerri Stevens
July 21st, 2015, 09:30 AM
I vote for 12 (the subsidiary tunnel) and 15 (the formal response to the
"prayer of humble access").

As I see the defs within Thunderbird, beginning with 10, the numbers are
misplaced. 11 is attached to what I think are the last few words of 10:
"phenyl group", and the pattern continues.

Tbird, in its copying of the original message into my reply, apparently
is taking the information as being in a table format, which may explain
something, or then again, maybe explains nothing.

--

Guerri Stevens
July 21st, 2015, 09:31 AM
Mine was like that too. Reading with Thunderbird.
Guerri
On 7/21/2015 9:46 AM, Tim B wrote:
>
>> Did this happen to anyone else?
>
> On mine the number appeared against the last line of each def.
>
> Best wishes,
> Tim Bourne.
>

--

Efrem Mallach
July 21st, 2015, 09:36 AM
Looks good from here! What did you do?

Efrem

> On Jul 21, 2015, at 10:29 AM, Tim Lodge <5sfwiyj02 (AT) sneakemail (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> Efrem
>
> Is this better?
>
> 1. a benediction.
>
> 2. [Obs. rare.] very pleasant.
>
> 3. one preeminent; a nonesuch. [Obs.]
>
> 4. a sandy tract or dune by the seashore.
>
> 5. [Gk] a tryst or clandestine meeting.
>
> 6. a tranquilizer employed in veterinary medicine.
>
> 7. a hypothetical situation based on science fiction.
>
> 8. Victorian mourning jewellery, usually made of jet.
>
> 9. a steep, high, or overhanging face of rock; a cliff.
>
> 10. a compound that can replace one or more amino acids in a chemical reaction.
>
> 11. a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH3 group attached to a phenyl group.
>
> 12. a subsidiary tunnel in a mine, usu. for ventilation or emergency access; (fig.) a secret entrance.
>
> 13. [Med.] exceptionally compatible; said of biologics destined for transplant into a specific patient.
>
> 14. [Math.] a non-Abelian group that possesses exactly two of the properties of an Abelian group (closure, associativity, commutativity, inverse element, or identity element).
>
> 15. the formal response to the "prayer of humble access" [the invitation to the communion rail in the Anglican eucharist] - literally "through the amen" this is only found nowadays in extremely High or traditionalist churches
>
> 16. a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminium inosilicate and is a source of lithium. It occurs as colorless to yellowish, purplish, or lilac kunzite, yellowish-green or emerald-green hiddenite, prismatic crystals, often of great size.
>
>
>
> On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 1:10:01 PM UTC+1, Efrem wrote:
> Not a vote yet - but definition numbers 14 and 15 came through one line too high on my computer. In case the text in this reply is garbled, I’ve attached a screen shot of what mine looked like with the offending numbers circled in red. Did this happen to anyone else?
>
> Efrem
>
>
> --

--

Tim Lodge
July 21st, 2015, 09:43 AM
I posted it as plain text rather than as a table.

Whatever I did, it seems to have made this thread disappear from the list
of topics on the Group Home Page on Google! I'll investigate further.

