PDA

View Full Version : Yanks Tied, Red Sox in BIG Trouble

Mike Landi
October 6th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Well, the Yankees fumbled game two. I turned it off after the top of the 5th. Good thing, the game came apart in the bottom of the 5th. I guess Wang did well, but A-Rod did not!

Meanwhile, Boston lost again and faces elimination at home.

Should I add "<smirk>"? ;)

ndebord
October 6th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Well, the Yankees fumbled game two. I turned it off after the top of the 5th. Good thing, the game came apart in the bottom of the 5th. I guess Wang did well, but A-Rod did not!

Meanwhile, Boston lost again and faces elimination at home.

Should I add "<smirk>"? ;)

Mike,

Wang did well through the 5th inning, but he started to come down from his over the top pitching style, which meant his arm was tired, not unsurprising as he is only 2 starts returned from the DL list.

He was starting to get fly balls instead of ground balls. The TV announcers noticed it, but seemingly Joe and Mel did not and it cost the Yankees (along with the errors that hurt). If they had replaced Wang at the end of five, there might have been a different ending.

Meanwhile the Yankee bats were silent. A-Rod walked 3 times, but had no hits and his error was pivotal imo.

All in all, the Yankees blew a game they could have won, but the bottom line is they didn't hit well enough and they fielded poorly.

On to Friday and Randy.

Judy G. Russell
October 6th, 2005, 12:44 PM
If they had replaced Wang at the end of five, there might have been a different ending.And, of course, there is always the question of replacing Wang with whom... Who's to say the bullpen would have done any better?

Judy G. Russell
October 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Should I add "<smirk>"? ;)Not yet, kimosabe. Remember last year and the Red Sox down three games to none...

ndebord
October 6th, 2005, 07:09 PM
And, of course, there is always the question of replacing Wang with whom... Who's to say the bullpen would have done any better?

Judy,

Well, Wang is a power sinkerball pitcher and when they stop hitting ground balls and start hitting fly balls, he is in deep do do. Add in the fact that he is just back from the DL and doesn't have his arm strength back and somebody, anybody should have come in from the bullpen.

I've said it before that one of Joe Torre's strengths is also his weakness and that would be his loyalty to his players. He tends to stick with people through thick and thin and sometimes the thin should have been dealt with before the roof collapses.

As for who should have replaced Wang, it would have been Sturtze, but his arm is hurting and since they have moved Small over to the bullpen, what better guy to give you 2, 3, 4 innings when required.

Anyhow, moot point. on to The Big Unit and a 2-1 lead in NYC!

<g>

Judy G. Russell
October 6th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Let's hope we get a game in tomorrow -- the weather is supposed to be lousy all the way through to Sunday.

Mike Landi
October 6th, 2005, 09:12 PM
And, of course, there is always the question of replacing Wang with whom... Who's to say the bullpen would have done any better?

That's probably what Mel and Joe were saying. <sigh>

Mike Landi
October 6th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Let's hope we get a game in tomorrow -- the weather is supposed to be lousy all the way through to Sunday.

You know, if we have a rainout, which looks very likely, that would help the Yanks. It would give Moose more time to rest.

Mike Landi
October 6th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Not yet, kimosabe. Remember last year and the Red Sox down three games to none...

I was talking to a Sox fan today. He said they were done. I was saying "remember last year". Very odd juxtaposition.

Judy G. Russell
October 6th, 2005, 10:19 PM
The problem would be if we were rained out both Friday and Saturday (which now appears possible). Trying to schedule the rest of the games would be difficult.

Judy G. Russell
October 6th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Nick says Aaron Small, and he'd certainly have been the best of the bunch.

Judy G. Russell
October 6th, 2005, 10:20 PM
He said they were done. I was saying "remember last year". Very odd juxtaposition.ROFL!!! Yeah, that is a bit odd...

Mike Landi
October 7th, 2005, 08:36 AM
The problem would be if we were rained out both Friday and Saturday (which now appears possible). Trying to schedule the rest of the games would be difficult.

