PDA

View Full Version : HP to ship Netscape 8 on new systems

ndebord
October 3rd, 2005, 04:14 PM
File this one under the category of "There's a sucker born every day."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5887648.html

Judy G. Russell
October 3rd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Oh for pete's sake. Are they out of their cotton-pickin' minds? Netscape 8 combines all the worst features of Netscape with all the worst features of Internet Explorer, while subtracting all the simplicity and elegance of Firefox.

ndebord
October 3rd, 2005, 04:41 PM
Oh for pete's sake. Are they out of their cotton-pickin' minds? Netscape 8 combines all the worst features of Netscape with all the worst features of Internet Explorer, while subtracting all the simplicity and elegance of Firefox.

Judy,

If the cotton-pickin' good ole' boys from Compaq in Houston were in charge, they'd never have gone for this clunker.

<sigh>

Judy G. Russell
October 3rd, 2005, 04:50 PM
HP is going to regret this.

Lindsey
October 3rd, 2005, 10:59 PM
HP is going to regret this.
I never liked HP PCs in the first place.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
October 4th, 2005, 12:23 AM
I never liked HP PCs in the first place.Now you have another reason not to like them!

ndebord
October 4th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I never liked HP PCs in the first place.

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

Agreed I hate HP, but I love Compaqs...but only certain models and all pre-takeover. My Armada notebooks were the best of breed for their time. My current little 3 lb Armada M300 notebook has a keyboard that they swear is slightly shrunken, but it is the best I've used outside of IBM. The rest of the notebook is put together with fit and panache and the expansion chasis too is first-rate.

<sigh>

Mike
October 4th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I think HP has put AOL's client software on its PCs in the past, so this isn't a big departure from history. AOL is getting away from dialup, and given that (a) many more people have broadband, and (b) tend to use the software already on the machine (how many people use IE "because it's there"?), I think AOL's new strategy makes sense.

Judy G. Russell
October 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I agree that AOL's strategy makes sense (why spend lots of money to develop your own software when everybody is using a web browser anyway?).

Lindsey
October 4th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Now you have another reason not to like them!
Yep!!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
October 4th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Agreed I hate HP, but I love Compaqs...but only certain models and all pre-takeover.
I don't have a lot of experience with Compaqs, but I've always been leery of them because they were just too different from everything else. A friend of mine had one, and I found it very frustrating when I was trying to help her set it up.

--Lindsey

Mike
October 6th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Dare I predict that at some point, AOL will quit developing the front end and simply distribute a dialer and a feature-laden browser?

Nahhhh.

ndebord
October 6th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with Compaqs, but I've always been leery of them because they were just too different from everything else. A friend of mine had one, and I found it very frustrating when I was trying to help her set it up.

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

Only the Compaq Armadas were great imo. You either love or hate the philosophy of the software they put on the machines, most of which you can uninstall or disable from startup, which is what I do with the superfluous stuff they throw into the stew.

The bottom line for me was that the Armada business laptops they put out were first rate in every respect and with tons of support, even to this post-merger day and lots of 3rd party stuff if you are inclined to go that way.

In any event, it is all dust in the wind, as HP won the day and I don't know which direction I will go next. It will have to be a touchpad laptop and they'd darn well better center it under the space bar for me to spend my hard-earned bucks!

Judy G. Russell
October 6th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Dare I predict that at some point, AOL will quit developing the front end and simply distribute a dialer and a feature-laden browser? Nahhhh.That's a safe bet at least as long as there are dial-up customers. When those become too few, they won't even bother with the dialer.

Mike
October 6th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Exactly.