-- Tim L

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 3:36:30 PM UTC+1, Efrem wrote:
>
> Looks good from here! What did you do?
>
> Efrem
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> On Jul 21, 2015, at 10:29 AM, Tim Lodge <5sfw... (AT) sneakemail (DOT) com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> Efrem
>
> Is this better?
>
> 1. a benediction.
>
> 2. [Obs. rare.] very pleasant.
>
> 3. one preeminent; a nonesuch. [Obs.]
>
> 4. a sandy tract or dune by the seashore.
>
> 5. [Gk] a tryst or clandestine meeting.
>
> 6. a tranquilizer employed in veterinary medicine.
>
> 7. a hypothetical situation based on science fiction.
>
> 8. Victorian mourning jewellery, usually made of jet.
>
> 9. a steep, high, or overhanging face of rock; a cliff.
>
> 10. a compound that can replace one or more amino acids in a
> chemical reaction.
>
> 11. a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH3
> group attached to a phenyl group.
>
> 12. a subsidiary tunnel in a mine, usu. for ventilation or
> emergency access; (fig.) a secret entrance.
>
> 13. [Med.] exceptionally compatible; said of biologics destined
> for transplant into a specific patient.
>
> 14. [Math.] a non-Abelian group that possesses exactly two of
> the properties of an Abelian group (closure, associativity, commutativity,
> inverse element, or identity element).
>
> 15. the formal response to the "prayer of humble access" [the
> invitation to the communion rail in the Anglican eucharist] - literally
> "through the amen" this is only found nowadays in extremely High or
> traditionalist churches
>
> 16. a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminium
> inosilicate and is a source of lithium. It occurs as colorless to
> yellowish, purplish, or lilac kunzite, yellowish-green or emerald-green
> hiddenite, prismatic crystals, often of great size.
>
>
> On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 1:10:01 PM UTC+1, Efrem wrote:
>>
>> Not a vote yet - but definition numbers 14 and 15 came through one line
>> too high on my computer. In case the text in this reply is garbled, I’ve
>> attached a screen shot of what mine looked like with the offending numbers
>> circled in red. Did this happen to anyone else?
>>
>> Efrem
>>
>>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to dixonary+u... (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <javascript:>.
>
>
>

--

Tim Lodge
July 21st, 2015, 09:46 AM
Ah, it seems to have reappeared.

-- Tim L

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 3:43:43 PM UTC+1, Tim Lodge wrote:
>
> I posted it as plain text rather than as a table.
>
> Whatever I did, it seems to have made this thread disappear from the list
> of topics on the Group Home Page on Google! I'll investigate further.
>
> -- Tim L
>
>
>

--

France International/Mike Shefler
July 21st, 2015, 09:48 AM
I'll go for 4 and 8.

--

Daniel Widdis
July 21st, 2015, 10:23 AM
I'll keep my votes secret.

5 and 12 please.

On 7/21/15 2:29 AM, Tim Lodge wrote:
>
> 5.
>
>
>
>
> 12.
>
>
>
> a subsidiary tunnel in a mine, usu. for ventilation or emergency
> access; (fig.) a secret entrance.
>
>

--

Efrem Mallach
July 21st, 2015, 12:23 PM
6 and 8??? Maybe?

Efrem

> On Jul 21, 2015, at 10:43 AM, Tim Lodge <5sfwiyj02 (AT) sneakemail (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> I posted it as plain text rather than as a table.
>
> Whatever I did, it seems to have made this thread disappear from the list of topics on the Group Home Page on Google! I'll investigate further.
>
> -- Tim L
>
> On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 3:36:30 PM UTC+1, Efrem wrote:
> Looks good from here! What did you do?
>
> Efrem
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>> On Jul 21, 2015, at 10:29 AM, Tim Lodge <5sfw... (AT) sneakemail (DOT) com <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>> Efrem
>>
>> Is this better?
>>
>> 6. a tranquilizer employed in veterinary medicine.
>>
>> 8. Victorian mourning jewellery, usually made of jet.
>>

--

Dave Cunningham
July 21st, 2015, 01:18 PM
2 and 12 to spread things out a tad

Dave

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 5:29:50 AM UTC-4, Tim Lodge wrote:

> Here are 16 imaginative defs of the word PERAMENE, only one of which came
> from my dictionary. Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to
> this message before the deadline of:
>
>
> New players are welcome to join in at any stage - just don't look up the
> real meaning of the word before you vote.
>
> -- Tim L
>
>
> *** PERAMENE ***
>
> 1.
>
> a benediction.
>
> 2.
>
>
> 3.
>
>
> 4.
>
>
> 5.
>
>
> 6.
>
>
> 7.
>
>
> 8.
>
>
> 9.
>
>
> 10.
>
>
> 11.
>
> a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH3 group attached
> to a phenyl group.
>
> 12.
>
> a subsidiary tunnel in a mine, usu. for ventilation or emergency access;
> (fig.) a secret entrance.
>
> 13.
>
> [Med.] exceptionally compatible; said of biologics destined for transplant
> into a specific patient.
>
> 14.
>
> [Math.] a non-Abelian group that possesses exactly two of the properties
> of an Abelian group (closure, associativity, commutativity, inverse
> element, or identity element).
>
> 15.
>
> the formal response to the "prayer of humble access" [the invitation to
> the communion rail in the Anglican eucharist] - literally "through the amen"
> this is only found nowadays in extremely High or traditionalist churches
>
> 16.
>
> a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminium inosilicate and is a
> source of lithium. It occurs as colorless to yellowish, purplish, or lilac
> kunzite, yellowish-green or emerald-green hiddenite, prismatic crystals,
> often of great size.
>
>

