PDA

View Full Version : [Dixonary] Results of Round 2613: Plouter

Efrem Mallach
June 4th, 2015, 08:05 AM
The deadline has passed, the votes are in, and …

PLOUTER means definition 9: a Scottish word for "to splash around in something wet." I must not be very good at choosing hard words. Again (in my recent deals) the dictionary got more votes than any player, 7.

In case anyone is curious, I found PLOUTER in my alumni magazine. A recently deceased poet was, according to his obituary, fond of using obscure words. They gave a few examples, including this one. I confirmed it with a dictionary before using it, of course. I don 't want to identify the poet or the school, since there were other examples in the obit that I may want to use in the future. Maybe they'll be more obscure than this one apparently was.

Among humans, Messrs. Lodge and Shefler had six points each. Tim Lodge's fireproof mold for lost-wax casting got six votes, making him the next dealer. Mike Shefler, whose six points include two for voting for the correct definition, is in the coveted "real winner" spot. Jim Hart was close behind with a natural 5. Full results follow.

1. a large umbrella. From Schultz, D. who voted *9*, 13. Voted for by: Abell, Hart. Score: 4.

2. a vengeful person. From Stevens, G. who voted 12, 18. Voted for by: Weltz. Score: 1.

3. a saddle-tree-maker. From Naylor, S. who voted *9*, 16. Voted for by: None. Score: 2.

4. noisy talk; chatter. From Carson, C. who voted *9*, 17. Voted for by: Bourne, Lodge. Score: 4.

5. merely [_obs. or dial._]. From Keating, P. who voted 13, 16. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

6. to toil; to work long and hard. From Kornelis, H. who voted 8, 14. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

7. poor wretch; self-pitying person. From Madnick, J. who voted 16, 17. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

8. a pigeon with brown and white feathers. From Weltz, D. who voted 2, 16. Voted for by: Bourne, Graham, Kornelis. Score: 3.

9. to splash around in something wet [_Scot._]. From Dictionary who could not vote. Voted for by: Abell, Barrs, Carson, Hale, Naylor, Schultz, Shefler. Score: D7.

10. a category of homing pigeon bred for endurance. From Bourne, T. who voted 4, 8. Voted for by: Graham. Score: 1.

11. a device for making tongue and groove plywood siding. From Graham, S. who voted 8, 10. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

12. an unseasoned, ignorant, or clumsy sailor; landlubber. From Hale, K. who voted *9*, 14. Voted for by: Stevens. Score: 3.

13. to bathe; also, to dry or heat, as unseasoned wood. [_Obs_.] From Widdis, D. who voted 14, 17. Voted for by: Keating, Schultz. Score: 2.

14. one who thinks of the perfect retort too late; a slow-witted person. From Shefler, M. who voted *9*, 17. Voted for by: Barrs, Hale, Kornelis, Widdis. Score: 6.

15. the inward drop-off of a coral reef, that is, the one inside the atoll. From Barrs, J. who voted *9*, 14. Voted for by: None. Score: 2.

16. the final fireproof mold made around a wax model in the lost-wax method of casting small metal sculptures. From Lodge, T. who voted 4, 17. Voted for by: Cunningham, Hart, Keating, Madnick, Naylor, Weltz. Score: 6.

17. to wander or stroll aimlessly, usu. for pleasure; (_fig._) to move slowly or unpredictably, e.g. _ploutering clouds_. From Hart, J. who voted 1, 16. Voted for by: Carson, Lodge, Madnick, Shefler, Widdis. Score: 5.

18. in industry, a person or machine which removes excess plated material, usually from printed circuit boards (from _plate out_). From Cunningham, D. who voted 16, 18. Voted for by: Cunningham (doesn't count), Stevens. Score: 1.

No definition from Abell, T. who voted 1, *9*. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 2.

It's all yours, Tim!

Efrem

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.