Has there ever been a playoff doubleheader?

Mike Landi
October 7th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Nick says Aaron Small, and he'd certainly have been the best of the bunch.

I think so. However, it is hard to argue with Joe and Mel. They certainly knew what they were doing this year.

They've done this so many times in the last 10 years that dumb luck does not cover it.

chm
October 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Yep, I'm looking forward to the Angels eliminating the Yankees. : )

<ducking the baseballs thrown at my head by the Yankee fans here>

Carolyn
http://carolynhmayer.com
http://groovyladies.blogspot.com

Judy G. Russell
October 7th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Has there ever been a playoff doubleheader?I dunno... but it's raining pretty hard right now...

Judy G. Russell
October 7th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Yep, I'm looking forward to the Angels eliminating the Yankees. : )No matter who wins, I have to think the White Sox have the inside track at this point. They sure look good.

Judy G. Russell
October 7th, 2005, 05:26 PM
They've done this so many times in the last 10 years that dumb luck does not cover it.Luck, maybe. Dumb, never.

chm
October 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM
No matter who wins, I have to think the White Sox have the inside track at this point. They sure look good.
Yeah, the Sox scare me. They could be trouble. They've had a big lead most of the season.

The good news is that while I would want the Angels to win, the Sox were my childhood favorites, so it wouldn't be that bad if they won the World Series.

This belongs in the Nostalgia Lane thread perhaps, but I clearly remember the Go Go White Sox of 1959. And I still don't like the Dodgers for beating the Sox in that World Series. Well, the Dodgers are annoying, anyway, in a Yankee kind of big-headed way.

The White Sox vs. the Dodgers in the 1959 Series. (Nellie Fox - 2B and Luis Aparicio - SS were my favorite players.) I was in fourth grade! So, yeah, the Sox winning wouldn't be so bad really.

chm

Judy G. Russell
October 8th, 2005, 05:43 PM
If the Angels beat us, I'm afraid I'm going to have to root for the White Sox on the general theory that any team that hasn't won since Shoeless Joe deserves it.

Mike Landi
October 8th, 2005, 08:04 PM
If the Angels beat us, I'm afraid I'm going to have to root for the White Sox on the general theory that any team that hasn't won since Shoeless Joe deserves it.

I'm with you. I also want to see El Duque and Contrares in the World Series.

Judy G. Russell
October 8th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I also want to see El Duque and Contrares in the World Series.<sob> But they should be wearing PINSTRIPES!!!

Mike Landi
October 9th, 2005, 08:48 PM
<sob> But they should be wearing PINSTRIPES!!!

At least El Duque. Contreres could not pitch for us. Orlando could. We were fools to let him go.

Judy G. Russell
October 10th, 2005, 12:03 AM
We were fools to let him go.That could be said about a few other pitchers... Pettite... Clemens...

Mike Landi
October 10th, 2005, 08:57 AM
That could be said about a few other pitchers... Pettite... Clemens...

Halsey, Lilly, ....

ndebord
October 10th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Sob.

ML> I also want to see El Duque and Contrares in the World Series.

JGR> But they should be wearing PINSTRIPES!!

ML> Halsey, Lilly, ...

JGR>... Pettite... Clemens...

What a list of good pitchers gone bye bye!

Add Clausen into that list too and how about a catcher too? Navaro (sp) who is starting to do good in the majors too.

And what a year Brain, ah Brian Cashman has had. Promoting Cano, Wang, and Small and picking up Chacon when nobody else wanted him. (Figures that the Tampa sycophants want him fired and Torre replaced by Pinella.) If Cashman goes, the Tampa people will be in charge and I wonder if Joe and Mel stick around for another year?

Judy G. Russell
October 10th, 2005, 12:41 PM
And what a year Brain, ah Brian Cashman has had. Promoting Cano, Wang, and Small and picking up Chacon when nobody else wanted him. (Figures that the Tampa sycophants want him fired and Torre replaced by Pinella.) Cashman understands one thing that Boss George has not always understood: you have to have young talent. You can't always go out and buy what you need, and what you buy may not deliver (can we say "Randy Johnson in Game 3," boys and girls?).