--

Steve Graham
July 21st, 2015, 01:49 PM
6 and 8 please

Steve Graham

6. a tranquilizer employed in veterinary medicine.

8. Victorian mourning jewellery, usually made of jet.

--

Johnb - co.uk
July 21st, 2015, 02:33 PM
#2 and #13 please
*JohnnyB*
On 21/07/2015 10:29, Tim Lodge wrote:
> Here are 16 imaginative defs of the word PERAMENE, only one of which
> came from my dictionary. Please vote for your two favourites by
> public reply to this message before the deadline of:
>
>
> New players are welcome to join in at any stage - just don't look up
> the real meaning of the word before you vote.
>
> -- Tim L
>
>
> *** PERAMENE ***
>
> 1.
>
>
>
> a benediction.
>
> 2.
>
>
>
> [Obs. rare.]very pleasant.
>
> 3.
>
>
>
>
> 4.
>
>
>
>
> 5.
>
>
>
>
> 6.
>
>
>
>
> 7.
>
>
>
>
> 8.
>
>
>
>
> 9.
>
>
>
>
> 10.
>
>
>
> a compound that can replace one or more amino acids in a chemical
> reaction.
>
> 11.
>
>
>
> a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH3 group
> attached to a phenyl group.
>
> 12.
>
>
>
> a subsidiary tunnel in a mine, usu. for ventilation or emergency
> access; (fig.) a secret entrance.
>
> 13.
>
>
>
> [Med.] exceptionally compatible; said of biologics destined for
> transplant into a specific patient.
>
> 14.
>
>
>
> [Math.] a non-Abelian group that possesses exactly two of the
> properties of an Abelian group (closure, associativity, commutativity,
> inverse element, or identity element).
>
> 15.
>
>
>
> the formal response to the "prayer of humble access" [the invitation
> to the communion rail in the Anglican eucharist] - literally "through
> the amen"this is only found nowadays in extremely High or
> traditionalist churches
>
> 16.
>
>
>
> a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminium inosilicate and is
> a source of lithium. It occurs as colorless to yellowish, purplish, or
> lilac kunzite, yellowish-green or emerald-green hiddenite, prismatic
> crystals, often of great size.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
> <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.

--

nancyshepherdson
July 21st, 2015, 06:53 PM
>
> I'll take 3, which I love, along with 9.
>

Nancy

--

Dodi Schultz
July 21st, 2015, 07:08 PM
(I'm voting in response to the reposted list, the one with the number next
to the FIRST line of each def.)

I decline to vote for a definition containing more unfamiliar terms than
familiar ones. That eliminates a goodly number from consideration this
round. Not that it helps very much.

I'll try

2. [Obs. rare.]very pleasant.

and

3. one preeminent; a nonesuch. [Obs.]

—Dodi

--

Shani Naylor
July 21st, 2015, 09:51 PM
I'll try 2 & 13.

--

Tony Abell
July 22nd, 2015, 05:52 AM
I'll take 1 and 9, please:

> Â*1. a benediction.

> Â*9. a steep, high, or overhanging face of rock; a cliff.

--

Christopher Carson
July 22nd, 2015, 07:55 AM
2 and 12

Chris

Sent from my iPhone

>
>
>
>
> -- Tim L
>
>
> *** PERAMENE ***
>
> 1.
> a benediction.
> 2.
> 3.
> 4.
> 5.
> 6.
> 7.
> 8.
> 9.
> 10.
> 11.
> 12.
> 13.
> 14.
> 15.
> 16.
>
> --

--