If Cashman goes, the Tampa people will be in charge and I wonder if Joe and Mel stick around for another year?Joe and Mel are the difference between being in the playoffs and being 10 games out of the playoffs.

ndebord
October 10th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Cashman understands one thing that Boss George has not always understood: you have to have young talent. You can't always go out and buy what you need, and what you buy may not deliver (can we say "Randy Johnson in Game 3," boys and girls?).

Joe and Mel are the difference between being in the playoffs and being 10 games out of the playoffs.

Judy,

I've got this feeling that win, lose or draw, this is the last year for Torre. No reason, just a feeling.

Judy G. Russell
October 10th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I've got this feeling that win, lose or draw, this is the last year for Torre. No reason, just a feeling.I'm afraid you might be right... and that would surely be a loss -- BIG time. Much bigger than losing tonight's one game.

Mike Landi
October 11th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I've got this feeling that win, lose or draw, this is the last year for Torre. No reason, just a feeling.

That would be horrible.

Torre is the one who held the team togother. Cashman patched up the team that the Tampa group build and Torre made them work.

George needs only to look in the mirror for fault.

Judy G. Russell
October 12th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Cashman patched up the team that the Tampa group build and Torre made them work.Now don't give Cashman a total pass... can we say "Jared Wright", boys and girls? And some of his other picks weren't so good either.

Mike Landi
October 12th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Now don't give Cashman a total pass... can we say "Jared Wright", boys and girls? And some of his other picks weren't so good either.

And what was better out there. Boss Loon wanted arms, Brian had to get them. Now, if he passed over a Ted Lilly type for Wright, I'd agree with you. I remember us complaining that there was no one out there to "buy".

Judy G. Russell
October 13th, 2005, 12:24 AM
And what was better out there.Well [she said, unhappily] there is that...

Mike Landi
October 13th, 2005, 09:26 AM
...and here we go...

Stottlemyre is gone, and took a shot at The Loon. What's next?

ndebord
October 13th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I'm afraid you might be right... and that would surely be a loss -- BIG time. Much bigger than losing tonight's one game.

Judy,

Well the first leg of tripod is gone. Mel retired and as you noted, fired a shot over the bow of Mad King George. We only have to wait until the 31st to find Cashman a new employee at Philly. Torre, for the first time in modern memory, did not attend his post-season news conference.

(Stick, the architect of those Yankee World Series teams, has already been marginalized by the Tampa Syncophants.)

ndebord
October 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Now don't give Cashman a total pass... can we say "Jared Wright", boys and girls? And some of his other picks weren't so good either.

Judy,

Jared Wright has brief moments of greatness, followed by bad luck and injuries. I give Cashman a pass on him. Pavano (sp), however, was a bad deal all the way around. (Was he a Cashman pick or a Tampa pick...inquiring minds...)

Judy G. Russell
October 14th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I thought Pavano was a Cashman pick.

Judy G. Russell
October 14th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Well the first leg of tripod is gone. Mel retired and as you noted, fired a shot over the bow of Mad King George. We only have to wait until the 31st to find Cashman a new employee at Philly. Torre, for the first time in modern memory, did not attend his post-season news conference.Sigh... I have a feeling we could be in for a few very difficult years...

Judy G. Russell
October 14th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Stottlemyre is gone, and took a shot at The Loon. What's next?I can't imagine it'll be good, whatever it is. I expect we're going to have a few bad years with no baseball in NY in October...

Mike Landi
October 14th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I thought Pavano was a Cashman pick.

I don't know. Nick probably does. Either way, overspend on moderate talent.

Mike Landi
October 14th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I can't imagine it'll be good, whatever it is. I expect we're going to have a few bad years with no baseball in NY in October...

<sigh> I hope not.